Bass Neck Jig

If it's for tapering the neck from nut to the end of fingerboard, then a calculator, ruler, pencil, clamps, router and a good straight piece of wood does the trick. If it's to achieve the shaping on the back of the neck, then i'm afraid you can't do much other than buying a table router and a LARGE roundover bit, and even then that's just to get you in the ballpark. From thereonin, it's the buttscratcher pictured above!

Thanks all. Yeah, I figured shaping it by hand would be about the best way to go. I'm in the planning stages of a neck through body bass. I thought someone might have used a jig for this is all. I appreciate the replies. If any of you are interested, I found this guy while looking for info on the subject. Check it out.

http://www.geocities.com/philmailloux/

Thanks again.

here is a neck carving jig from a very well respected member around these parts:

myka neck carving jig

I dont know how much wood working experience you have but for most people i would recommend starting with a rasp - david's jig is brilliant but possibly not the best thing for a beginner - David will have carved a hell of a lot of necks by hand before making that jig and i am fairly sure that he will still do a lot of hand carving and finalising of neck shapes after he is done with the jig as well.

Thanks for that link, Wez! I might even do some sort of similar jig for the neck on my next guitar. I'm thinking, though, that a roundover bit of that size wouldn't make for a comfortable neck at all. Maybe I'll just use it to "hog out" the bulk of the wood, as it were. If anything, it'd save a bunch of time, and you'd get straight to the finer sanding/rasping. I'm looking forward to breaking in my new rasp set :D