newbie question- sorry!!!

Hello everyone! This is my first real guitar finishing job, and I'm looking for a good budget finish that will look real- you know, very shiny and durable, but relatively non toxic and hopefully easy to apply. I have a large shop with a million woodworking tools, but as far as finishing all I have is a low quality compressor and a can of miniwax polyurethane. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

Well if it's shine he's looking for, Danish oil won't have it...unless you shoot lacquer or poly over it. I just saw Varathane (the plasticoat stuff) in spray cans that had all kinds of clears for woods...they have come a long way since I first used their brush on stuff 30 years ago...I'm sure their stuff will give a nice glossy wood look easily. I'm almost sure it's poly...Vara(polyure)thane.

Please take your hands off the minwax!!! That's not what they mean when they say spraying poly.. they are talking about automotive paint. I've never had good luck with the minwax stuff, it's great for funiture but that's about all. You can use it, but you did say you wanted a real good looking shiny finish. Minwax takes too long too cure also which isn't good. As far as getting a paint that isn't toxic, I really don't think you'll find one that's not, so wear a good respirator.

Merci Saber, but of course you're right...yet G_urr_A was implying that in his post. And given how close I live to france (on sundays many ppl just have a quick drive across the border to get fresh baguettes for breakfast) I must admit that my french has suffered greatly since I'm out of school and have to do with much more English speaking people then French speakers. French was my first foreign language, but English has become something like my 2nd native tongue due to excessive use of the internet, music and in the beginning greatly to watching subtitled british comedies ;-)

so long

ace

P.S.: Derek, what you meant was "vive les restaurants" :D

uhm... i thought it was n'est pas. as in the verb etre....

You have the right verb but "n'est pas" means "is not" whereas "N'est-ce pas?" means "Is it not?" or "Isn't it?"

To get back on topic (I'm starting to feel guilty about contributing to the hijack), I'm planning on trying the Varathane Diamond clear finish on the back of a maple Ibanez Wizard 2 neck that I reshaped to my liking (I'm too used to the original thinner Wizard neck). It's not supposed to yellow like the original Varathane Clear satin finish that I used years ago on a Fender maple neck and even that finish came out quite nice and durable. I also scalloped the Wizard's fretboard thanks to Brians excellent tutorials (that's what I got this neck for in the first place). I've finally tried playing a scalloped fretboard after all these years of wondering what John McLaughlin was making a fuss about. Initially it felt kind of strange but after a few days I'm starting to love the wide effortless vibrato that it allows. There's no friction to impede the exact expressivity (I think this is the word's correct use but won't guarantee it :D ) that your brain wants your fingers to convey. Oops, am I hi-jacking? I'm incorrigible. B)

uhm... i thought it was n'est pas. as in the verb etre....

You have the right verb but "n'est pas" means "is not" whereas "N'est-ce pas?" means "Is it not?" or "Isn't it?"

first of all, thanks for clearing up the french thing. I had a test today...oh ****.

But second of all, to not hijack. Can you pick up varathane aerosol spray clear coats anywhere? Home Depot, Canadian tire etc? I don't remember seeing anything like that.

Maybe its Nez Perce...?

...and like Brian said, the Minwax will do just fine if you wait long enough for the cure. Like, a month or two (not that long if you have a day job...). Then it'll polish up quite nice.

For my clear coats I've been using fast-dry polyurethane (not the water-based "polycrylic" stuff which ambers more) in off-the-shelf spray cans from the Depot, 15-20 minutes between coats, 6-8 coats applied with the body lying flat (not hanging), about 1 can will cover the entire body (but also sputters when it gets low...). It is a thin coat, but won't impede the resonance and polishes up nicely.