My Guitar Building Project - Jackson Randy Rhoads

Hahaha, I am surprized that you didn't ask about the spruce too...

Well, I have absolutely NO access to quality tonewoods and luthier's supplies.

Don't have cash to order them online and pay for expensive overseas shipping too.

Where I live no carpenter works with anything else but spruce, pine and beech. So my choices were pretty limited to these woods.

This is my very first "from scratch" guitar (been doing only very basic guitar repair jobs like refretting and guitar setups so far) and I just decided to make it out of whatever I had at hand.

And I didn't have much, apparently...

I can't even make my own neck and I am forced to buy one because I can not find Maple anywhere. No body uses this lovely wood and they are even surprised and think you are crazy if you ask them about anything else but Pine, Spruce or Beech.

No warehouse or wood supplier carries anything but these woods and no carpenter cares to use other woods besides these three species.

They also use MDF, Plywood, PCV sheets and have millions of varieties of these artificial things but who needs them anyway?!...

Not cool, eh? :D

Wow! Fingers way too close to blades! Give your dad a good stern talking-to.

Yeah, I told my old man that this rusty thing is not going to forgive him if he makes the slightest mistake. Ge's brave I guess.

Then I saw a professional carpenter doing this on a huge jointer. He did the same - hi put his hand over the plank and was careless of the scary blade underneath it. :D

@Cyclone, I live in Europe. Far from Louisiana, man.

Actually, I don't need spruce. Have plenty of it already - it is great for acoustics but i don't know how it would sound on an electric.

I will try to order some Maple from a forestry yard or something.

Sorry to hear that you are in Europe. Had you been in the states I would have been more than happy to help you out with some hardwood.

Thanks man.

My next project is going to be a copy of that freaking cool Jeff Waters signature Ran.

I may be able to find some maple from a few local alternative sources (this excludes all the carpenters and timber yards - they don't bother dealing with maple for sure).

If I was unable to get "normal" guitar woods, I would try making a neck out of beech. It is a hardwood, I think?

Yes, I thought of that too. Beech is used for necks pretty often here, in Europe.

But it is very unstable. Chances that the neck will warp ar elike 80%.

In other words, I don't have access to well prepared steam dried, aged and stabilized beech. Just the timber they are using for rough construction beams. :D

If I was unable to get "normal" guitar woods, I would try making a neck out of beech. It is a hardwood, I think?

Yes, I thought of that too. Beech is used for necks pretty often here, in Europe.

But it is very unstable. Chances that the neck will warp ar elike 80%.

In other words, I don't have access to well prepared steam dried, aged and stabilized beech. Just the timber they are using for rough construction beams. :D

when i worked at a furniture factory, one of the woods they'd use was beech, and that was some of the most warpy crap ever.

Yes, beech is the most unstable wood in the world. Definitely not suitable for necks if not stabilized properly.

And even if you use good quality beech, there's still a huge chance that it will warp.

It produces almost the same sound as maple, though. If it was not that unstable, it would be an awesome tonewood.

For thos ehwo can't watch my videos on YouTube: I will post pics soon.

When i lived in Spain i was walking on the street and there was a plank of beech that someone was gonna throw away so i took it home , i thought it was mahogany or something similar, as it had a reddish hue to it and it was unplaned, so i couldn't see the grain very well. I took it to a wood shop and i was told it was beech...i thought of using it for a body, but then decided against it and left it there...i certainly didn't know it was THAT unstable...

Thanks.

I thought that the inbuilding of the beech plank was whаt people would consider "revolutionary" :D

Frankly, I have never seen anyone doing anything similar.

All the unorthodox things I did on this guitar were the result of the total lack of good tonewood around me.

• 4 months later...
Thanks.

I thought that the inbuilding of the beech plank was whаt people would consider "revolutionary" :D

Frankly, I have never seen anyone doing anything similar.

All the unorthodox things I did on this guitar were the result of the total lack of good tonewood around me.

Seen it here before, AND in a flying V... his name was Litchfield Custom Gutars. In fact... i reckon he might actually STILL be a member B):D

Forget about this topic, mates.

It is pretty clear that spruce just doesn't work OK, no matter what "revolutionary" implants you put in it (in my case - a piece of beech bread cutting board). :D

PS:

Pride?! B)

It's just an old and long forgotten "project" that ended up in the trash bin.

Actually it's pretty damn close to a humorous sketch and I am surprised that nobody has noticed the funny part yet. B):D

There is just one video of this piece of pine on YouTube, not two, but I must confess that it kinda made my YouTube account popular. Just like my other video about alien abductions and extraterrestrial dinosaurs. :D