JP sound & tone

mullmuzzler

• 4 weeks later...

if its john petrucci, the v-amp should get the tone, i dont think the 707 would be able to, its not very versatile, also he uses some 7 strings, which are thicker, even when playing the same pitch. he used to use an Ibanez, but it now with musicman. the ibanez had a more trebly sound, and i preferred it, as it was cooler, hehe

mike

if you want JP tone, then you need a MESA/BOGGIE triaxis preamp. you can get a seriously close petrucci tone. it's basicly a very crunchy bright distortion. i have a 5150, and i get a similar tone by setting the bass on 6, mids on 2.5, and treble on 8. i also have the presnce on8.5 and resonance on 2. then a little reverb and quiet delay. for leads he used a little more mids, but i can't figure out if he uses different amp settings or some kind of booster, like a pedal.

good luck.

ps JP uses meas MKII C+ heads, they are rare and expensive.

pps most of his tone comes from his fingers, not his gear...unfortunately. :D

Yeah, I know about the Mesa/Boogies. Tri-axis x2 and DC+ Mk. II (I have "Rock Dicipline" DivX). I wanted to know if I could nail his tone using the V-Amp II (its potentials). I am aware that at least 80% of the tone comes out of your fingers... There is a good story on John Suhr's site about that... Here it is:

The descriptions of tone are very subjective and can be misleading. Lets consider the primary tone generator! Many people don't want to hear it but it is very true. It is your hands.....

I was never so convinced as one day listening to Ed Van Halen record at his studio. The sound was fat, articulate and every bit his signature tone. When I looked to see what he was playing I was stupefied to see a headless, woodless Steinberger. Not only that but when I checked out the guitar later, the strings were very rusty.

The touch in your left and right hand technique can definitely make or break your tone. All things considered, one person sitting down with one amp, on one day, will come to tonal conclusions about different wood combinations. These are my personal opinions on how certain wood sound to me with my guitars and my amps and speakers.

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

i thought the road king was a triple rectumfrier? i had a dual recto for a while, liked it until the tubes needed replacing, 200 bucks later i sold it and got my 5150.

the RK has like 22,000 tubes in it. good thing JP is rich :D

my bad, you da man.

still the RK has too many tubes for the poor man.

long live solid state. he he, just kidding.