Steaming

daveq

Does anyone here have experience steaming wood for bending? I bent a maple top last night and it seems to have turned out fine but I wanted to see if there is a better way.

I used a regular clothes iron and set it to max heat. Once it was warmed up, I held it just off the surface of the wood for a while and tried to apply pressure to the maple. I flipped it over and steamed the other side from time to time. The whole process probably took at least 15 minutes (no clock in my work area). The wood got very hot and never really became very flexible. I was able to get it to bend using the clamps and eventually got it glued on.

I have one more maple top to do soon and I wanted to see if there is a better way to go about this. The top I just did was a bit less than 1/4". The next one will be exactly 1/4" so I'm anticipating a bit of a harder time with this one.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dave

Had a conversation about bending wood in the pub last night! One of my mates said that instead of steaming the wood if you compress it along the direction of the fibres and dehumidify it over a certain length of time (can't remember how long) when it comes out you have a piece of wood that is very very flexible. You bend it by adding a sprinkling of water. Dunno if it's true, but he's quite a reliable guy thats not usually prone to talking out of his arse. Might be worth a look anyway.

I also remember my dad tapeing the on button of the kettle down and using the steam from that (but everyone knows that method). Hope this might be of some help, I'll try to get more details next time I see him.

Good luck.

Thanks, I was actually reading that one today. One thing that bothered me about it was the routing on the back. Are they assuming that you are using binding? I don't know how else you could hide the routed channel from being seen from the side. Also, I can't tell you how many times people have said to not get water any where near a maple top - oh well.

When using steam:

How flexible is the top supposed to be? Should it be easy to move with your hands? I get the impression that it will only be moveable with significant pressure (such as the pressure applied by the clamps). By significant, I don't mean enough to actually risk splitting the wood, but it would probably require pressing down with some strength.

This is where I was a little lost when doing it for the first time. I thought that the wood would become pretty easy to move (almost limp) but that was definitely not the case. I know it's hard to describe in a message like this, but if anyone can tell me how to guage when the wood is flexible enough, I would like to hear your opinions.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Put it in the bath tub in hot water. Then clamp in the shape it needs to be for like 2-3days, the thicker, the longer. Then glue when it is dry.

The tub and hot water I use for "steaming" big pieces of wood. The dove soap thing? think its a joke. But seriously, the tub will do the same as steam. You may need to change the water a time or two. You want it HOT HOT HOT.

We have a video about how to make your own bows. It's been a while since I watched it, but I think I remember seeing them steaming the timber so they could form it into a compound shape. I'm pretty sure it was bows, but it might have been something else.

The steaming thing they did it in was an all over method, rather than applied at a point. They left it in there steaming for hours and then bent it by applying some pressure to it, rather than the wood just bending with human force alone. I think they might have also used pressurised steam... do you have a pressure cooker? :D

See if there's anything around your house you could put the top it while it is steamed, like a water tank. A big polysytrene box off a Hi-Fi or something like that would work great I would guess. The heat from the steam would be contained very well. I think in the US they even sell big polysytrene boxes like this as coolers for drinks at things like BBQ's. I've never seen them like that here in the UK, we have them lined in plastic instead, which is probably the same as in the US now as well.

So I'm a little confused how my bookmaatched maple top could survive the bath tub treatment. I would expect a disaster - so this method would probably be best for pieces of wood that are not already glued up? I'm still not sure how well this would work for me in the future (I already have the other one glued) since having one piece bent may make it harder to clamp while joining the two pieces.

I do appreciate your sharing of ideas though. I'm sure that info will come in handy some day.

ummm I don't know alot a bout steaming, but hasant your nice peice of maple just spent like two years drying out? :D

The tub works fine. I havent had any problems arise. The wood doesnt get as saturated as one would think. As long as the water is HOT. cold water wont evaporate like hot will