"fake" Binding

But then the whole thread is pointless. You've already concluded that just throwing some tape on there is fine, and you're clever enough to mask off the area in question, right? G'head and do your cheap fake binding... there's certainly no way to give you anything much by way of a tutorial for the cheap way of doing things. :D

The confusion comes from the false set of premises, and then some helpful people trying to show you that there are options. For example, if you hate the feel of PVC, then you can use wood instead. But... well... it's not like you really needed any advice, right? You could've just applied the bad paint and shared your experiences with us. :D

Greg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read my first post, please.

Really, it's all there.

I just wanted to know if painting is OK and eventually to learn if there are any other methods.

Didn't need any advices about wood binding or warnings about how bad a painted binding would look.

It seems that painting the fake binding on is OK and some cheap barnds are doing it. This is all that I needed to know.

Thanks, I will do a fake binding and sure will share some photos here.

C'mon, you're a drummer so won't silver gaffer tape do?

The funny part here is that I am not a drummer. Actually, I have never touched any drums (if we don'tcount NI Battery, FXPansion BFD and various drum loops packages).

Also, my English is shite, so I don'tknow what gaffer tape is but if this is something like those duct tapes - there is a guy on naother forum who actually uses them to apply cheap bindings. And this is not a joke. There was an army of lame ass guys who loved his duct tape bindings and asked for a tutorial on how to apply them. :D

I am not THAT cheap, though. :D

The point is that the method you are suggesting will look just as bad as that.

You shouldnt come here asking for bad advice and expect people not to point out that it will look like cr*p

The point is that the method you are suggesting will look just as bad as that.

You shouldnt come here asking for bad advice and expect people not to point out that it will look like cr*p

Agreed and lesson learned.

I will just try to filter the useful replies from the advices which, though rightful, don't answer my qestions.

Thanks for your help, guys.

It is painting time here. :D

Agreed and lesson learned.

I will just try to filter the useful replies from the advices which, though rightful, don't answer my qestions.

Thanks for your help, guys.

It is painting time here. :D

Forget guitars and music. Get your ass into the horror movies business. When I read the quote above, it gives me the same feeling as if I was drowning in a pit of quicksand.

You haven't seen anything yet.

Wait for my thread about the chainsaw fretboard slotting job I did recently to appear...

I remember you posing about some piece of wood, you had people spent time and effort trying to help you, now you want someone to approve a stupid idea like painted bindings. I think I remember seeing those on toy guitars. If your not interested in learing to build a guitar why post here, maybe some other site will be more appropriate like the toy makers forum.

If you are just posting stupid questions just to post you have wasted my time and many others on this site who have knowledge they wish to pass on. I will put your posts on my Dee Dee Dee list (For you american mancia fans). As bright as a 5 watt bulb.

You haven't seen anything yet.

Wait for my thread about the chainsaw fretboard slotting job I did recently to appear...

I remember you posing about some piece of wood, you had people spent time and effort trying to help you, now you want someone to approve a stupid idea like painted bindings. I think I remember seeing those on toy guitars. If your not interested in learing to build a guitar why post here, maybe some other site will be more appropriate like the toy makers forum.

If you are just posting stupid questions just to post you have wasted my time and many others on this site who have knowledge they wish to pass on. I will put your posts on my Dee Dee Dee list (For you american mancia fans). As bright as a 5 watt bulb.

Please, accept my apologies, Sir.

I am willing to pay you cash for wasting your time.

I am pretty serious.

How much? Is $500 OK?

By the way, if you have any tips about how to apply a painted-on, "toy guitar" faux binding finish, please share because this is exactly what I am after from the very begining of this thread. :D

DD,

By the way, if you have any tips about how to apply a painted-on, "toy guitar" faux binding finish, please share because this is exactly what I am after from the very begining of this thread.

This is what you asked for in your first post.

OK, I want to make it very clear that I hate fretboard bindings.

I freaking hate them.

Hate the look, hate the feel of crappy PVC plastic under your thumb, hate all the headaches that bindings cause to lutheirs too.

But I saw a few good guitars that actually looked kind of sexy with the binding installed.

So I decided that I will be doing a fake binding on one of my future projects.

By "fake binding" I mean that I intend to just paint the edge of the fretboard white (or creamy-white).

So, is this a no-no?

Is this a common practise at all?

Have anybody done this before?

What are the risks here?

And last bt not least:

What is the best way to apply a fake binding to your guitar's fingerboard and headstock without all the trouble a real binding job can cause?

PS:

No, I will not take my time applying a real binding. :D

The answers were,

1.Yes, This is a "NO,NO"

2.Common only on the cheapest poor quality guitars, or childrens toys.

3.Not likely, and even less likely someone would admit to doing it on a luthiers forum.

4.Yes, You risk damaging the existing finish, killing any value the neck may have had, having paint that is applied flake off or chip away in very short order, the neck may have a noticable(one you can feel) paint line.

If your going to do this. YOU need to figure out what kind of paint is on the neck, and select a compatable paint to use on top. You need to clean and prepair the surface as you would with any other paint that is to be applied over an existing finish(not sure if you have a finished maple fretboard or an oiled Rosewood, best be sure you know what your painting over). You will need to try to mask the neck off as cleanly as you can, since you are leaving the frets you will have to do the best you can to mask them tightly. You will have to apply the paint with whatever delivery system you have and are most proficient with. Then you will have to either clear the neck and try to make a smooth transition or leave a raw masked line.

and then you will have Lipstick on a pig ala Drummerdude. :D

Hahah, yeah.

I was thinking about the fretboard part of the "binding".

OK, the sides will be finish over finish (acrilyc). But since the fingerboard is rosewood (and quite porous too) I think I will have to fill the grain on the thin line that will be about to be finished. I believe that using grain filler would make the whole thing look less crappy.

Or do you think that it is not worth the effort because it is a rather thin line anyway?

My lazyness says "Don't bother".

My sense of pig aesthetics say "Go for it", so I am strugglling with a rather serious dilemma here...

If you hate the feel of PVC under your thumb and don't want to spend the time installing binding (and therefore refretting) then you're going to have to get rid of your thumb (or wear a glove) and then buy somebody elses time instead. Besides, paint doesn't feel any better than "PVC" anyway. If you have an aversion to PVC then try ABS, acrylic, pearloid, glass, brass, carbon fibre, wood, bone, jelly, clay or vegemite. All of these will have a better and longer lasting effect than paint. I'm afraid you're going to HAVE to find the time to do this properly or else you'll feel a right pranny for attempting something that most people would avoid out of general sense. Good luck, post your results and I hope you're able to prove the rest of the world wrong.

Have you considered the easier option of giving up guitar and taking up drums? It could be your calling in life. :D

Man, I just feel that you're considering making a potentially costly mistake doing something which might seem like a good idea (hey, ideas are what drives creativity) but compared to the experience of people who have been-there and done-that, it doesn't seem like a good idea. Chalk it up to experience and get to love binding materials!