"fake" Binding

OK, I want to make it very clear that I hate fretboard bindings.

I freaking hate them.

Hate the look, hate the feel of crappy PVC plastic under your thumb, hate all the headaches that bindings cause to lutheirs too.

But I saw a few good guitars that actually looked kind of sexy with the binding installed.

So I decided that I will be doing a fake binding on one of my future projects.

By "fake binding" I mean that I intend to just paint the edge of the fretboard white (or creamy-white).

So, is this a no-no?

Is this a common practise at all?

Have anybody done this before?

What are the risks here?

And last bt not least:

What is the best way to apply a fake binding to your guitar's fingerboard and headstock without all the trouble a real binding job can cause?

PS:

No, I will not take my time applying a real binding. :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I love, love, love binding, and it's certianly no harder to fret or refret a bound fingerboard than an unbound one, unless you're an idiot, and do binding like Gibson.

What I'm not a big fan of is plastic binding; wood wherever it fits.

Fake binding will look bad, I feel, so I say just skip it (or just bind the headstock) if you just want to look. Faux binding, PRS-style, looks fine on a body, but relies on a light wood (maple) with colour applied to everything BUT the binding area. Fake binding is very common, though. On bodies, anyway. Look at any sub-100 dollar acoustic or classical guitar at your local music store and witness the glory of painted on bindings, and the cheapness of the look. That's where I much prefer, say, taylor's big baby approach: show the two big-ass screws holding on the neck, and flaunt the fact you're not using any binding, and are using laminated back/side materials.

I am interested in a cosmetic binding effect on the fingerboard only.

Binding a whole guitar body in PVC crap looks absolutely pointless to me anyway.

So, how to paint (or should I paint at al?l) the edges of the fretboard so to make them look like they were bound?

Any other methods for applying a fake binding besides painting?

I am interested in a cosmetic binding effect on the fingerboard only.

Binding a whole guitar body in PVC crap looks absolutely pointless to me anyway.

So, how to paint (or should I paint at al?l) the edges of the fretboard so to make them look like they were bound?

Any other methods for applying a fake binding besides painting?

If you don't like plastic binding, why don't you use wood binding? Here's a pic of a macassar ebony board I bound with maple.

241252233.jpg

No thanks.

I am not interesetd in plastic binding, wood binding, abalone binding, mother-of-pearl binding, metal binding, water buffalo horn binding, Jurassic era walrus tusk ivory binding or what ever kind of REAL bindings are there.

Nope.

I have a neck that came from a cheap Squer. It is in great shape, has its frets installed and all.

How to apply a FAUX binding to this neck?

Thanks!

Ok, here's what you do. Tape off the area you don't want "bound," brush, spray, or pour on the paint of your choice. Allow the paint to dry, then remove the tape. Stand 20 feet away from your guitar and remark how it still looks like cheap, painted on binding. Play your guitar for a year, then note how there are large portions of the paint that have worn off and how your guitar looks even worse then before you put the fake binding on.

There are two other options, of course. First, you could live without it, since you know better than to try to half-ass something like binding. Or second, you could pull the frets, rout a channel for the binding, install the binding, then refret and refinish the neck.

I would, personally, let it be. Binding is a nice feature and can add some protection to soft woods in some cases, but it's not worth pulling apart a guitar just to install binding.

peace,

russ

Ok, here's what you do. Tape off the area you don't want "bound," brush, spray, or pour on the paint of your choice. Allow the paint to dry, then remove the tape. Stand 20 feet away from your guitar and remark how it still looks like cheap, painted on binding. Play your guitar for a year, then note how there are large portions of the paint that have worn off and how your guitar looks even worse then before you put the fake binding on.

There are two other options, of course. First, you could live without it, since you know better than to try to half-ass something like binding. Or second, you could pull the frets, rout a channel for the binding, install the binding, then refret and refinish the neck.

I would, personally, let it be. Binding is a nice feature and can add some protection to soft woods in some cases, but it's not worth pulling apart a guitar just to install binding.

peace,

russ

This really answers my question.

So, it appears that the only way to apply a faux binding is to paint it on, no?

OK, sure it will wear off. Any ways to prevent this from happening?

Any tips on how exactly to apply the "binding" so to make the trasition smooth and not-annoying to the thumb? Apply clear coat over it?

And it's absolutely true that I will not decompose a healthy neck and go through the re-retting hell just to install binding. :D

Thanks

:DB):D

Sure, there are ways around the problems I stated, but there is likely no way around it not looking 100% like real binding. If you're concerned with a guitar looking just the way you want it to, make your life easier and start from scratch.

Edited by thegarehanman

peace,

russ

This really answers my question.

So, it appears that the only way to apply a faux binding is to paint it on, no?

OK, sure it will wear off. Any ways to prevent this from happening?

Any tips on how exactly to apply the "binding" so to make the trasition smooth and not-annoying to the thumb? Apply clear coat over it?

And it's absolutely true that I will not decompose a healthy neck and go through the re-retting hell just to install binding. :D

Thanks

Go play an USA made Jackson, with binding, then tell me how the binding annoys your thumb :D I don't feel a difference between bound and un bound necks, BUT I love the way bound necks love, so all my guitars have bound necks B)

Go play an USA made Jackson, with binding, then tell me how the binding annoys your thumb :D I don't feel a difference between bound and un bound necks, BUT I love the way bound necks love, so all my guitars have bound necks :D

Agreed, i love bound necks on my jackson and my RG's, feel nicer and looks nicer.

^ My English is quite poor and often I don't catch sarcasm.

I am still looking for a fast, cheap (no matter how ugly) way to do a faux binding.

I just don't understand this. If you're doing this for only aesthetic reasons then what is the point in doing it 'ugly'? This is self defeating. Sounds like, if you're not willing to put in the time doing it the right way, you'd be best served not doing it at all.

^ My English is quite poor and often I don't catch sarcasm.

I am still looking for a fast, cheap (no matter how ugly) way to do a faux binding.

I just don't understand this. If you're doing this for only aesthetic reasons then what is the point in doing it 'ugly'?

This means that cheap looking things look appealing and totally OK to me. :D

I know tha tit won't look awesome like some $500 binding job. Heck, i am not after a $500 job.

I just need a cheap and fast way to apply a faux binding without it looking TOO bad.

Thought that it was all in my first post - I need a FAKE binding and I clearly understand that it will not look fancy.

Still, sticking tape (like that other guy did) is not an option for me. It's way too cheap and ugly even for a cheap guy like myself.

I understand your confusion. Whatever questions you have in mind, please remember that I am cheap and lazy and what you consider "ugly" is OK with me.