My Third Build

Thanks for the kind words. I never get a chance to show my work off except to my family.

Here's my secound guitar that I built.

leopardguitar2-2.jpg

The only thing that I bought that was mainly done was a presloted finger board. Everything else

was shaped by me.

Edited by guitart

Very cool! Thanks for sharing, and I hope to see more. I'm also not a fan of the finish (would've preferred just a clearcoat!) but you definitely succeeded in getting it to look like tooled leather, which is pretty danged cool.

Too bad about that bridge humbucker rout, eh?

Wow, that's really impressive! I like it a bunch :D

I must admit, when I saw the first picture, I almost had a heart attack... until I scrolled down the page. But now that I've recovered, congrats!

+1 I did the same thing, saw this beautiful top with carve, just nice, then started seeing all this gouging and mess and thought NO!!!! What happened? Then I finished scrolling was very impressed. I really think that kind of stuff is very neat. I doubt I would try it anytime soon, but I think it is cool and lacking in the guitar world. I really think the more subtle carves are nice, like that one you did doesn't draw all focus to itself, but just enough. Anyhow, hope to see more of your stuff in the future, definately inspiring. J

I must admit, when I saw the first picture, I almost had a heart attack... until I scrolled down the page. But now that I've recovered, congrats!

Yeah! That first picture scared the crap out of me! But seriously, that looks great, especially the carving. Great job!

:D

I did most of the carving with chisels, blocking out the shape and the depth. To get into the tight spots a dremel tool was used.

It took forever to do that little carving.

As for the lacquer finish over the carving... it's going to be a real pain in the ___ to do.

I should be able to get some more pictures of it this weekend.... I only get to work saturdays on it at my dad's house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 I did the same thing, saw this beautiful top with carve, just nice, then started seeing all this gouging and mess and thought NO!!!! What happened? Then I finished scrolling was very impressed. I really think that kind of stuff is very neat. I doubt I would try it anytime soon, but I think it is cool and lacking in the guitar world. I really think the more subtle carves are nice, like that one you did doesn't draw all focus to itself, but just enough. Anyhow, hope to see more of your stuff in the future, definately inspiring. J

Thats a very valid observation I think, why on earth is this the case I wonder, subtle carvings lend themselves perfectly to balance or offset the modern look of the electric guitar and it opens up a whole new design dimension, but above and beyond that, simply looks kickass. Those second round of finish photos (photo finish?) have got me liking the burst finish a bit more BTW.