What To Tint Expoxy With?

I haven't tried actual powder dye with it, but I've had great luck sanding Wenge or Ebony into the epoxy to darken it. If you sand with a higher grit sandpaper (220-320) it will yield a finer dust and will mix much better overall.

I've used the Stewmac furniture powder in epoxy to fill around inlays in rosewood. Worked good, just practice on scrap to make sure you've got enough in there to match your fretboard.

I haven't used their black version for ebony, though it's bound to work just as well as the rosewood version. I did have some water soluble dye powder from Stewmac from years ago which I recently used to fill around inlays on my ebony fretboard and headstock overlay. It worked well for me.

Not sure if you guys can get hold of them on your side of the pond but i've been doing some testing with gamesworkshop citadel inks mixed into 2 part boat epoxy for use on a black ceruse finsh/grain filling on some ash

Those inks are used by model makers for detailing/darkening and sofar the black i've used mixed well with the epoxy and stay black once it dried so might be worth testing if you can find them or something similar

When I did inlays on an ebony finger board, I used ebony dust to tint my epoxy. I was messing around grain filling and I made up some epoxy with a couple of drops of red Color tone dye(liquid) from StewMac. It made the coolest blood red mix. You could probably use a black dye the same way. I would avoid using the the powdered dyes though. I had some powdered dyes from LMII and they didn't mix well with epoxy.

Go to your local artist supply store and look for Lamp Black Tints All.

Will cost you maybe a buck fiddy, you only need a tiny bit, you need to be concious of the fact that you don't want a product that will interfere with the hardener and catalyst reacting properly with each other.

I would not use dyes for this, there are several other choices that will work available at your local artist supply store besides Tints All.

This is 2-part epoxy with colorant added.

EpoxyLeft-1.jpg

Go to your local artist supply store and look for Lamp Black Tints All.

Will cost you maybe a buck fiddy, you only need a tiny bit, you need to be concious of the fact that you don't want a product that will interfere with the hardener and catalyst reacting properly with each other.

I would not use dyes for this, there are several other choices that will work available at your local artist supply store besides Tints All.

This is 2-part epoxy with colorant added.

EpoxyLeft-1.jpg

that looks great drak! that sounds like a great idea to me!