Comissioned Build

A customer asked me to build him a guitar...which I'm still in the process of completing. At the same time he asked me to build his son a guitar. I started on both at the same time but as things go his son's guitar finished up first. Building a "Lefty" felt strange and uncomfortble and the worst part is that I can't really play it and get a feel for the set up. The recipient is a beginer and he can't give me feed back either.

Here is the link to a photoshow of it.

Dial up beware:

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/Gz6Ad3WS

i'm glad its not just me - everything i do when making a lefty takes twice as long because it feels like my mind has been wiped blank and i cant remeber how a right handed guitar is put together. . . bloody confusing!!

Beautiful work!

Thank you..the pictures really don't capture the curliness when tilted in the light.

Not wild on the body shape, but great work. And yay for skinny guitars!

His dad dictated the body shape...he's paying for it so I did what he asked for.

Lucky Kid! Good Job!

:D

Really lucky kid...also a good kid...he has his own lawnmowing business with about seven accounts.

oh man, i HATE building lefties.... they just feel all wrong.

I don't hate building "Lefties" but I don't enjoy it either. Mainly because I can't tell how it plays.

i'm glad its not just me - everything i do when making a lefty takes twice as long because it feels like my mind has been wiped blank and i cant remeber how a right handed guitar is put together. . . bloody confusing!!

Yea it took me a lot longer to build. Also I just barely caught myself before drilling the side marker dot holes on the wrong side of the neck.

Thanks for the positive responses.

Bert

P.S. if you want to see the kid and his dad you can take another look at the phptoshow link. I've added a picture of the kid and his dad when they picked up the guitar today. When they left my house they were headed to Sam Ash's store to buy a hardschell case for it.

Edited by Bertbart

Nice guitar. The shape reminds me of the Eppiphone LP100 shapes. I always thought that they should make a higher end version of the body shape. Glad to see some one did!

I don’t know if I would give my 10 year old a guitar. I know how I treated my stuff when I was 10 but then again, I didn’t grow up around guitars so hopefully this kids has more respect than I did when I was 10.

One mention on the case.

I always offer a case with my custom builds. I put a 10% mark up on it. It makes sure the guitar leaves your shop fully protected and adds a small amount of extra cash to your bank account.

In most cases I have to modify cases to fit my guitars since I focus more on extreme shapes.

Great work! Love the amber colour. Since everyone gets to point out a wee niggle based on personal preferences, mine will be this: the chrome pickup rings. I'm not a fan of single-coil rings in the first place (I'd even rather see just the side-tabs and no ring) but I think ivory or something less shiny would've been great.

Like tuba, LOVE the skinny factor. Looks awersome.

Wow, a thin LP style....it's only a little thicker than most LP's maple caps! Very nice work there, shame you're not able to roadtest it. I'm starting to come around to the idea of thinner guitars since I bought my Ibanez S. My only final hurdle is that i'm a bassist and I couldn't justify a thin bass!

Have you tried to increase the markup on those southpaw wheelbarrows yet, Bert? :D

Great work! Love the amber colour. Since everyone gets to point out a wee niggle based on personal preferences, mine will be this: the chrome pickup rings. I'm not a fan of single-coil rings in the first place (I'd even rather see just the side-tabs and no ring) but I think ivory or something less shiny would've been great.

Like tuba, LOVE the skinny factor. Looks awersome.

Chrome rings were per the customers request. I only followed orders on this one.

Wow, a thin LP style....it's only a little thicker than most LP's maple caps! Very nice work there, shame you're not able to roadtest it. I'm starting to come around to the idea of thinner guitars since I bought my Ibanez S. My only final hurdle is that i'm a bassist and I couldn't justify a thin bass!

Have you tried to increase the markup on those southpaw wheelbarrows yet, Bert? :D

Yea, it's because I have to assemble them with left handed metric Cresent wrenches. LOL

Yea, it's because I have to assemble them with left handed metric Cresent wrenches. LOL

Otherwise they don't go around hills clockwise, etc....