Sakura Svelte Custom

This is following on from this thread in the inlays bit - my first inlay

This is my first Sakura model, my first real inlay (apart from dots), my first maple fingerboard, my first bound fingerboard, my first maple front AND back, my first flame finish and my first semi-hollow. so, a guitar of firsts then.

This is the body with a test piece for the finish - (looks a little strectched in this pic for some reason)

th_10082007070.jpg

Here's the back to show the figuring a little (the marks on the front and back are from flatting it down a little with an angle grinder - i had to resaw it myself by hand, so it was far from perfect)

th_P7241533.jpg

Here's a few shots of the neck showing the binding and banding and also the inlay

th_10082007073.jpg

th_10082007072.jpg

th_10082007071.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh m'gawd!!! You're really one-upping yourself on this one, hoogle! I @*&$^@ LOVE it! The woods, that inlay, everything is just so damn BEAUTIFUL! So what's the wood on the inside of the cookie going to be? With a maple front, back, neck and fretboard, I foresee it being pretty bright, tonally. I like the banding between the neck and fretboard, too, is it wood, plastic? Where'd you get it?

the body wood is mahogany. the banding is some kind of fiber, maybe wood. feels like cardboard when you do stuff with it. i got it from stewmacs when i got the other things i needed.

a bit more info about it - stainless steel frets (another first for me! hehe). its going to have two bare knuckle p90's (maybe p91s) and a tuned filter for acoustic simulation, which should sound great with the semi hollow body.

i have one in my purple mirror guitar. sounds pretty good with p90s, should sound even better with the semi hollow body too.

started the carving - did the front and a little of the back. the maple is a little less than half an inch so the carve is quite shallow. you cant really see it too well on these pics but the future owner came by today and she loves it so far so thats good. the body on the bass side is rounded over on the edges, whereas on the treble side, there will be a small natural edge binding. you should be able to see on the pics what im talking about

th_13082007085.jpg

th_13082007084.jpg

th_13082007083.jpg

prostheta - yeah gonna route a lip. the shape around the cavities is such that the covers will (hopefully) bend to shape when screwed in.

hydro - no pics of the carving process as i only took pics at the end of the day, and with both the front and the back i did them both within a day. i do the bulk of it with an angle grinder, then clean it up with files and chisels

Sounds good to me - they're not huge curves, but it may kink slightly due to the curve moving in three dimensions as opposed to two. Then again, we're not here to make cylindrical guitars ;-)

On second inspection, the curves aren't severe in more than one direction so you're on a winner I reckon. I found an awesome plastics supplier in the UK who sent me samples of a few materials, one of which being black ABS large enough to do a cavity cover. That stuff would probably reshape itself to conform if screwed to tension and heated with a hairdryer....perhaps i'm going too far into this....

did a fair bit of sanding of the neck today, got a mighty fine blister on my thumb to show for it too. but then i got a bit itchy and couldnt wait, so i decided to do this

th_15082007061.jpgth_15082007060.jpg

th_15082007059.jpgth_15082007058.jpg

dont know if its gonna stay like that or have the red go around the right of the logo and to the edge of the fretboard. hmm i'll have to have a ponder. and yes, the logo looks a bit poo cos i had to route for it freehand and i slipped. silly me