Mahogany Les Paul With Floyd And Walnut Neck

whoa, i actually have 3 builds going on at once. 1 just waiting for some parts to assemble and be done, and 2 waiting for neck wood. here is the latest. les paul with a floyd, duel hums, and peruivian walnut neck. i will recieve the walnut next week sometime. should be a cool build.

DCAM0004.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/DCAM0003.jpg

Edited by killemall8

well, now i am debating on wether to use a walnut neck, because i already have a curly maple neck sitting here from a board that i got 3 necks out of. what should it be, walnut, or curly maple? and also, i found out that the peruvian walnut is actually tropical walnut.

DCAM0005.jpg

Edited by killemall8

I vote for walnut.

I vote walnut as well! It should look very nice with walnut. Once you've used up what you have in neck woods, you should think about doing a 3, 5, or 7 piece laminate neck. They are actually fairly easy to do and add a little extra stiffness to the neck, plus they look very cool. Well, best of luck and keep us posted. J

I’ve been involved in a lot of debate over weather or not Walnut (in my case black walnut) is stiff enough to be used as a neck. All of the information I found puts walnut between maple and mahogany in hardness and density. I built a neck through with walnut and I threw in two graphite rods with a dual action truss rod just to make sure.

Have you used walnut in the past without experiencing any negative reactions to the guitar? So far I’ve had no complaints with the one I made.

The reason I asked is, I left the neck a bit on the bulky side and the owner would appreciate it if we could shave it down to a thinner size. I’ve recommended that we don’t until more information is available to ensure the neck doesn’t go nuts on us.

I’ve been involved in a lot of debate over weather or not Walnut (in my case black walnut) is stiff enough to be used as a neck. All of the information I found puts walnut between maple and mahogany in hardness and density. I built a neck through with walnut and I threw in two graphite rods with a dual action truss rod just to make sure.

Have you used walnut in the past without experiencing any negative reactions to the guitar? So far I’ve had no complaints with the one I made.

The reason I asked is, I left the neck a bit on the bulky side and the owner would appreciate it if we could shave it down to a thinner size. I’ve recommended that we don’t until more information is available to ensure the neck doesn’t go nuts on us.

well i havent used walnut in the past, but i did use a curly maple neck, wich is almost exactly in the middle of mahogany and hard maple, and made it thinner than an ibanez neck, and it even fell off my bed and landed on the headstock, and it was still all fine, and no truss rod adjustment was needed. i think it will work fine.

well walnut as a neck...

i wanted to build a walnut neck as well. i asked a fellow luthier who build a walnut neck-through bass (4 strings). that wasn't the best idea, the customer returned the bass after half a year. fretboard off, carbon reinforcements, and new freatboard ontop. that was roundabout 3 years ago and since then there were no further complaints.

just some input for you...

greetings

well walnut as a neck...

i wanted to build a walnut neck as well. i asked a fellow luthier who build a walnut neck-through bass (4 strings). that wasn't the best idea, the customer returned the bass after half a year. fretboard off, carbon reinforcements, and new freatboard ontop. that was roundabout 3 years ago and since then there were no further complaints.

just some input for you...

greetings

Yup, like I said, that’s why I went with the dual rods and the two way truss rod. I also used an ebony board too. So far no issues. You could also stiffen it up by doing a laminate. Possible walnut/maple/walnut

• 2 weeks later...
I vote walnut as well! It should look very nice with walnut. Once you've used up what you have in neck woods, you should think about doing a 3, 5, or 7 piece laminate neck. They are actually fairly easy to do and add a little extra stiffness to the neck, plus they look very cool. Well, best of luck and keep us posted. J

well i had a few small pieces left over , so i diddnt want to waste them. so i made this laminate neck. african mahog, walnut mahog. came out better than what i thought. i think ill use this again. what do you think?

DCAM0034.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/DCAM0033.jpg

Many, many guitars have been made with Walnut necks, and it's more than strong and stable enough for use. No question in my mind.

Don't know about basses (don't build those), but it's not like basses have much more string tension. They just have much longer necks. I also always add CF to my necks, because it's cheap insurance.

I like it! I think that is a cool and interesting combo of laminates. I would definitely use it if I were you, just to mix things up if anything. Laminated necks are usually considered to be stronger/more stable than a one piece anyhow, so even if walnut was in question for strength(which its not) laminating as you have would help.

With that neck I might be tempted to go with a more classic/traditional style headstock. You of course do what you want because I feel strongly that people should build what they like, as long as it is structurally sound and reasonably easy to play. Anyhow, I think closer to an actual headstock headstock would be really cool with that laminate combo.

For some strange reason when I see the darker woods; browns and reds I see a more traditional guitar design and with the lighter colored woods; ash, maple and so on I see more modern designs being fitting. Not sure why, probably just my mind making some subconscious calculations based on all the guitars I've seen in my life and seeing a relationship in the woods used for each style.

In think about the headstock and scarf situation, I have been thinking maybe going with the lower scarf might be cool with that neck. Have you seen the ones that have the actual joint down under the fretboard area instead of the middle of the headstock? I am working on a similar neck right now, of maple and jatoba and I did the scarf in the headstock and am having to use some headstock plates front and back to cover the joint. The joint is actually flawless, but the maple looks slightly different on each side, so it makes the area of the joint fairly visable, even when you don't see a glue line. I was thinking of the other scarf for your neck because the wood combo would look cool as a headstock, meaning it would work fine with no headstock cap. Just a thought.

ANyhow, cool stuff man, I always like the look of laminated necks better, they also enable you to buy other woods in smaller pieces, use scraps up, and so on. Keep us posted on progress, but I say hell ya use that neck it looks cool and nice work by the way, it worked out very well and look great. Keep the pics coming and ask for a nice digital camera for the holidays or b-day because you get some nice woods and do cool builds that your camera doesn't quite do justice to! Best of luck friend, J.

Man you are like a guitar factory! Cranking out new stuff constantly! I like your work a lot, and I share that sentiment you used to have about neck building; frankly I'm afraid to do it.

hey, thanks alot man! most people cant stand my work. but then again, they dont realize some of us are only 18, like me. but thats why i build my own, because it is impossible to find a guitar that has everything i want in it. just go for the neck, once i planned things, even just a little bit, it worked out. even thou it was nowhere near perfect.

mockups

DCAM0044.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/DCAM0043.jpg

with neck blank

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb262/k...ie/DCAM0042.jpg

and also, my new favorite finish is boiled linseed oil. it is just as smooth as tung oil, and cheaper. and it darkens the wood just enough. thanks guys

Edited by killemall8

Nice looking mockup!! This is going to be another nice guitar. I really like the neck blank, it fits the body better I think, though the maple one looked really nice as well. How do you like the laminated necks so far? I think I will probably try to always use laminated necks, even if I just split the wood into three piece with some black veneer between the pieces. They tend to be stronger so you'll less likely have any problems. I think they look better personally and sometimes it easier to find wood for them. I dunno I like em. Anyhow, the guitar is looking good my friend and I can't wait to see how the new finish looks on this one. Plus, I bet that neck is going to be sweet with the boiled linseed oil on it. Well best of luck and keep the progress pics coming. J

Nice looking mockup!! This is going to be another nice guitar. I really like the neck blank, it fits the body better I think, though the maple one looked really nice as well. How do you like the laminated necks so far? I think I will probably try to always use laminated necks, even if I just split the wood into three piece with some black veneer between the pieces. They tend to be stronger so you'll less likely have any problems. I think they look better personally and sometimes it easier to find wood for them. I dunno I like em. Anyhow, the guitar is looking good my friend and I can't wait to see how the new finish looks on this one. Plus, I bet that neck is going to be sweet with the boiled linseed oil on it. Well best of luck and keep the progress pics coming. J

thanks man. i love using the multi lam necks. i will use them wherever i can now. it wont look that much different with the finish on it. it will just have a slight gloss to it. i tested it on a piece from the neck blank. looks almost the same. feels great tho!