Line 6 The Beginning Is Near

Daniel Sorbera

Yeah, that video's not helpful. It DOES sound like it's just a Spider with valves. That's more like Maiden's fear and less like my "custom engineering". Also, if it's using Pod 2.0 tones, that's not even the most up-to-date of Line6's modeling technology. Sheesh!

If it does turn out to be a spider with tubes you can write this off as another marketing stunt. Probably wont be anything to get crazy about. But we can only hope that is not the case.

we have some more details!!

The Line 6 modeler feeds a pair of 12AX7 preamp tubes. The first tube is set up as a cascading gain stage, with each stage contributing the harmonic complexity vintage amp players love. That feeds the master volume which hits the next 12AX7 configured as a phase splitter which is followed by Sovtek 5881WXT/6L6. There’s 2 6L6’s for 40 watts of class AB power in the combos and 4 6L6’s for 100 watts of class AB power in the head.

so it is just modelling technology in front of a valve amp. for it to be truly revolutionary i would have liked to see the modelling integrated throughout the amp, like having the modelled effects where the effects loop would be rather than at the front end- or even better have the choice where in the signal chain you want the effects.

I also think an amp with a valve power section combined with modelling would be nice i.e. turned up full you get full on power amp valve distortion but as you turn it down the modelling takes over to maintain that sound at lower volumes - obviously with the option to turn that off if you dont want it to do that! not even sure if that would work as an idea - just pondering how modelling and tubes could be intergrated better

http://uk.line6.com/spidervalve/specifications.html

Yep, it just seems like boring modeler in front of amp. That's disappointing. I'd have to hear it, but in my mind I think there are better ways you could integrate modelling with tubes. Problem is, it would cost a lot of research money; they'd have to prototype any ideas coming out of the think-tank, not just rush into making it. And it seems that after all the huge research that went into the Pod2 and PodXT, they're not in any rush to be revolutionary again.

:D

In my defense, I never said a simple modeler in front of an amp is where the revolution could be. I said that you CAN theoretically combine modeling with a tube preamp and that it had great potential that some people (ahem) weren't recognizing. This (still disappointing) endeavour hasn't PROVEN to be bad-sounding yet, either. But where I went wrong was in giving Line6 too much credit. I really did think that if they're already teaming up with Bogner, that they'd do something more interesting than this... so, there's still a bit of egg on my face, but only a little. And I admitted to being wrong, which freakin' HURTS me, man! :D

Line 6 has been overdue for some true innovation. Sux that they just keep rereleasing the same technology. Pocket Pod, nifty as it is, is just a Pod2.0, for crying out loud! Not even a PodXT!

From the beginning I know it! I have heard a few modelers in front of tube amps and they are used just to tweek the tube output to satisfy the player. There is not need for a specific line unless that they are going to make it more affordable to us. I think that this Xmas I will bite the bullet and get me a Carvin MTS half stack or the 2x12 combo. I KNOW this will be the way to go. If I want tube output I just use the GNX in the loop, and if I want to tweek it I just put it up front.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you did! :D But I guess that is what they are doing anyway!!! :D

Yup, much to their shame. By most accounts, the Atomic sounds quite good. But... I dunno... I think they coulda done something a little bit more forward-thinking than that.

• 1 month later...

So has anyone ended up trying a Valve yet? I sat down with one yesterday at GC before work and tried it out with some sort of cheap PRS, can't remember exactly what.

My thoughts: Definitely better than typical Line6 gear. Damn loud, too. It sounds more natural, responds like a real amp, and they definitely voiced the amp models differently. I've got a PodXT Live, and though the amp models sound similar, it's pretty easy to hear what sounds different. They're less sterile, especially where high gain comes in.

The only real downside to the Valve, though, is the effects are still typical Line6. The effects on the Spider weren't fantastic to begin with, but it doesn't sound like they bothered to change the effects at all. Reverb was pretty nice, though. The other (obvious) downside to the amp is the limited channels/amps/effects. The reason I bought the XT Live was because I tend to have a different patch for every song, and you just can't get that with the Valve. (And no JCM800!!!) And you can't hook it up to your computer and edit patches that way. That's why I'm looking into the Vetta II, more options, more versatility. If only I could cannibalize the head and run it straight through to a tube power amp....

Yeah, just bumping this because I didn't know if anyone got around to trying it. /\ Those are my thoughts, anyone else?