Thin Bodies?

Hi fellow Project Guitarists,

I have just been handed a few meters of 1 1/4 (32mm) thick Mahogany of some description and wondering whether anyone on this forum has made a body of a similar thickness?

I was planning on building a LP junior or a LP junior PRS hybrid if that helps in anyway?

I heard of some guitars by Black Machine (i think?) that were about this thickness, so i guess it should work but any opinions/tips/ideas/anything would help!

Thanks,

RG

Hi fellow Project Guitarists,

I have just been handed a few meters of 1 1/4 (32mm) thick Mahogany of some description and wondering whether anyone on this forum has made a body of a similar thickness?

I was planning on building a LP junior or a LP junior PRS hybrid if that helps in anyway?

I heard of some guitars by Black Machine (i think?) that were about this thickness, so i guess it should work but any opinions/tips/ideas/anything would help!

Thanks,

RG

that is cutting it extremly close. i have had trouble with 1 1/2" wood. i think the only way you are going to get away with that will be to put a top on it. especially for a prs or lp, wich are really thick because of the carve.

The last guitar I built was a hair under 1-1/4" thick. And I think I've done a few more about that thickness. Maybe a tad closer to 1-1/2".

Biggest problem is the jack, but I almost always use the flush mounts that only need a 1/2" hole. Some switches are a bit tall. But I haven't had problems with any so far. There is a big enough range of blade and toggle switches to find one that fits in your control cavity.

If you choose your hardware carefully, I don't see why it wouldn't work. You might run into some balance issues since the body will be about 30% lighter, all other things being equal (which they never are). Are you looking to build a thin guitar because you're interested in thin guitars, or because it works with the materials you have? In the latter case, I think you're better off laminating a top and/or back to your mahogany to get it to a more standard thickness.

I had a few things in mind for this timber, one was a carved top PRS style single or double cut, the other was a double cut LP junior (seeing as i have enough for almost 3 two piece bodies and as many necks i could do both)

I will see what i think once the body shape is cut out, then i might decide i want a carved top.

So i have decided to build a thin body "prototype" using my LP/PRS SC hybrid shape, from my calculations it will work with the pickups and hardware i have chosen.

Anyway, tonight or tomorrow morning i will glue the blank up ready to be shaped and routed.

Heres the blank against a standard sized body, doesn't look to small suprisingly! (its unglued atm)

p6230002ag9.th.jpg

Edited by RGman