Purpleheart

I bought yesterday 4 pieces of purpleheart, 2 of them measure 120 cm X 12 cm X 4 cm, another one is 120 cm X 7 cm X 4 cm, and the longest one is 200 cm x 7 cm x4cm, I paid for all this around 85 US$ at the official exchange rate of Venezuela ( at the unofficial i would have been 45 $ more or less) i live in Venezuela, South America and purpleheart is a local wood...

IMAG0001-13.jpg

Same as CMA where I live. Regular retail would be a bit less than your unofficial exchange rate. 6 bd. ft around here would run between $30-$42 depending on what retailer you bought from. That price would be for kiln dried, select grade, 2S2 lumber(full retail, cut to needed length* full board purchase not required). In larger quantity you can drop that price closer to $4 bd. ft., and of course you can regularly recieve 10-15% off coupons from most of you Rocklers, Woodcrafters and other national retailers.

Peace,Rich

I think I pay a bit less. A board 200cm by 15cm by 5cm would = about 6.5'x 6" x 2" so 6.5 board feet. That'd cost me $28 here in NC. Price is $4.30/bf if I buy over 6 board feet. Less if I buy 1" thick.

Odd that you pay more. I actually ordered a 75x20x2.5cm piece and paid about $12 with shipping because I was too lazy to drive for a piece that small. Gotta love the hardwood store on NC!!!!!

Todd

http://www.hardwoodstore.com/specialty.html

Edited by ToddW

I think I pay a bit less. A board 200cm by 15cm by 5cm would = about 6.5'x 6" x 2" so 6.5 board feet. That'd cost me $28 here in NC. Price is $4.30/bf if I buy over 6 board feet. Less if I buy 1" thick.

Odd that you pay more. I actually ordered a 75x20x2.5cm piece and paid about $12 with shipping because I was too lazy to drive for a piece that small. Gotta love the hardwood store on NC!!!!!

Todd

http://www.hardwoodstore.com/specialty.html

That is the same supplier I use, I live about 30 or 40 minutes away from them. I'm about to go get some flamed maple. Great place to get wood.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Hey Andy,

They do have an awsome supply of lumber. I haven't bought much figured stuff, but when I ordered a few 10sq feet of 1/4 bubinga on a web special, they sent me a beautiful swirled "waterfall" type pattern of 10" by 4' sequentially cut. Pretty amazing score for $30 including the resaw, planing, and s&h.

I actually thought they'd be closer to you and 40 minutes. I'm in Hillsborough and they're 30-40 minutes from me, while you're about 45-50. Must be a triangle even though we both would use rt 85.

Todd

$20 - $40 (aud) for a standard strat neck blank.

Well you live in Australia, the purpleheart trees are cut in my backyard!!! hehehe yet they are as expensive or more as the stuff exported to the USA and you get to choose the cuts and all, here i can choose the boards, but it's not until i plane the boards that i know exactly what i'm getting...

$20 - $40 (aud) for a standard strat neck blank.

Well you live in Australia, the purpleheart trees are cut in my backyard!!! hehehe yet they are as expensive or more as the stuff exported to the USA and you get to choose the cuts and all, here i can choose the boards, but it's not until i plane the boards that i know exactly what i'm getting...

Don't feel too bad, the stuff I buy at 4.30/bf is not planed, so I can't see the grain until after I buy it. But the price issue is strange!

$6bf around here, unless you go to a Rockler or Woodcraft. I think they get significantly more. I buy from the guy our local Woodcraft store does, but I had been doing that many years before Woodcraft came to town. The quality has been very good so there is little waste.

Now if I could only get wenge for less than $17bf I'd be happy...