No Such Thing As Too Many Tele's!

jmrentis,

Thanks for the tip on cutting height. I don't recall reading that in the manual, but it sounds like a good idea. The piece does have some pretty nice figure, hopefully the finish will bring it out more.

Xanthus,

I'll be sure to address the truss rod slot issue just before I install it. That's a great webpage, bookmarked it! I'm not sure what you mean by running the "router bearing up against" the fretboard though. Why would I need to do that?

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

• 1 month later...

Welp. I'm officially PO'd at myself. The fretboard moved during glue-up, so I attempted to remove it using the tutorial on the project guitar page; however, I could not get it to come off! I spent a good while just sitting there trying to get the glue to give, but it didn't. I then decided to skip all of that nonsense and do it the easy way. I was simply going to cut the fretboard off, salvaging it, and just make a new neck for it. I wasn't completely happy with the neck in the first place. Already a bit ticked off after all of that, I should have taken a break and gathered my thoughts. Well, you know what they say about hindsight. Anyway, I ended up damaging the fretboard enough to make it unusable for this project! Every time I think about it I want to slap myself....

I learned my lesson after that disaster and decided to take a break. I took some time to finish up my pipe and then finally began work on a new neck two days ago. I've managed to bring it almost to the point where I destroyed the last one. I didn't bother documenting it, since I used mostly the same methods as before. I got a new fretboard from Erik and it's very nice, so I'm pretty stoked about that. Expect some updates in the next few days!

new1.jpg

new2.jpg

:D

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

• 1 month later...

I need to stop promising updates. Every time I do that, it never happens! But that's ok, it's all good now. I need to get this bastard finished!

Finally tackled the glue-up again, and it went really well this time. Just a note: most of the glue-up pics, except for the third one, are from my first attempt. I followed almost the same process, save for the trick with the nails.

The Neck 28 - Applying silicon to the location where the brass blocks will sit.

The Neck 29 - Truss rod in.

The Neck 30 - Getting ready to apply the glue. I got the smallest nails I could find at Wal-mart, 17 gauge I believe they are. The fret will cover up the indentations left by the nails.

The Neck 31 - Glue applied.

The Neck 32 - Removed the tape.

The Neck 33 - Fretboard has been attached and the clamps applied. It's very hard to nail the fretboard down because the glue causes it to slide around. If you've got a partner, like I had, it's much easier. I left it with the clamps on for twenty-four hours and waited another twenty-four to begin work on it.

The Neck 34 1 2 - The glue has had sufficient time to dry.

The Neck 35 - Using the band saw, I will remove most of the excess. Patience is the key here. The band saw has no problem going right into the neck wood, if you let it!

The Neck 36 - Excess removed.

The Neck 37 - Time to bring the fretboard closer to flush using the robo-sander. The guide bearing is slightly larger than the sanding drum, so there will be a very small amount of excess left.

The Neck 38 1 2 3 - Done with the robo-sander.

I'm currently debating whether to sand the rest or use the router. I'm leaning toward the router, as their is very little edge left, thus tear out shouldn't be a problem (I hope).

What do YOU think? B)

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes sir! I was out of town for a bit, I meant to mention that... :D

I used the Robo-sander to shape the transition between the fretboard and the face of the headstock. There isn't much fretboard left past the nut. In retrospect, I should have gotten the smaller radius Robo-sander for the job. Because of the large radius, I had to go farther into the fretboard than I wanted just to complete the transition. We live and learn. I forgot to photograph the process, but if you really want to see how I did it, go to GuitarFrenzy's Stratocaster tutorial. I used the same process.

After I used the Robo-sander, I smoothed the neck (everything but the fretboard) with 180 grit. Here it is:

8251.jpg

The Neck 39 1

The next step is to put in the side dots. I'll have to order the black plastic rod online as I cannot seem to find it locally. I've decided against any sort of fretboard inlay. I like the look of a clean fretboard, and side dots are sufficient place markers.

Once that is finished, I'll probably radius the fretboard.

Does anyone know where I can get the black plastic rod for the side dots (either locally or online)?

CMA

Looks very nice Andy. The difference in fretboard behind the nut doesn't even look that noticeable, I think if your board was rosewood it might have been worse. Although I actually like that steep looking lip on it, I'm curious to see how it looks once your closer to being finished. Keep those pics coming. J