New Projects - - Wood Dilema!

WezV

Ok, i know i have a few to finish off but they should be done soon and i am just at the wood sourcing and glue-up section for my next two paying customers and tearing my house aprt so they may have to wait.

The first one is going to be an sg, here is the spec list:

* Through neck- 35mm mahogany/6mm wenge/35mm mahogany

* (white limba) Korina body wings

* Ziracote fretbaord and heaplate

* Body thickness 1.5"

* Scale length 25.5” with 24 frets

* Fretwire 1-11=6100. 12-24 =6105

* Binding. Fretboard only, acrylised b/e maple

* Inlays - no fretboard, black side dots. WV headstock inlay

* Neck carve - wide flat, not too thin - 60's LP special

* Headstock - To be decided. Smaller than Gibson, more symmetrical than mine

* Nut - unbleached bone

* Strap buttons - Dunlop strap locks, normal on base, recessed on upper horn

* Pickups - BKP - 90’s, nickel dog ear covers

* Bridge - Schaller wraparound - tonepros studs

* Tuners - Nickel Sperzels

* 3-way switch

* Controls, 2x vol + 2x tone + master volume

* Finish - Trans Black nitro lacquer

No photos on that one yet!

The other one is going to be another of my Vendetta models:

full4.jpg

specs:

*Black limba body

*acrylised spalted maple top.

*3-piece flamed maple neck with CF reinforcement, similar size shape as Ibanez S2170FW

*Bolt-on neck join, black screws and ferrules

*unbleached bone nut

*Ziracote fretboard

*Spalted wood on top of headplate if possible, if not Ziracote

*Scale length 25.5” 22 frets.

* Black Hipshot hardtail bridge strung through the body

*Sperzel locking tuners - black

* 2x BKP Mule humbuckers –camo finish

* 3-way switch + master volume and tone

*all black hardware

*Jumbo frets

*Large lizard inlay at end of fretboard closest to body in recon malachite, ending at 12th fret

*clear lacquer finish,

I have the wood for this now and it presents a dilema!!

Here is the picture Larry sent me:

th_wezlimba.jpg

Absolutely stunning and he says he has never seen this kind of colour variation in black limba before!!

It would be easy if it wasnt for the other side.

Here are my pictures

th_w3.jpg

th_w2.jpg

th_w1.jpg

Really not sure what side to use now

Here is the top:

th_6-4.jpg

th_5-5.jpg

th_3-8.jpg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the bright ornage worm hole streaks dont usually fade but i havnt seen this gingery banding ot this much darkness before so dont know what to expect.

the obvious answer would be to go without any top wood and show of all the limba - just not sure i want to do that!!

Wow, excellent wood with an excellent question!! I was just wondering something yesterday when talking about purpleheart where I mentioned in a thread about using UV type protection on other woods that have a tendancy to fade. I am curious if it would help at all, I believe that unlike purpleheart most woods lose their color mainly because of O2, but I am still very curious if at least some loss of color is due to UV. For instance did that orange discolor because of UV or O2? Or was it just some naptha on freshly planed wood that showed off the orange that much. You can see the edge and that there has been some liquid applied for the photo and even see it starting to dry in spots. Have you tried anything yet like sanding, scraping or planing to see if it just oxidized or something? If not I would try that and then apply some naptha as it looks like he did and retake the photo flash and all from the same angle as he did. Either way, this will make a truly amazing instrument. Best of luck and definitely keep us posted on what you figure out about the wood, very interesting stuff!!! J

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i think i am just going to try it in normal flamed maple first, but not going to inlay it till i am happy - getting some acrylised flamed maple would be a good solution

this is the clients lizard thats the inspiration for the inlay

smaug4.jpg

i think i am just going to try it in normal flamed maple first, but not going to inlay it till i am happy - getting some acrylised flamed maple would be a good solution

this is the clients lizard thats the inspiration for the inlay

smaug4.jpg

Wez, why don't you try lacewood for the lizard inlay? Lacewood has that grain that's like that lizard skin.

mainly because i dont have any here at the moment but i dont think the colour of lacewood would look good on a ziracote board.

the other issue is how real do i really want to make it. i dont think i can pull of a life like inlay so i might as well do it as a stylized sillohette

That is going to be spectacular, Wez!

I love the lizard design, and the silhouette idea is spot on, but I would think it ought to be a tad smaller in scale, to include more of the legs.

Snakewood would be a nice choice. Lizards tend to like being camoflaged, so something close in color to the ziricote would be cool. Just a thought. :D

Lizards tend to like being camoflaged, so something close in color to the ziricote would be cool. Just a thought. :D

Ibanez has an RG that has a brown mirror inlay. That deppends on the angle that you look it, it's brown or whiteish.

That guitar's the Ibanez RG2570 IIRC.