Lacquer Sanding Sealer

I can't find something again! First I couldn't find titebond and now I can't find sanding sealer!!! :D

Anyway I was wondering where I could get some. All the stores I call either don't know what I'm talking about or do but don't have it. I've tried Home Depot, Piercey's and Canadian Tire. Kent were the only people who knew what i was talking about, but they didn't have it. So for those Canadians and especially Nova Scotians out there, I was wondering where you got your sanding sealer. I know Deft and Minwax are good brands. And I think Zinnser makes a "universal sanding sealer". Do I have to order it specially?

Thanks

:D

Well thinned lacquer seems to work OK for sanding sealer. On my last lacquer job I used sanding sealer but didn't think it was much better than plain thinned lacquer that Ive used on all previous finishes. No problem with incompatibility as well.

Thanks! I might try that. But it would be easier for me if I could just buy some Deft or something. Just because of the time I have.

So I guess if anybody has any ideas of where I could pick some up, post em' here.

Thanks

You could also just use some shellac, same difference essentially. I bought of the zinnser sanding sealer and it is just a 2lb cut of shellac. The special thing about that stuff is that it is a 2lb cut of shellac that has a shelf life of close to 3 years, which is what separates it from regular shellac, I don't know how they do it, but I've heard rumors they are working with the keebler elves on that. One caution, don't buy any cans or premade shellac aside from that "sanding sealer" by zinnser. I've been told by a few people that canned shellac is miserable stuff, even zinnsers stuff. The sanding sealer seems fine though, I've tried it on a few things and have had no issues as of yet and should work just fine as a sealer. So, try and get that or just find someplace where you can buy some shellac flakes and make your own shellac, which is recommended over even the zinnser sanding sealer. Best of luck, hope you can find something. J

Edited by jmrentis

DEFT have sanding sealer, I used it before and by experince it is not worth it. Just use straight lacquer. It will eventually build up good enough. If you need a lot of sanding sealer then you should grain fill first and then use lacquer

I agree. Sanding sealer is bad news. I used some once and after a few weeks the lacquer started pealing and chipping.

Sanding sealer is soft by nature, and it has stearate soaps in it to make it easy to sand. Putting a hard finish over a soft finish is a recipe for disaster!

Just use the lacquer as a sealer, and use pore filler if you need it.

Edited by David Schwab

benjamin moore makes a sanding sealer compatable with lacquer it works pretty good its clear and very easy to sand .benjamin moore is very common brand of paint up here

REALLY?!?! That would be really convenient because theres a Benjamin Moore store just up my street! I checked there about a month ago but I couldn't find anything. I better check again then!

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the bump. I thought I'd recycle this thread to ask another question. I ended up getting grain filler. Anyway it says on the bucket to thin it with mineral spirits. Would I be able to use turpentine in its place? I know that turpentine is stronger than mineral spirits (from Google-ing). I have a feeling I won't be able to use it, I just thought I'd ask you guys because I do have some in my basement and rather than adding another bottle of toxic liquid to the basement, it would be nice to use what I got.

I can't find something again! First I couldn't find titebond and now I can't find sanding sealer!!! :D

Anyway I was wondering where I could get some. All the stores I call either don't know what I'm talking about or do but don't have it. I've tried Home Depot, Piercey's and Canadian Tire. Kent were the only people who knew what i was talking about, but they didn't have it. So for those Canadians and especially Nova Scotians out there, I was wondering where you got your sanding sealer. I know Deft and Minwax are good brands. And I think Zinnser makes a "universal sanding sealer". Do I have to order it specially?

Thanks

I used the Zinnser sealer and it worked great under Behlen's lacquer. The stuff could even be used as a gloss finish if you ask me.

Sorry for the bump. I thought I'd recycle this thread to ask another question. I ended up getting grain filler. Anyway it says on the bucket to thin it with mineral spirits. Would I be able to use turpentine in its place? I know that turpentine is stronger than mineral spirits (from Google-ing). I have a feeling I won't be able to use it, I just thought I'd ask you guys because I do have some in my basement and rather than adding another bottle of toxic liquid to the basement, it would be nice to use what I got.

Turpentine and mineral spirits are NOT the same thing. Use what they tell you to use.

Sanding sealer is meant to go under the finish. It helps seal the wood, so the finish does not penetrate into the wood. Each type of finish will have a specific compatible sealer. This will have essentially the same basic component, except it will have a higher solids content. You can use the finish itself instead of the sealer, but you'll have to use much more of it and you still risk having the finish penetrate too deeply into the wood, either right away or over time.

If you experience flaking and peeling, then you used incompatible products, or allowed some kind of oil (fingertips, whatever) to get on there before you sprayed. Simple as that.

So I suggest sticking with the same brand family as much as possible.

Oh yeah, Wak: all this stuff is highly toxic. Wear a respirator with the appropriate filters.

+ 1

Here's some quick rule of thumbs:

Sealer in general should be applied sparingly.

Never use a softer sealer under a harder top coat.

Never use too much sealer. (most manufacturers recommend 1 or two coats)

Use the proper sealer. It's best to use the same brand as the finish. Most companies make both. (already mentioned)

Lacquer based sealers WILL soften with a lacquer top coat. The solvents burn in. The only way around that (used by major manufacturers) is to seal with polyester or other catalyzed product. These are unaffected by lacquer or solvents truly "sealing" the guitar body.

Guitar finishes are engineered for guitar bodies and the unique stresses they encounter, which might otherwise cause cracks "furniture" lacquers. (this is a potential, and the reason finish companies make both types)

A proven easier to get sealer is System3 clear coat, mixed with the silica thickener. You will get and impervious sealer coat, and subsequent applications of nitro can not soften or penetrate it.

System 3 is available pretty much everywhere so you should be able to get it in your locality or at least on line.

-Doug

Thanks you guys. Yeah I was just asking in the off chance that I could substitute it. I won't though.

A proven easier to get sealer is System3 clear coat, mixed with the silica thickener. You will get and impervious sealer coat, and subsequent applications of nitro can not soften or penetrate it.

System 3 is available pretty much everywhere so you should be able to get it in your locality or at least on line.

-Doug

Thanks I might look into that. It sounds like its even more helpful when your on a tight schedule.