A Few Specific Questions...

I have an RG120 that I want to play around with as a project but there are a few questions that I have before I proceed.

1) The RG120 body itself (after some investigation) seems to be covered in some type of translucent coat (reminds me of fine fiberglass) and then painted over top of that... am I wrong?

2) How do I remove this ridiculous coat and get to the wood? I tried stripping it, but nothing happened...

3) Is it possible to put a Floyd Rose in place of the extremely cheap Tremolo that came with the RG120?

Thanks for your input in advance!

uhh...

are you repainting it? the clear part you are speaking of is sanding sealer. why is it redicuous? you will make it much harder on yourlsef if you take off the sealer. there is no point in doing that. what kind of a trem did it have? a fender style one? if so you cant put in without modification.

1) The RG120 body itself (after some investigation) seems to be covered in some type of translucent coat (reminds me of fine fiberglass) and then painted over top of that... am I wrong?

Sanding Sealer

2) How do I remove this ridiculous coat and get to the wood? I tried stripping it, but nothing happened...

You don't.

3) Is it possible to put a Floyd Rose in place of the extremely cheap Tremolo that came with the RG120?

Yes.

RG, that is not sanding sealer. It is used as such, but most cheap guitars get coated with a catalized finish, close to fiberglass resin. Like an easy fix to any knots or imperfections...

That's what I thought it was... I may be new to this whole process, but it's too thick to be plain sanding sealer. So is it worth turning this into a project or do you think that the wood is so crappy that it should just be forgotten about. It had a maple neck with a nice ebony fretboard, so I'll at least keep the neck.

Anymore suggestions?

That's what I thought it was... I may be new to this whole process, but it's too thick to be plain sanding sealer. So is it worth turning this into a project or do you think that the wood is so crappy that it should just be forgotten about.

Depends on what you want to do. You couldn't ask for a better base than what's on the guitar if you're after a solid color. Just sand it flat to 220 grit and you're good to go. If you're looking to do a natural finish, it might not be worth it. Chances are the wood is not much to look at.

I'll probably go with a solid color then. The one thing about the tremolo that came with it is that it NEVER stayed in tune. The neck didn't come with a Lock Nut (which seems ridiculous if you're going to have a tremolo like this one). With that in mind, is there a way to convert the head/neck into a Locking nut? Or should I just get a new neck?

I'll probably go with a solid color then. The one thing about the tremolo that came with it is that it NEVER stayed in tune. The neck didn't come with a Lock Nut (which seems ridiculous if you're going to have a tremolo like this one). With that in mind, is there a way to convert the head/neck into a Locking nut? Or should I just get a new neck?

yes you can add a locking nut. but you will probably have to use a string retainer bar.