Amplifier

sb guitars

yeah, i know that wasnt funny, especially since your post says 'guild' and not 'gild' but whatever :D

I presume you mean build - but the problem is that you have been a bit unspecific. What sort of amplifier do you want to build?

I have built one from a kit before. It was a fender champ clone - about 5w.

some gesso and gold leaf

Nice shot Wez.

:D :D B)

Can someone list the parts that are necessary to guild an amp?

Please bear with me-I don't know what I want so.....If you want to list parts for a complicated build goahead, if all you know is basic psrts then don't hesitate.

There are many sites dedicated to DIY amp building that could help you, they already contain parts lists for many different kinds of amps, HERE is probably the best place to start.

Along with parts lists, they also have all the important warnings about building amps and the inherant dangers.

That was funny-wes takes a shot and drak was the only one that actually gave me info. Wasn't there a thread about someting like this...... :D

Remember how I said I don't know what I want?...I wrote the post while I was really tired, so I'm sorry that I misspelled build with a different letter-that by the way, another letter that is right above B----G. I was hoping that I would get a better understanding of the way an amp works-not a grammar lesson.

But, that doesn't matter-Drak gave me some info. :D

Drak, I wouldn't mind building a large amp-maybe around 100w-----or even a head, and later on a cabinet. Maybe something with tubes. thank you for link.....

I know my joke wasnt funny - thats why i posted again straight away with a proper response - or at least a request for more information. I was not really criticizing spelling or grammer - i am not the person to do that :D Sometimes i just cant resist a good pun even if it needed saying out loud to make sense :D

i was really just wondering if you wanted tube or solid state, and what kind of size you want - when you ask more specific questions you get a better quality of answer. a bit of info about whats completely out of the question would help. I know you say you dont know what you do want but i bet you have a good idea what you dont want

you ask for a list of parts but that cant really be given till we have more idea about what you want to build.

also there are two ways to approach a project like this. Do you just want a parts list and some instructions or do you need an indepth analysis on how amps work so you can create your own or at least understand what you have created

the ax84 website is a good one for learning how amps work and they have some good kits that can be modded. There are lots of other kits available but most wont give you as much knowledge about the workings.

the kit i built was from STF-electronics, nice amp but it taught me nothing about how amps actually work!!

Sometimes i ask more questions so i can give better answers. Anyway, you had a good answer from Drak and from your response to that i can tell you are probably after building a valve amp, with a view to doing something quite large and you want to know whats going on inside.

My advice would be to start with a smaller amp project first. This will have less parts, be easier and cheaper to construct, and you will be better able to trace the circuit to learn whats going on and find any problems.

also worth looking at this recent in progress thread for a bigger project:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=0&start=0

My advice would be to start with a smaller amp project first. This will have less parts, be easier and cheaper to construct, and you will be better able to trace the circuit to learn whats going on and find any problems.

also worth looking at this recent in progress thread for a bigger project:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...t=0&start=0

Thank you for your reply: I want to do a complicated amp-not a small amp. i don't have the time or money to build a small amp then build what i wanted to build in the first place. I know this way of thinking is a bit ignorant.

what i so far: 100w tube amp-with tape echo, reverb, and chorus flange-with 3 customizable presets similiar to this http://line6.com/spideriii/hd150.html.-the speaker is going to be celestion...any thoughts-----master volume, drive, bass, mid, treble, and channel volume. It's stupid, but, I want them all to go to ereven (11). I want it to be complicated-furthermore, I want an amp that is so good that I never need another one.

it sounds like you are after something that would scare off a lot of amp builders.

With guitars most people would say not to try and build your dream guitar first because it wont work out the way you want and you are better to start with something simple. The truth is that some people manage it on there first attempt, they are the ones that take a hell of a lot of time and patience to get it just as they want it.

the same applies here. If you think you can do it then go for it

Anyway, i really dont know much about amps so i cant say anymore than that

what i so far: 100w tube amp-with tape echo, reverb, and chorus flange-with 3 customizable presets similiar to this http://line6.com/spideriii/hd150.html.-the speaker is going to be celestion...any thoughts-----master volume, drive, bass, mid, treble, and channel volume. It's stupid, but, I want them all to go to ereven (11). I want it to be complicated-furthermore, I want an amp that is so good that I never need another one.

Something like you described is way beyond anything a DIY-er could manage, especially a first-timer. For what you described, the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade would fit the bill.

If you really want to build a "big" classic tube amp, check out Metroamp. But built-in echo/reverb/chorus are not something you'll find in a DIY tube amp kit, anywhere.

Something like you described is way beyond anything a DIY-er could manage, especially a first-timer. For what you described, the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade would fit the bill.

If you really want to build a "big" classic tube amp, check out Metroamp. But built-in echo/reverb/chorus are not something you'll find in a DIY tube amp kit, anywhere.

I never said that i wanted a kit, this post is to help me understand what I will need. Just because someone is new to something doesn't mean that he doesn't have the potential of making exactly what he wants. Like wes said, it takes patience-and thats what I have.

I'm up to the challenge.

Based on your questions, I am assuming you don't have any experience with electronics. Building an amp, even from a kit with instructions, requires some basic electronics and soldering skills at a bare minimum. And you're dealing with lethal voltages that can easily take you out permanently if you aren't extremely careful.

You need more than patience - you need knowledge... if you're willing to spend a lot of time to learn it, ok. But amp design/building is not something you can just jump into without a clue.

Well, I hope everyone has now regained their sense of humour (everybody has one you know :D ) and I was just poking a little fun at Wez.

You can approach this from several different directions:

If you want to get loooooow down and completely nasty stinkin' dirty with theory and mechanics, then I would recommend THIS site by Kevin O' Connor / London Power.

Excellent set of books if you want to take that direction.

However, if you want to just slap a kit together and theory be damned, then TED WEBER might be your man. He sells amp kits and hosts a forum stockpiled with DIY amp junkies, besides making some most excellent speakers as well.

Or choose a combination of both...

Good luck! :D

dont discount what is being said here, mikhailgtrski is giving very good and sound advice.

If you do attempt this it will take a hell of a lot of research, a hell of a lot of time, a hell of a lot of money and there are still no garantees it will work out as you want.

I still think the best route is to start small with something more attainable - in the long run it will give you more satisfaction and i reckon will end up cheaper to boot

but hey, you are human and can make your own decisions and your own mistakes

I'm up to the challenge.

Based on your questions, I am assuming you don't have any experience with electronics. Building an amp, even from a kit with instructions, requires some basic electronics and soldering skills at a bare minimum. And you're dealing with lethal voltages that can easily take you out permanently if you aren't extremely careful.

You need more than patience - you need knowledge... if you're willing to spend a lot of time to learn it, ok. But amp design/building is not something you can just jump into without a clue.

I do have electronics experience-why would i even be interested in making an amp if i didn't even know what a soldering iron was.

Most likely I'm wrong, but it seems that you are getting not only fustrated, but as well as, insulted by my wanting to make an amplifier that is higher than other peoples capabilities.

Furthermore, if you aren't aswering the question/ posting usefull information; then please don't post at all. No offence is meant, but i don't have time to read a post of someone being so negative to my wants----yayayaya i know that I must sound really selfish by continously writing WANT :D

I'm up to the challenge.

That's the spirit.

Having said that it might be that you could build a less ambitious amp and find the tone you want there... then work out how to record it and patch it through a great big slave....

What music has impressed you with sounds you like?

S.

I really like the gilmour sound. My insperation comes from the amp that page rewired and doubled its wattage. But i don't really like the page sound.

If you do attempt this it will take a hell of a lot of research, a hell of a lot of time, a hell of a lot of money and there are still no garantees it will work out as you want.

I still think the best route is to start small with something more attainable - in the long run it will give you more satisfaction and i reckon will end up cheaper to boot

but hey, you are human and can make your own decisions and your own mistakes

+1 (and thanks Wes :D )

I built one from scratch:

iwatt1.jpg

...without killing myself (450vdc on those plates, boys)... but it took some serious time reading up on tube amp theory and staring at schematics for a good while. It can be done... but the built-in effects thing (like the Line6 and H&K) is seriously beyond the DIY scope... we're talking IC chips and all that junk... unless you want to try to integrate some stomp boxes into the thing... then I would ask why bother? Just build a good tube amp and use outboard gear if you want f/x.

Not trying to discourage you - just telling it like it is. Really, check out the metroamp forum - lots of guys have built nice amps with limited experience. Just not with fancy built-in effects. Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

Mike

PS - if you like Gilmour, you'll like the HIWATT. Check this out: mhuss.com (site is down at the moment) - it's where I got the schematics and a bill of material to start with.

Ok, I'm done with this thread-all I was looking for was information on parts-thank you everyone that post specific information that was relevent to exactly what I asked, especially you DRAK

Anyone that isn't afraid of making mistakes can pm me if this project intrigues you.

you may not feel the advice given in this thread benefits you or answers what you asked but be aware that many other people of all experience levels will read this. The warnings need to be here because this is a very dangerous project and anyone who reads this thread and wants to build an amp needs to know that

id also reccomend starting small (or just less complicated, the effects are going to be hard), there is alot that can go wrong, be overlooked or become unfeasable for a diy build. effecte will most likely be needed to be transistors, which will need a much lower voltage source than tubes, which means either a second transformer or a hard to find transformer with 25v taps (or somehting around that) as well as 350v taps, and the heater taps. you could do a solidstate amp, but theyre complicated and you would deffinately want to do a printed circuit board for it. not many people do solidstate amps as their complicated and there is nothing you can really improve over the current designs without fully understanding it all, which will take a while.

has anyone told you that half the percieved volume of a 100w amp is 10w. essentially to get half the percieved volume of an amp you divide it by 10 (or to double the percieved volume, you multiply by 10). the percieved volume also has to do with the speakers, which is why cheap combos dont sound too loud.

if you want all the effects id say just get pedals and build a simple tube amp. maybe with a simple cascading gain stage so you can get some dirt from it at any volumes.

no offence, but i dont see this project amounting to anything atm. you seem to think that making an amp is just soldering connections from parts. it seems simple, but theres alot more to it. id suggest learning a bit about preamps, and then getting a weber kits (or any other one) and tweaking/change the preamp on one of their kits to get what you want. when do you need a 100w amp by the way? whens the last time youve played a stadium gig without a powerful PA. (has anyone in the last 20 years?). all you need from an amp to play a gig is for it to be able to play with the drummer reasonably, which can be achieved with a 15 watt amp easily, and it will usually sound better than a 100w amp playing at that volume.

i must say that bass amps will benefit from the high wattage, but not guitar amps.