Can This Even Be Called A Tele Anymore?

Well, I posted a little about this in the solid body chat but I thought I’s start a progress thread about it so elicit some feedback.

Here are the specs so far

Lumber:

Padauk Top

White Limba back

Bocote fretboard

Padauk Neck

Bolivian Rosewood stringers

Kahler hybrid tremolo

3 ZDG humbuckers

3 stacked Vol/tone pots

Jumbo frets

Black hardware

100_3432.jpg

Don’t make fun of the Cheesy Poofs, I Like Cheesy Poofs! LOL

cheesypoof.jpg

Gluing up the blank

The neck1

The neck2

Glamour shots1

Glamour shots2

The back1

The back2

Thanks for the feedback.

I have struggled with this build because Bocote and Padauk can both be visually overwhelming if used incorrectly. As I said in the other thread, my goal was to accentuate the board and make the rest of the guitar sort of blend into the background. I guess it’s a study in natural colors and esthetics more than guitar building. So far I think I’ve pulled it off.

I’m using open coil black bobbin pickups with a black Kahler so I’m nervous that going with three humbuckers might make the face too dark and pull away from the board but it’s too late now!

You know I was really wondering how you did such a wonderful job staining that maple top that nice orange color. My answers were all solved when I saw the half empty jar of cheesy poofs, they have that wonderful absolutely permanent orange stain. The best thing about using cheesy poofs as a stain is they oil the wood at the same time, so its a one step finish plus you get lunch, win, win, win situation. I truly am now holding some resentment towards you zyon because now I'll end spending the rest of this day searching for a place that sells cheesy poofs. Some carry the puffy noodle type puffs, but not the actual cheesy poofs, sooo thank you zyon for making me go shopping when I have better things to do.

As for the build, I love it. Honestly, the padauk and limba alone just wouldn't do it for me, but throw in a couple rosewood stringers and that bocote fretboard and wow, turned out amazing really! Excellent work and very well executed. Have you thought about trying some rosewood pup rings to really accentuate those stringers, I think that might look really cool. May even be able to use walnut, if you couldn't find any or didn't have enough wood for them. Anyhow, once again excellent build and wood combination, its so hard to combine such vibrant woods. L

You know I was really wondering how you did such a wonderful job staining that maple top that nice orange color. My answers were all solved when I saw the half empty jar of cheesy poofs, they have that wonderful absolutely permanent orange stain. The best thing about using cheesy poofs as a stain is they oil the wood at the same time, so its a one step finish plus you get lunch, win, win, win situation. I truly am now holding some resentment towards you zyon because now I'll end spending the rest of this day searching for a place that sells cheesy poofs. Some carry the puffy noodle type puffs, but not the actual cheesy poofs, sooo thank you zyon for making me go shopping when I have better things to do.

As for the build, I love it. Honestly, the padauk and limba alone just wouldn't do it for me, but throw in a couple rosewood stringers and that bocote fretboard and wow, turned out amazing really! Excellent work and very well executed. Have you thought about trying some rosewood pup rings to really accentuate those stringers, I think that might look really cool. May even be able to use walnut, if you couldn't find any or didn't have enough wood for them. Anyhow, once again excellent build and wood combination, its so hard to combine such vibrant woods. L

Still laughing about the poofs! My kitchen has the best lighting for pictures. I think I need to find a new place to take them though before everyone knows all my bad dietary habits.

I’ve thought about using rose wood for making pickup rings but I’ve never made a set before. I’m sure it’s not too hard but I’ve just never had the need. I might make a set just to see how they look. Good idea though!

Might even go with rosewood cover plates for the back control cavities.

I still have some shaping and I have to channel for all of my wires and then it goes out to paint. I don’t have the ability to do poly hard coating so I’m going to send it to a friend that can coat it for me. Once it gets back I’ll have everything ready to put it together.

Some day I hope to have a place where I can do a bit more than nitro but right now I have to work with the space I’m given. A lot of Luthiers farm out their hard coating though so I don’t feel too bad about it.

I make my own pickups so they will be loaded with ZDG pups which are basically off set scatter wound 5000 on the north. 5500 on the south with AlNICO magnets. Gives an overdriven PAF sound.

Check out a sound sample

Going with a hybrid Kahler which is pretty standard for me since I’m a big Kahler fan.

I used an Alnico 5 for the pickup used in the sound sample.

I also make a super distortion style with a smaller wire 5500 on north, 6000 on the south with a ceramic magnet. Scatter wound and wax potted. Puts out a screaming sound too. I don’t have any good sound samples of that one yet.

I might fit one of those into the bridge and then put my PAF copies into the middle and neck.

Midas well give it balls to the wall power to go with the steroid look.

I make my own pickups so they will be loaded with ZDG pups which are basically off set scatter wound 5000 on the north. 5500 on the south with AlNICO magnets. Gives an overdriven PAF sound.

Check out a sound sample

Going with a hybrid Kahler which is pretty standard for me since I’m a big Kahler fan.

Great sound from that pick up, just the right amount of squawk, what sort of guitar was that in to make the sound sample?

I used a BC. Rich platinum warlock which is not the best guitar to use to say the least. However, it seems to work for testing pickups. I've put many different ones in it and it's been a good calibration tool.

Thanks for thinking they sound cool. Mike from a band called Dragonlips did the recording for me. He's been one of my long time customers. www.soundclick.com/dragonlips

Edited by zyonsdream

I'll be the odd man out and say that it's not a tele. Without the metal bridge plate, without a 6-in-line headstock and string trees, and being loaded with 3 humbuckers and a Khaler, it's a tele in body style only.

But it sure kicks @$$. :D

Sorry it took so long to reply. I was away for the holiday in a land of no internet!

I really appreciate all of the support! I think we’ll just consider it a tele mutation and call it a day. I should have it ready for paint in the next few days. When it gets back I’ll post some finished pictures for everyone to see.

Sorry it took so long to reply. I was away for the holiday in a land of no internet!

I really appreciate all of the support! I think we’ll just consider it a tele mutation and call it a day. I should have it ready for paint in the next few days. When it gets back I’ll post some finished pictures for everyone to see.

That's exactly what I was going to say! A Mutated Tele! Pretty darn sweet guitar you got there if I can say so myself.

• 6 months later...

well after looking at this one sitting on the shelf for quite some time I decided it was time to finish it up. I still have to wire it, make the nut and set it up but basically it's ready to rock and roll. I applied an oil finish, let it dry for a week and then rubbed on two coats of rub on poly. I then sanded it flat and buffed it with 0000 steel wool and wax. It has a great shine and the poly adds extra protection to the body.

100_4433.jpg

100_4441.jpg