Mahogany Tele

Hector

That's an awesome looking piece of mahog! What kind of wood did you use for the neck? It's not maple, unless you just put a veneer on the headstock. Looks really good!

hey xanthus, the neck is imbuia, the fretboard is ipe and the body is a 2 piece quartersawn mahogany. it is indeed nice looking but is very thin (36mm) but hey, it's gonna be one light guitar. lol.

my only concern is that the neck pocket could be weak (18mm thick). Do you think 18mm is okay for a bolt on design?

just finished shaping the neck, i'll post some photos tomorrow.

So long as the screws don't come through the fretboard, I think you're fine :D If you want extra security, you can always look into getting threaded bushings or something. Or glue the neck on? I'm not so sure if that's feasible to do, I don't do much bolt-on reading. I stick with the neck throughs.

Great looking guitar....as for the thickness...the very first Tele prototypes from 1950 (back then it was called "Esquire" before they changed it to "Broadcaster" before they had to change the name into "Telecaster") were made out of Pine and were only 1.5'' thick compare to the 1.75'' we all know and love. So you should be perfectly fine. The only problem I see is the depth of the control plate...

thanks for all this info guys.

today I test fitted the bridge and the tuners, I also put some strings on to see if I need to shim the neck.

everything is fine. now I need to shape the body, cut all the excess wood, and remove more wood from the neck, it's like a baseball bat! lol.

here's how she looks now.

DSCN2809.jpg

Telecasters are really SUPPOSED to be about simplicity in the first place anyway.

Killer guitar, looks really BEAUTIFUL. :D :D

I'd really have to opt for a Mini-Hum in the neck tho, the tone of a nice (Lollar) Mini-Hum would suit that Mahogony much mo' bettuh' than a SC up there, but that's just me.

Excellent build so far, cannot wait to see it finished. B):D

+1 . . . all telecasters should have them!!

I won't argue about the pup/wood combo, but I will argue the pup/body combo. It doean't seem right to me to make a tele and them put HBs in it. There's just something wrong with the whole concept... guitar blasphemy. Teles are about the twang, not the punch.

But on the other hand, that's what's so great about guitars. What seems like a complete waste of effort to one player is the best thing since sliced bread to another. :D

It doean't seem right to me to make a tele and them put HBs in it. There's just something wrong with the whole concept... guitar blasphemy. Teles are about the twang, not the punch.

I COMPLETELY agree with that.

Having said that, if you've never heard a Tele with a MINI-Hum in it, don't go knockin' it.

Mini-Hums sound more like a SC than a P-90 by a long shot. A Mini-Hum sounds like a big fat juicy SC ANYWAY.

Sonically, it fits perfect with the rest of the layout...Mahogony body, classic Tele bridge and SC pkp, Mini-Hum in the neck, it's a beautiful recipe. You can argue it all day and at the end of the day, you'd still be wrong, it's a very solid winning recipe.

You can still use a vintage bridge pkp and it works perfect, in harmony. A real HB or even a P-90 can -way- overpower a Tele vintage bridge pkp.

This fella seems to have made it work ok ...

th_bsm-1105c.jpg

www.brentmason.com

Looking at his setup, the only thing tele about his axe is the shape. It more closely resembles a strat with a fatter neck pup than a tele.

Now, don't get me wrong. We can do whatever we want with our guitars. It's all a matter of personal taste. I'm not hating on anything other than abandoning the historic representation of the instrument's various body styles. To me, a strat gets 3 singles or an h/s/s, a tele gets 2 singles, and twin HBs go in a Gibson style or "metal" body.

Seeing a tele with 2 HBs just bugs me. If you wanted 2 HBs, why'd you get a tele? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

But that's just me, and I'm kinda **** about stuff. Y'all can do whatever you want. :D

hey guys, my friend was planning on sticking with the single coil pickup, but after all these comments on how good a mini humbucker is, we have to ask:

what brands and models of mini humbuckers are out there? my guess is that you`re not talking about the hot rails kind of humbucker in a single coil size, but an actual mini humbucker. am I right?

what do you guys reccommend??

one last thing, we need something that`s not gonna break the bank. are there any good options?

thanks a lot.

Edited by Hector

Seymour Duncan, gibson, or Kent armstrong all spring to mind but there are cheaper versions available.

two type are available. Gibson deluxe with a row of polepieces and firbeird style which have no polepieces. there is more difference than just the appearance of the poles and they do sound different. Its to do with the magnet layout, IIRC corrently the firebird ones have magnetic blade polepieces the deluxes have a bar magnet underneath like a normal humbucker but i would need to confirm that. I would go for the firebird style - its just a bit more fendery because of the magnet being inside the coil rather than under it.

I believe there was also a type made by gibson that had a magnetic blade in one coil and non magnetic screws in the other coil

the wide range HB's are nice and all - but pretty much an aquired taste. They dont really sound as humbuckerish as people seem to expect. Nice p-ups though and definately worth considering.

Again the magnet layout is different. They use threaded magnets for the polepieces. cant remember the name of the material they use for that but i know its not alnico because you cant thread alnico. They do have 12 polepieces even though only 6 are visable, 6 go from the top of the coils and 6 go in from underneath. Again, its the fact the magnets ae inside the coils that makes them sound differnt to a traditional humbucker, well there are obviously other factors like shape of coil, magnet type and wire type but there are always other factors :D

Looking at his setup, the only thing tele about his axe is the shape. It more closely resembles a strat with a fatter neck pup than a tele.

That guitar has NOTHING to do with a strat. Check the neck width, the bridge, controls... and I haven't seen many strats with a mini-hum in the neck position.

Check this out http://www.johnpageguitars.com/ ... and have a look at the Gallery tab.

John builds these Tele style guitars with a full humbucker in the neck. Real nice if you ask me and I'm sure it sounds awesome. I'd love to have the opportunity to hear the difference between a mini-hum and full size hum in a tele.