Saga Kits

In all honesty if you want to learn how to build a guitar start with building one. You won't learn how to design a guitars, make a neck, etc if you get a kit where all of this is already done. Start from scratch and design it from the ground up and you will learn much more about actually building a guitar that way.

~David

If you are determined to buy a saga, then choose whichever you like best since the quality will be about the same on all the models. When I first got interested in building guitars I also thought that putting together a kit would be a good way to start. I bought one of the Saga LP kits and used that. The quality wasn't that great....and although it was fun painting it, I didn't really learn anything. I hardly ever play that guitar anymore and now wish I had spent that money on wood instead. If I were you, I would listen to Myka's advice and start by actually building you own guitar. If you are worried about messing up then you can start with a simple design and cheap wood.

In all honesty if you want to learn how to build a guitar start with building one. You won't learn how to design a guitars, make a neck, etc if you get a kit where all of this is already done. Start from scratch and design it from the ground up and you will learn much more about actually building a guitar that way.

~David

Or split the difference. Build the body and buy the neck or vice versa. Its a good way to not bite off more than you can chew the first time around.

Or split the difference. Build the body and buy the neck or vice versa. Its a good way to not bite off more than you can chew the first time around.

This is a good idea too! After doing that saga kit I decided to do my first build, but I used a pre-made neck and built only the body. After doing that I am now working on my first full project, including building the neck. It is an effective way to slowly lead up to the whole process. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :D

After just building my first neck, I must say it is a lot easier than you would think. But until you get into all of the tools for fretting, you may be better buying a neck. But definitely just buy the wood and build from scratch. Building the body is probably the easiest part of the job. Alder, Ash, Poplar, and Basswood are all cheap woods if you want to buy a preglued blank, and they are even cheaper to glue your own up. Buy a few templates, design the body shape you want, build a template and start the guitar. The Saga kits really are not good quality, and other than the neck, are not that much easier than just building a guitar. The key to building is patience and attention to detail and tolerances.

My original plan was to build a body and buy a neck to go with it. Everybody on here encouraged me to build my own neck, and I'm very glad that I did! It has been the most rewarding part of the build, and not nearly as difficult as I expected. I say build the whole thing yourself!

+1

Also very happy I went ahead and built a neck on the first build. I actually bougth one of the saga kits first because I thought It'd be a great start. Turned out to not be very pleasing at all, you don't really do anything. I you want to learn how to assemble a guitar, just unscrew every screw on one you already own and put it back together again, much cheaper.

I was only gonna build a body for my first guitar, but then I didn't plan very well when cutting the body and realised I had to make a set neck as well. Turned out to be so much easier than I originally thought, and 10x as rewarding.