Land Of Confusion!

ByronBlack

Hi fella's,

I'm hoping some of you guys can help, I'm nearing the end of my explorer build and have to decide on pickups and which amp I'm going to use. I've narrowed the pickup choices down to:

A Seymour Duncan matched set of JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck

OR

A set of EMG 81/85

I mostly play metal/rock, so the EMG's are the obvious choice there, however, as I get older I'm finding I like to play a little cleaner now and then, and like to jam along with some blues, and some clean strumming - are the EMG's upto that? I keep reading that they can be cold and sterile - is this a myth, or will the SD's be more suitable?

WezV - I did consider some BKP's (I think you contributed to a thread of mine) and had decided on a Miracle Man and Cold Sweat combo, but I just can't afford to go for BKP's on this build.

Secondly, I want to gather your opinions on an amp choice. I'm mostly a home-based player and only need something relatively small. I've narrowed my chocie down to a Epi Valve Jnr Stack, or a Vox ADVT-XL, for me the epi wins on the tube sound and cool look's stake, but the Vox is more versatile with it's modelling, however the Epi is supposed to react well with pedals, I just can't decide what would be better - a good all tube amp that can be tailored with pedals that looks cool, or a cheaper modelling amp that has a bunch of sounds built in but is probably not as good for a nice tube tone..

Opinions, insults and insights gratefully received!

:D

Thanks for all your input guys. I've just ordered a hot-rod matched pair of JB/Jazz, a good price too (£105 the pair).

Wez - I just missed out on BKP Cold Sweat on ebay the other day, it only went for £37!!! Bargain!

As for an amp, I've made a decision, and I've bought a hot-rod modded Epi Jnr Valve head (gain, voice, tone, master volue, power-brake and line-in/line out added) and a cab with a celestion vintage 30 - should sound pretty good!

Just need to get the explorer finished so I can give it a full work out!!