Ergonomic Guitar Build

I am thrilled to announce that I am now taking orders for the fixed bridge version of the "EGS: Ergonomic Guitar System"! Please watch my homepage and this site for more info about the tremolo version.

Here is a mock-up of the bridge, with only three strings. It is sold individually and priced per string, so you can do 6-, 7-, 8-string instruments or mixed scale guitars.

pa170116-400x300.jpg

The string lock, by popular demand! See my home page for more info. This mock-up shows it mounted in three alternative ways.

pa170117-400x300.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thrilled to announce that I am now taking orders for the fixed bridge version of the "EGS: Ergonomic Guitar System"! Please watch my homepage and this site for more info about the tremolo version.

Here is a mock-up of the bridge, with only three strings. It is sold individually and priced per string, so you can do 6-, 7-, 8-string instruments or mixed scale guitars.

pa170116-400x300.jpg

The string lock, by popular demand! See my home page for more info. This mock-up shows it mounted in three alternative ways.

pa170117-400x300.jpg

how much? :D

His website says €35/string.

How large a string can these accomodate, Ola? This might be just the thing for a baritone build I'm planning.

I've got to get some money together and get a set of these.

Yes, introductory price is indeed 35 Euros per string - that is for tuner/bridge and string lock.

The current design can take a string up to 2 mm diameter at the wound end. How big do you need? I have only a small number of units finished (finished as in surface treated) so I can machine a larger diameter before sending the next batch to the finishing shop.

Cheers,

Ola

I think that would work fine for me - I'm thinking I wouldn't want to go much larger than 1.7 mm at this point.

I have to go look at the bank account and see if I can't justify this expense - I won't be wrapping up a build for these until next summer, but I'd like to get a pair now and play around with it a bit on one of the beaters while I figure out this design. (Always good to design around hardware than try and kludge it later on.)

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year to all of you here at Project Guitar! I'm not moving quite as fast as I had wanted on my build, but do have some encouraging progress on the hardware. The fixed bridge/tuner is shipping currently. The tremolos pictured here are assembled with my stainless prototype knife. As soon as I get the hardened steel version (any day now...) I will be ready to ship tremolos as well.

tremolo-silver.gif

tremolo-black.gif

tuner-colors1.gif

As always: more info on my home page.

As soon as I start making some money off this, I will definitely look into extending the range of available items :-)

FYI, I am offering a very generous warranty on these pieces to ease your mind regarding potential "1.0" aspects.

Cheers,

Ola

Edited by Strandberg Guitarworks

• 3 weeks later...

i dont want to say which one i picked and risk influencing the vote but after i voted i see the one i preferred was in the lead. To me it sounded much fuller and richer, more complex. I almost went for the one thats in second place but i though the highs were slightly harsher on the clean sample, but that worked quite well with gain. The one thats currently in last place seemed a little bit lifeless compared to the others but still sounded reasonable and quite well balanced... just lacking something special and i might worry about losing it in a mix

now if they change places that post will make no sense at all :D

i wouldnt mind knowing which was pepsi

Well, for me it was a tie between the ones that were in first and second at the time (as it turned out, well, actully the bottom two were tied, but not after I voted). I ended up voting for the one that's in second at the moment, only cause it sounded like it had a little more lows in the distorted one. But I really like the other one too.

I voted for the second place one. The one that's winning sounded "boingy" to me. More bass maybe, but not as tight. It's really not a great test because you can't standardize how the notes are played. You'd need a machine to strum it kind of like they use a machine to test golf clubs. Of course, how it'll sound given your style/attack etc is completely up in the air, and I think most good players will be able to compensate for some of the differences.

Todd

I woted for number two in the poll. And I really disliked the one currently at number one. My number two vote would have been the one last in the poll.

The ball bearing idea seems pretty interesting. To me each sample sounded good and mostly the same. Most tonal differences could probably be taken care of with the eq on the amp. Does anybody know a source for ball bearings to use on tremolos as I was thinking since the knife edges on my ibanez are old and could use replacing that I could try building a holder for ball bearings that will fit the slot that the knife edges insert into on it.