Wet Sand

It basically keeps the paper from clogging as much and reduces the effective grit of the paper. For guitars there is some debate regarding the dangers of wet sanding. Basically if you have holes for screws the water can get trapped causing the wood to swell and the finish to crack.

I stoped wetsanding and just using higher grits based on Craig Fraser's advice who does a lot of work for Jackson's custom shop.

A little drop of oilless unscented dish detergent can help the process.

I still wetsand and then polish, but I recently switched to wetsanding with mineral oil. ONLY DO THIS FOR FINAL POLISHING, if you do it for intermediate sanding you may have issue with the next coats of finish adhering. Just add a few drops to the area of the surface you are working and sand away. No need to soak the paper like with water, no fumes like naptha, no need to fill the holes or cracks in the finish if you forget to fill the holes like with water, and nice soft hands. You can also use baby oil which is mineral oil with scent. The sand paper does not load up, and cuts nice and smooth.

I newly started using micromesh....dry.Works very well and I get better results for me than I do wetsanding.
Wes I have used Micromesh for years. May I suggest that you use mineral spirits as a lubricant, as this will make your investment in MM last longer and make cleanup of the same much more pleasant. Mineral spirits will not harm most finishes that are used by most here and will not harm the wood or raise grain as water will. I have found that my MM will last about twice as long using the MS as not using it. Just a friendly suggestion to a friend!!!! :D

Sincerely,

Mike

I use a combination of Micro Mesh pads, Abralon pads, and Finesse It polishing compounds.

I also take the time before I start finishing to use a Q-tip dipped in lacquer to coat ALL surfaces that could possibly absorb water and lift the finish.

It's easy, it doesn't take very long to do, and it is a necessary part of finishing IMO.

Having said that, I do still use water, on a minimal basis.

But I keep a towel at hand to continually wipe it off quickly, and compressed air to blow it out of holes and cavities.

This is my '4-Layer' Protection Plan. :D

Coat ALL surfaces before finishing.

Use Minimum water.

Wipe it off as you go with a clean towel.

Blow all holes and cavities out with compressed air.

Wes I have used Micromesh for years. May I suggest that you use mineral spirits as a lubricant, as this will make your investment in MM last longer and make cleanup of the same much more pleasant. Mineral spirits will not harm most finishes that are used by most here and will not harm the wood or raise grain as water will.

Thanks Mikro...I do use mineral spirits,but only to clean between "grits"...I do make a mess though.