Anybody Wanna Do A 'Carriburst' Competition?

Drak

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well THAT'S not gonna do it :D

u just wait and see mr negativity! B)

lol just kidding, i already have a nice island blue colour i used on my desk, i just need a green that'll go with it,

but seriously, can this be done without an airbrush/paint gun/$$$ painting equipment?

maybe divide the paint job up into 5 zones blue, bb:g, b:g, b:gg, green, thin everything down so i have to do a couple coats of the stain to get the colour so i have room to fade with my brush without to much worries??

...and a badass piece of wood...ooohy that's gonna hurt the wallet

...hehehehe... :D

BTW, I think the first few posts on the new thread should be the pics we've already gathered on this thread, but all posted right up front at the beginning just as a point of reference...that Jet, and those other ones, and those Bahama Islands color pics were good too.

...And a BIG ole' picture of ...CARMEN MIRANDA!!! BWAHAAHAAHAA! :D

I'm off in search of a good Carmen pic now... B)

PPS, and Derek's question is a perfect example of what the new thread should be concerned with. Derek might blow us all away by doing it some way we with airbrushes wudda never though of...

I heard 'in the wind' that the prize is gonna be either a life-size poster of Carmen Miranda or the dreadlocked rastaman himself, Bob Marley, ...winner's choice.

...the free 'Weekend in Bermuda' vacation just wasn't quite do-able...

Oh, BTW, here's the Official Masthead pic. :D

"Underneath the Mango Tree, Me Honey and Me..."

cami5.jpg

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

but seriously, can this be done without an airbrush/paint gun/$$$ painting equipment?

maybe divide the paint job up into 5 zones blue, bb:g, b:g, b:gg, green, thin everything down so i have to do a couple coats of the stain to get the colour so i have room to fade  with my brush without to much worries??

Seriously, go to Wallyworld and go to the automotive section. Check out duplicolor's anodized topcoats.....tinted clear!! I'll find a link.

Duplicolor

Yahoo Shopping

I think this might help.

does that metalcast actually show up as a clear stain? that's awesome if it does. i would've never thought to "use" it.that woulda been helpful when i first started refinishing and had no clue how to properly stain a piece of wood...

MUSICAL%20GRADE%20POPCORN%20QUILT3.jpg

I found the perfect pieces for a carriburst. Too big for me, but does any one want to go buy any of this??? Two pieces are 4/4 x 7.5" x 120". I only need one piece 20" long. They are asking $500.00 for the two. This is easily enough for ten drop top. That would make a lot of nice tops for the compitition. Any takers??

I already know how to do a Carriburst, and I'm sure others do to, but for the folks who are giving it a run...

...but may not know 'everything there is to know' about the fabled and infamous Carriburst finish, I thought maybe we should have a tips and tricks section?

This is a good idea.I know it would help me.

hmmm.... maybe i'd be cool if we all used that same peice? then it's a direct paint comparison???  there's about 10 of us in on this here

Hey Derek, I like your way of thinking. That would be the only way I could ever get this piece. $50.00 for a AAAAA 7.5" x 20" x 1" sounds like a great deal. Hope somebody else likes that idea.

Earlier I posted a question about the length of a P bass. Would 20" be enough to top a body??

you know, if everyone tags on for that maple, i'd be more than happy to chip in my little bit for a piece of it.

...thanks, but I already have my wood. Woo-Hoo! :D

www, just guessing, but I think to do a bass you'd need about 24" or therabouts.

Nice hunka hunka Maple tho...

Aw, shucks. I have been having a hard time finding a great piece that is affordable. I'll keep hoping enough people want some. If anybody does want a piece let me know.

Email: wwnsw@centurytel.net

I am going back outside to continue cutting on some maple in hopes of finding the right piece. Also, I was afraid that 20" wouldn't work for the bass. Thanks. Wes

Maybe you could shoot for a really high-grade flamed piece.

Flamed isn't usually as expensive as quilted.

Just a thought...

..or maybe Sycamore?... :D

I have quite a bit of flamed maple of the trees I cut down last weekend. I was hoping for quilt though. How does sycamore finish?

besides,you`ll want to see the whole thing before you fork over $500.

I agree I am always sceptical of net shopping. I looked at some sycamore just now and found some beautiful wood for a resonable price. Still have to know how it finishes.

Sycamore is one of those names used for a variety of species, and this common usage can lead to confusion. The authors of the Encyclopedia of Wood try to make sense of the situation. “What the British call sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus), the Americans call maple, and what the Americans call sycamore (Platanus occidentalis) the British call lacewood. What the Australians, on the third hand, call maple (actually Queensland maple, Flidersia braleyana) is part of the satinwood family (rutaceae).”

I'm so confused.