How To Drill Already Finished Wood?

i have a custom Warmoth precision bass.

the problem with ordering like that is they don't drill ANYTHING except the bridge holes and thats ONLY because i ordered the bridge with it..

so, the wood is already painted and poly'ed.. got any tips as to how to go about drilling pilot holes for the pickguard without badly cracking the coat of poly?

and start with the drill running backwards if using a handdrill

Even better if the hand drill's trigger can work as a throttle. Do it backwards slowly at first. Get through the finish before going into the wood. If you go through the finish too quickly, friction might scorch it. I don't think the burns would ever come out, so a re-touch would be necessary.

Good luck!

well the pilot holes for the pick guard screws are going to be so tiny, i wonder if it would even burn..

plus, if it does, it's going to be covered by a pick guard ANYHOW..

i was just concerned about the finish cracking when i drilled, thats all

so basically you're all saying to just be very careful when getting through the poly, and then drill the wood normally, right?

It's already been noted, but I can't help but stress how important good sharp bits are! Start with a small hole and go larger. Also, use a pilot bit to chamfer the holes BEFORE putting screws in. It's more likely that the screw will damage the finish than the bit. It's also helpful to make the start of the hole the same size as the screw so the threads don't dig in right there.

-Doug

i have a custom Warmoth precision bass.

the problem with ordering like that is they don't drill ANYTHING except the bridge holes and thats ONLY because i ordered the bridge with it..

so, the wood is already painted and poly'ed.. got any tips as to how to go about drilling pilot holes for the pickguard without badly cracking the coat of poly?

I would do this with a brad point bit with outer points.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...cat=1,180,42240

Edited by guitar2005