Angled pickups

fidgec94

i duno what strat's or tele's you've seen them on, certainly not from fender, but angling pickups is done so that they line up perpendicular to the strings on instruments with necks that are angled back like gibsons, and it's usualy done by just using an angled humberker ring,

althought i have seen a jackson with angled pickups on a straight neck, guess they just screwed up and put the wrong wrings on during assembly cause it looked kinda stupid.

I think he means the actual pick up is at angles with the strings

EVH's guitars with the humbuckers at the bridge were angled because the humbuckers pole peices were to far spaced for the strat style bridge.

this was on his home made guitars with the standard strat style trem, He used a PAF pick up

Whats the deal with these? The obvious one being a strat or tele. I've also noticed that one of the Stephen Carpenter signature ESPs and guitar of the month also have angled pickups. Is it just asthetics or is there a practical purpose?

The pickups were originally angled because early guitar amps couldn't amplify high frequencys that well. Angling the bridge pickup (and also not having a tone control for it on a Strat) meant that you were cranking a lot of high freqs to the amp. The closer the coil is to the bridge, the more high frequencies are picked up by the coil.

Now it's really more for tradition than anything. New amps have no problems pushing higher frequencies. So the trick of placing the pickup at an angle like that is not needed. In fact, a straight bridge pickup into a new amp sounds a bit like driving a nail through my ear. I can't stand 'em. I use the neck pickup for most everything on a standard strat.

Hope that helped.

I've never had a Strat but I always thought that the string spacing on a Floyd Rose was the same as on a Strat trem.

I think this is true. I'm pretty sure that they are within 1/32" of eachother. My floyd bridges that I have been installing are 2 3/32". I think the strat trem is 2 1/8"?

the angle is to do with desired tone, and balence between strings, the closer to the neck at one side means more bass etc...

some drive is lost through the angle, and harmonics are attenuated a bit.

EVH's original "angeled" pick up was due to the fact that his charvel guitar body was originally routed for single coils, the super strat was still in its conceptional stages. he routed it himself with a chisle and a hammer, thats why it looked like ****. however there was magic in the air that day, because for years and years people have been in search of that tone, i myself have given up the serch.

I am starting to believe that the artists custom guitars (signature series) are no longer about having a special tone, but simply for cosmetic purposes. It's kind of a way for fans with money to waste, to play on a similar guitar to that of their musician idol.

You're right, Carpenter's signature series does have very tight pickup spacing (as in, the two humbuckers have absolutely no gap between them). You'll notice that the humbuckers are different brands/models, as opposed to the majority of the signature series that have the EMG 81 sets. One reason for this, could be that both the Seymour Duncan SH-4 and the ESP LH-200 are designed for the bridge position, and by the pickup spacing being very tight, it enables him to use two different bridge pickups on the one guitar.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I could be completely off-track here (which wouldn't be a big surprise).

• 5 weeks later...

on the topic of EVH's pickup i don't think that he angled it because it was too wide of spacing. If he did it at all because of the width, it would have to be because it was too narrow since the gibsons (he took them off of 335's) had a narrower spacing, and angling it would make it wider (because of the two coils; it would make a single coil less wide). and some of that tone comes from his original PAF being messed up, and the variac that he lowered the voltage going to the amp with