String Ferrules Required?

I am currently about half way through a build (pics will be posted later) and i'm up to the stage where I need to drill holes for the bridge, I am using a fixed strat style Gotoh bridge. My question is that are ferrules needed for this type of bridge. This is the one: gtc102b.jpg

Thanks

Edited by tomrulez

Welcome to the forum. Anytime i have a guitar that strings through the body i use string ferrules. Im not sure if you NEED them or not because im pretty sure with a bridge like that, the string end would catch on the bridge itself but im not completely sure. I would say yes to ferrules.. just make sure you drill perfectly straight because even the slightest bit off and it will stick out like a sore thumb on the back because they are the only thing going on back there really. good luck, and lets see some pics of this guitar

The string ends do catch on the bridge, I've already tested that. I might just put them in just to be safe. Have you got a good way to get all the string holes lined up and in the right place easily?

Thanks

wait... the strings catch on the bridge itself? then why would you put ferrules on the bridge itself? what kind of guitar?

Ferrules make the holes nice and clean looking however. Those string have to enter from under the bridge somewhere! Plus the wrapping on the ball end shouldn't be stressed by it being bent over the edge of the bridge through hole. You could lose a lot of strings that way, and the ball end may not seat securely like it would in a ferrule.

I use an acrylic template for that purpose. Thing is, you need to drill that accurately so it's chicken and egg. Or is that egg and egg in this situation? :-D

You can line them up if you score the horizontal line where they all line up with a blade to make a thin line. I do this, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing it because you have to sand that back out....

Use a lip and spur bit to drill the holes - do you have a pillar drill? If so, made sure the workpiece is securely held on the platen, and bring the spur down so it nips into the centre of the point you measure for the ferrule. Then turn the drill on and drill it. Make sure your platen, workpiece and drill head haven't or cannot move! Measure measure measure and don't drill if you're not 100%! This is why I opted to make a ferrule template which I can clamp to the body. Can't take chances at the best of times!

This is just how I get away with it. There are plenty of other people with different methods - you just have to use what tools you have available and find your own way.

You do have a pillar drill, right? :-D

I use clear acrylic, and am about to upgrade my templates to 10mm instead of the 6mm i'm currently using. It's easy to score the surface if acrylic with a blade corner against a straightedge - grab some acrylic (Perspex) scrap or a sheet from somewhere. It's awesomely useful stuff. Incidentally, put the scored guidelines on the bottom edge to line it all up....! Hope you get good results.

what i always did was drill halfway through the back, then halfway through the front to join them. The bit may walk a little bit on you but if you do it this way, you wont notice the results being off on either side if that makes any sense. You shouldnt have enough walk that it would make the holes not meet.. otherwise you did something really wrong. This also greatly lowers the chance of any kind of blowout when the drill leaves.... because the drill never leaves. Good luck!

Here's what I do. I'm pretty sure I picked up the idea here.

I mount the bridge on the front and drill the 2 outside string holes all the way through and the others about half way. I then re-mount the bridge on the back, using the 2 outside string holes for screws, then drill the others the rest of the way.

Problem with that is what Pariah mentioned - the bit will more likely than as not walk out during the drilling through which will possibly misalign the outer holes. You're perfectly correct in using the bridge as a template (it's perfect) although you'll need to open the holes out to seat the ferrules. Those counterbore pieces mentioned in a previous thread would be perfect for doing the job this way....

If you drill the two outer holes all the way through, you'll find that they will no longer align with the holes on the bridge when you pop it on the back.

• 2 weeks later...
The string ends do catch on the bridge, I've already tested that. I might just put them in just to be safe. Have you got a good way to get all the string holes lined up and in the right place easily?

Thanks

Why are ferrules needed here? The strings are not going thru the body. Ferrules serve as an achor in the back of bodies so your string ball ends dont rip thru your wood, body 'top' ferrules are used to provide a solid ramp break angle. -Vinny