Small Guitar Questions

Hi all,

I'm thinking about building a small guitar for my daugher. By the time I get it done, she would be 4, real young I know, but there are plenty of you tube of 6 and 8 year olds who can play.

Anyway, she is pretty little, so a full size guitar would be almost impossible for her to manage.

1. Should I make a smaller body, and have a full size neck? Would I do her a diservice down the road if I did a smaller scale neck.

2. If I did a smaller scale, then would is be ok, to space the strings closer together? I would have to make a bridge, but that's doable.

I guess my basic question is how do people feel about a non standard size guitar to start learning on, then advance to a full size guitar in a couple of years.

I could make a travel guitar, and the size would work, but the neck is going to be a problem for her.

What do you think?

Regards,

-John

It doesn't seem to unusual for people to do small bodied/small scaled instruments for kids. I say go for it. Thegarehanman did a small scale guitar for a client not too long ago, and i'm sure that he can answer any questions about potential pitfalls and whatnot for you. If you search for the thread on here you should be able to find it, also check out his website for images. Garehan Guitars

I'd just follow mandolin plans, ie. scale length etc. Could even wind your own little bitty pickups. I'd use blade magnets rather than pole magnets. I've got a few friends who play guitar and now have toddlers, I might just look into making some baby teles for them in the future.

i`d say, make her a mandolin, a ukelele seems ideal, since it has nylon strings, and that would be better for her little fingers.

then when she`s older, she can migrate to different instruments.

now that I think about it, I strongly suggest that you build a ukulele

lol.

I`m gonna build one for me! starting now!

i`d say, make her a mandolin, a ukelele seems ideal, since it has nylon strings, and that would be better for her little fingers.

lol.

Thanks everyone, I will start looking into it. I don't know anything about a ukelele, but my next search will probably keep me busy for a couple of hours. Thanks!

-John

lol.

Thanks everyone, I will start looking into it. I don't know anything about a ukelele, but my next search will probably keep me busy for a couple of hours. Thanks!

-John

Hi John,

funny you should ask this question. I have been looking for a set of plans for a baritone uke. I'm not sure what the site was I found last night but will look for it again. They had a set of plans for just what you are looking for. I bookmarked it, but it is on my other computer so give some time and I'll get it for you. It was either an 18 1/2" or 20" scale.

Mike

edited to add: found on the MIMF plans

MIMF Link to small Guitar/Baritone Uke plan

Edited by MiKro

I build custom scale basses for myself.

I have some basses with a 30" scale.

Not too much is different from a builders point of view.

You cant use a lot of the out of the box measurment tools that companies like Stew Mac make, but with a little math and patience you can get it done.

I will say that meeting an instrument at your own scale length is nice.

I'm a small framed man, been playing bass for 17 years...and I love my short scale stuff.

Sure, I'm building two minis right now. They are 19" scale, mini versions of a design I am also building full size for myself. Really i always thought the little Chiquitas, and the mini Les Pauls were cool and wanted one just to screw around on in the shop. My son also wants to learn to play, and I thought about getting one of those micro Ibanez but figured I'd make one myself. I am sort of using it as a testbed as well.

Brian May also has a new mini out, the MiniMay. hehehe It's SUPER cool.