Idea...

i have an ESP M II deluxe...and it has a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge...but every other M style guitar...(like kirk hammetts) has 2 humbuckers..and i prefer that sound too...so i was thinking about routing the single coil hole bigger to fit a humbucker...so heres my question. Do i have to strip off the finish in order to route? or can i tape off the area and route or do you guys have any ideas? because it is a transparent red finish and would be very difficult to recreate a similar looking finish...or am i just nuts?thanks

tape off around the route, and maybe put some newpaper under the edges of the tape to protect the rest of the guitar from scratchs and what not, then like scott said score it. I'd recomend u work out the alignment before u tape up though just to make things simpler

well two reasons...ive considered that tho..but 1. i like the look of two humbuckers..it just looks better...and 2. they dont sell the pickup i want in a single coil setup....but i think im gonna just route it...still thinkin about it..thanks alot guys