Fingers Turning Black

Hey all,

I have 2 Epi Les Pauls with the same brand/type of strings. When playing one of them, I get black stuff on my fingers, even with brand new strings. I have tried cleaning the fingerboard many times and still get the stuff on my fingers. I think it may be coming from the frets because when I rub my fingers across each fret, I get the black stuff. My ques is what can I do to clean the frets and get rid of this stuff? Thanks!

Edited by reegis

It could just be the metal that the frets are made out of. With the stuff coming out of China, Tawain, Korea and whatnot, you just never really know what you're getting.

I try to avoid buying anything made in those countries. I don't want to encourage them in their mass produced crap.

polish your frets i use a silver polishing cloth but check out the tutorials i'm sure i saw one on polishing frets.

edit: as mark says below some people sweat some kind of weird stuff that melts metal :D

Edited by joshvegas

Hmm, there is this weird thing I remember where some people have too much iron or something and when they come into contact with certain metals it actually leaves black lines on the skin. I forget what is used for the experiment, maybe a nickel. We did it in school I believe, maybe middle school. It was funny because some kids would walk around the rest of the day with these black lines all over their faces. This probably isn't the case here, but it sounds very similar and just reminded me of that. J

Hmm, there is this weird thing I remember where some people have too much iron or something and when they come into contact with certain metals it actually leaves black lines on the skin. I forget what is used for the experiment, maybe a nickel. We did it in school I believe, maybe middle school. It was funny because some kids would walk around the rest of the day with these black lines all over their faces. This probably isn't the case here, but it sounds very similar and just reminded me of that. J

I think you could be right or very nearly i mean my strings don't rust ever they barely even tarnish! possibly the ph level of your sweat?

Probably not a good idea to lick you fingers!

Edited by joshvegas

My brother's sweat destroys everything... nickel bridges, pickup covers, gold ones, and strings. He claims Elixer strings last longer in that they don't rust up so quick. Still, he has to wipe them down during breaks.

Since silver does produce black tarnish, and maybe your skin reacts more with it, you might quickly pick up the black from the fret. Have someone else try after you've wiped then off.

-Doug

Also some woods have a very high iron content. Best common example I can think of is walnut, after a day of work your fingertips may be black. Could be your fretboard was not finished well or the finish has worn.

Are absoLUTELY positive that you're not just wearing through your top layers of skin to a black layer of skin below?

A sort of black and white minstrel in reverse? :D

Are absoLUTELY positive that you're not just wearing through your top layers of skin to a black layer of skin below?

A sort of black and white minstrel in reverse? :D

Michael Jackson :D

I would try rubbing your finger over the fretboard for a few minutes to see if thats the real cause? Eliminate the strings and frets.it's called in the trade eliminating the other possible causes. Remove a string or two. Some wood has a natural Tannen in it that turns my fingers darker, but ebony or rosewood was never on this list as far as I can remember. Could be some die if it is the wood.