Maton - On The Lookout For Staff.

Hello my name is Paris. I'm a pretty long-term member of project guitars and have just recently returned to it after a break.

I work at Maton Guitars in Box Hill Melbourne and thought I would quickly let people know that management are always on the look for dedicated and talented people to work for them. If anyone is at all interested feel free to ask me any questions and have a browse of the Maton website. HERE There are also tours run of the factory and all interest in working for the company is taken very seriously.

It really is a fantastic job doing something for a living that you can feel proud of...and next time your watching your favourite artist and their playing a guitar that you helped make, its a great feeling.

Anyway that's all I have to say...feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer them, cheers...

Hello my name is Paris. I'm a pretty long-term member of project guitars and have just recently returned to it after a break.

I work at Maton Guitars in Box Hill Melbourne and thought I would quickly let people know that management are always on the look for dedicated and talented people to work for them. If anyone is at all interested feel free to ask me any questions and have a browse of the Maton website. HERE There are also tours run of the factory and all interest in working for the company is taken very seriously.

It really is a fantastic job doing something for a living that you can feel proud of...and next time your watching your favourite artist and their playing a guitar that you helped make, its a great feeling.

Anyway that's all I have to say...feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer them, cheers...

I would move to melbourne, just to work there.

What do you do there? Duties? Training?

I would move to melbourne, just to work there.

What do you do there? Duties? Training?

Well Maton Predominantly makes acoustic guitars and we have staff of about 50, with perhaps 90% of these people working in the Acoustic production areas.

These areas include Body Building (taking bent sides and gluing on kerfing and attaching the face and back) Body Prep (Binding and sanding the guitar) Assembly (Fitting the Neck and fingerboard and fretting the guitar) Then paint shop and setup. These are the main areas but there's also smaller operations, such as Machine shop, Side bending, CNC and Multicam. CNC and Multicam are the areas I work in, I started in CNC roughing necks, fingerboards, bridges, Electric guitar bodies etc.. Currently I'm on Multicam which cuts the rosette and soundholes, face and back profiles, routs the dovetails amongst other things...

I actually moved here from Adelaide about 8 months ago to work for Maton...I looked in apprenticeships and other ways of getting into it professionally but in the end Maton seemed the best move to make....its really been fantastic, its quite a small operation and there's heaps of training available and very passionate staff. For me I feel its really been a worthwhile move...

I've got a mate who moved there from Brissie a few months ago to work with you guys (Rob) I had a chat with one of your managers a few years ago at the Brisbane guitar show. Would have loved to go work with you guys but the wifie didn't want to move to cold cold Melbourne

Yeah I actually work with Rob, I trained him on multicam 1, currently he's doing body building on Multicam 2... hes a good bloke, i think management are pretty stoked to have him...Hmm it was probably Patrick Evans you spoke with, bloody smart guy, full of all sorts of info.

Yeah I actually work with Rob, I trained him on multicam 1, currently he's doing body building on Multicam 2... hes a good bloke, i think management are pretty stoked to have him...Hmm it was probably Patrick Evans you spoke with, bloody smart guy, full of all sorts of info.

It was an old guy with an earing, must have been 60 or something. I remember seeing him in the "History of Maton" movie they played at the Guitar Show. I think he was with the company for like 40 years or something. Gave me his card and a ticket for a free tour or the manufacture if I ever pass by Melbourne.

Yeah, Rob's a very nice guy, I miss him already, we had a great time chatting about bass guitar building.

So what qualifications do you need? i.e will you train people from 0 to any skill level, or do you actualy have to have some luthiery skills?

Well in the process of the interview, the managers will get people to do a practical test such as rout a rebate for binding and maybe some fretting or sanding, it all depends on where they feel the person would be suitable and where their interested in working. If you get a job there's full training in the process. Many of the people who work for us are musicians who may never have touched a tool in their lives..but they get trained and pick it up brilliantly.

So, what does the average worker earn at Maton?

Were on your typical trade wage, after training and probation it goes up a little bit. In the end though its still guitar making and as many of the full time luthiers on here know, your never going to make millions in it. I know it sounds a bit wanky, but for me its about getting up every morning and doing a job which I love.

if you can hire someone from Venezuela i'd move to Aussie in a heartbeat to work with Maton guitars

Well we've actually just hired a fella who moved here from Uruguay who's really enthusiastic and a good worker...he doesn't speak much English though and his accent is really heavy so training him is very interesting :D

oh my gosh!!! The dream job, but I'm still too young to move to Australia! If i was 5 years older i would move down tomorrow. You probably get this a lot Paris, but do you ever get to meet Tommy Emmanuel? Also, do you need any special degrees or anything to work there?

Too young?..you might have explain this to me. Yeah I think Tommy does come through occasionally, he hasn't been through since I've been there though. We had Brian Mcfadden come through the other day and the boys from Ween...plus other artists often take the tour. Were actually working on a guitar at the moment for Tommy Emmanuel, I routed the dovetail earlier this week...its pretty cool when you get a guitar through and the custom sheet has the name of the artist on it and your thinking "I'm probably going to see them playing this guitar in the future" Its real cool...

[

if you can hire someone from Venezuela i'd move to Aussie in a heartbeat to work with Maton guitars

Well we've actually just hired a fella who moved here from Uruguay who's really enthusiastic and a good worker...he doesn't speak much English though and his accent is really heavy so training him is very interesting :D

Ok so what do i have to do then? I can speak english just fine, i even picked up a british accent while living in London, so there's a pretty good chance i'll pick up the aussie as well B) I can build neck thru guitars, set neck, bolt on, carve necks, do inlays, carve tops, anything you want :D

I have thought about moving to Australia, since they need dentists, but the exams are expensive and are a pain in the arse!! I'd rather build guitars for a living! :D

I have thought about moving to Australia, since they need dentists, but the exams are expensive and are a pain in the arse!! I'd rather build guitars for a living! :D

Quality use of the the word arse so often confused with a word that implies some sort of donkey horse hybrid thing.

The population in australia is going to increase ten fold in the next few weeks. You know there must be a gap in the TV market for "Find me A strict Luthier thats got talent Idol academy of fame"

:D

oh my gosh!!! The dream job, but I'm still too young to move to Australia! If i was 5 years older i would move down tomorrow. You probably get this a lot Paris, but do you ever get to meet Tommy Emmanuel? Also, do you need any special degrees or anything to work there?

Too young?..you might have explain this to me. Yeah I think Tommy does come through occasionally, he hasn't been through since I've been there though. We had Brian Mcfadden come through the other day and the boys from Ween...plus other artists often take the tour. Were actually working on a guitar at the moment for Tommy Emmanuel, I routed the dovetail earlier this week...its pretty cool when you get a guitar through and the custom sheet has the name of the artist on it and your thinking "I'm probably going to see them playing this guitar in the future" Its real cool...

Yea, i'm 16 so by the time i'm 21 i'll have this luthier stuff down. Maton seems like a company that by no doubt will be expanding in the future. That means you'll need more people. I'll check back in 5 years *wink* (i can't believe that there's no winking smiley face).