Green To Blue Burst On Flame Maple

Why capital letters? That is not very polite...

Are you looking for a mixed, tinted ready to spray from a can finish? For some reason reranch doesn't open up like it used to... That whould have been my starting point. If you cannot find a ready mixed finish in a can it can be done with hand applied stain. Not an easy task, but it can be done. I think it has been covered in an earlier thread. Search for "wet canvas" or something like that.

It looks like a Candy color sprayed around the edges to create the burst effect. Also, I clicked the image to see a better picture and noticed the funky finish on the back of the neck. At least I think it was a finish. Oh, it's a carbon fiber neck, sometimes I just like to look at the pictures.

Edited by six_stringer

I assure you that having my caps lock button activated doesn't mean anything, I like to write in all caps when I am at work.

OK, Captain. Capital letters mean shouting in the internet. Obviously not so in this case. I will remain quite then...

There is two ways of doing this. Either apply stain onto bare wood

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...st&p=360930

or spraying some clear onto the green, followed by a burst in blue. The last is my no 1 method. If you screw things up you can sand away the burst and start over. If that happens on bare wood…

If you do not find translucent finish in a can and don't have access to a compressor this might be your last chance:

Get some blue tint/stain from here:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supp...uid_Stains.html

Mix it with lacquer:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supp...ng_Lacquer.html

And use this:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supp...Spray_Unit.html

to spray the burst around the edges.

A nice and even sunburst (or blueburst or whatever) takes a lot of practice. It is also essential to test the colours together. Just because they look all right on their own it doesn’t mean that they will have the right effect when shot upon each other. It takes some testing on scrap to get exactly the effect you want. Example: try a yellow centre and a blue burst around the edges. What will happen? The transition area will turn green! Mix blue and yellow and you get green (duh). So whatever your method are, be sure to test the colours first.

I don't recommend the Preval for bursting, especially one as marked as the one on the bass. Use a cheap ($25) airbrush from Michaels for the burst and the preval for clear.

Now, your strat, is it stained green from the factory? You give not much information, so we are throwing ideas to you without knowing what you actually have, so some of them might not work...

I should have addede I have not tried the Preval system. Sorry for that. So, Maiden, is the Preval systemm too inconsistent or will spit or... I'm just curious. An Airbrush kan be used with good results for a sunburst. I have tried it myself when I wanted a very clear and prominent border (still burst-ish) between the two colors. Is that Michaels Airbrush including a small can of compressed air or is it including a small compressor?

Did anyone mention that if you've already colored it green you cant lay transparent blue over it and get blue. With a Kandy paint you will either get black or darker green. The bass he pointed out was probably done solid blue and then bursted with yellow or a green in the middle. Remember yellow and blue make green?

• 1 month later...