First Project: Stratocaster

Hey everybody!

It's taken quite a long time, but I've finally begun to build my first guitar. After raiding various local music stores, I've come to two conclusions: A) I am a big fan of the way the Strats look and play, and :D Employees at Guitar Center don't know jacks@*t about anything. Anyways, a good handful of you probably remember my enormous topic where I basically bombarded you with questions until I had my fill of information, so hopefully you guys will recognize me and not think that I made that enormous project and simply left afterwards. Anyways.

Here are the specs that I was thinking:

Swamp Ash Body

• Blue-bursted finish
  • Black pearloid pickguard

• 22-fret
    • Ebony Fretboard
    • Tung-oil finish

Sperzel Locking Tuners

Hipshot Tremolo

5-way Super Switch

Dimarzio Area '58 - neck

Dimarzio Area '61 - middle

Dimarzio Steve's Special - bridge

(pickups aren't finalized, but I think those are my choice for now)

Later in the summer, I hope to swap out the saddles on the Hipshot and put on Graphtechs, to give it a piezoacoustic option.

Here is a photoshop mockup of what it should look like (given I don't accidentally set it on fire or blow it to smithereens):

stoopid-ebony-SHUPERBLACK-1.jpg

Anyways, I actually ordered most of the parts 6 weeks ago, but I'm still waiting on the wood, neck, and some random electronic bits. I've found out that my dad knows a machinist with a lot of experience with a CNC milling machine, so I'm hoping that I can get the CNC to cut out most of the body for us, and then we'll handle the rest after that point.

I'm hoping that with some dedicated (but paced evenly) work, this should turn out to be an awesome guitar!

Well, nice to see you're ready to make a start.

I have to say though, getting someone else to cut the body for you makes no sense at all. And if they're willing to CNC it, you might as well have the do all the routes too. So why not just buy a Strat body in that case? Save the body blank for when you're ready to do all the work yourself.

In the meantime, you could be spending your time making templates.

Yeah, I realized the same thing last night. It's not really "my" guitar if someone else cuts it out. Hmm.

I do have a jigsaw, but I recognize that those are less ideal than using a band saw. I suppose I should go find someone with a band saw? (It shouldn't be too hard, I bet the machinist has one).

Yep, I've been looking into making them for quite some time. I've borrowed my friend's (now-neglected) MIM Stratocaster for the time being, and I'm almost ready to transfer what I have to MDF. Thanks for the advice!

Two things:

First, I agree with Mickuard. If you're going to have someone else do the body, go all the way. For a beginner, there's NO SHAME AT ALL in making a "kit" guitar. This gives you invaluable lessons in wood finishing, planning, and assembly. You can either gather the pieces & hardware separately, or get a kit with everything included. Either way is fine, though gathering all the parts yourself would teach you more. If you get a whole kit, I strongly advise the Carvin kit. I made one 10 years ago and it's absolutely great.

Second, Carvin makes great necks. Be aware that they have a wide nut and a flat board. If that's not for you, look elsewhere. If you like that, however, they're beautiful.

In any event, take lots of pics and post your progress often!

Yeah, I realized the same thing last night. It's not really "my" guitar if someone else cuts it out. Hmm.

I do have a jigsaw, but I recognize that those are less ideal than using a band saw. I suppose I should go find someone with a band saw? (It shouldn't be too hard, I bet the machinist has one).

Yep, I've been looking into making them for quite some time. I've borrowed my friend's (now-neglected) MIM Stratocaster for the time being, and I'm almost ready to transfer what I have to MDF. Thanks for the advice!

I've (check out pics "The Body 1-4") used a jigsaw with no problem at all, as have others. If you have a band saw, or access to one, great. But a jigsaw works quite well. Just be careful, the blade can bend. You can't cut as close to the line as with a band saw.

CMA

I use a jigsaw too. But I leave a good 5 mm or so because the jigsaw blade will angle in on you when it's going through thick wood. After that, I use the router and a template bit.

Really, you need to get a router and a template bit, it's the most important tool in building guitars, I'd say. A good part of your work is actually going to be in getting your templates set. But if you mess up in making your template, it's not a big deal. And you can easily buy a template set for a strat anyway.

Next time around I plan to use a friend's bandsaw, but even then, I'll still need to tighten it up with the router/bit combo. Now, if he had a robo sander....

Second, Carvin makes great necks. Be aware that they have a wide nut and a flat board. If that's not for you, look elsewhere. If you like that, however, they're beautiful.

Yeah, I've heard nothing but excellent things about their necks, so I'm pretty excited to try one out. Plus, the ebony fretboard option available for the same price as maple and rosewood is just awesome (given that it's usually an extra option that costs more). I'm excited to try out the ebony, as well.

I've (check out pics "The Body 1-4") used a jigsaw with no problem at all, as have others. If you have a band saw, or access to one, great. But a jigsaw works quite well. Just be careful, the blade can bend. You can't cut as close to the line as with a band saw.

CMA

Thanks for that link - those pilot holes look like an excellent idea! About how long would you say it took you to cut it with the jigsaw?

Really, you need to get a router and a template bit, it's the most important tool in building guitars, I'd say. A good part of your work is actually going to be in getting your templates set. But if you mess up in making your template, it's not a big deal. And you can easily buy a template set for a strat anyway.

Next time around I plan to use a friend's bandsaw, but even then, I'll still need to tighten it up with the router/bit combo. Now, if he had a robo sander....

I've got access to a router, but I don't know if I have the right bits for the job. That's one thing that's always confused me - there are all sorts of different bits, and I'm not entirely sure which would be best to use. I was in the process of writing down the tools used in Guitarfrenzy's Strat tutorial, but the Desopolis website is down now. I also have a drill press - I've seen a few people use one to rout out the bulk of the cavities, then clean them up and finish them nicely with the router.

This is the router bit you'll need (the fat one) if you're using a plunge router. Definitely worth the price--sharpest bit I've found so far.

I prefer to use the router for the cavities too -- I use cheap straight bits and a collar guide to hog out most of it, since they cost me less than a forstner bit. Then I use the template bits to clean things up.

so ya finally took the big leap!! =] =] Yeah I'd go for making it all yourself! Most definitely you'll be so much more proud of your project once you're done with it plus the learning experience is alot of the reason for doing everything yourself. Take your time, don't do anything if you don't think it will come out like you expect! I dunno where you're located at but I have a bandsaw/belt sander/router/planer/scrollsaw etc etc all the major stuff you'd need.. if yer close O_o if not I'd gladly help you out with anything I can MINUS finishing ha that takes way too long =]

peace dude, good luck!

Thanks for that link - those pilot holes look like an excellent idea! About how long would you say it took you to cut it with the jigsaw?

I don't recall spending too much time on it. Maybe an hour at most. Most of your time is spent setting up and moving the supports around to avoid cutting them with the jigsaw.

CMA

This is the router bit you'll need (the fat one) if you're using a plunge router. Definitely worth the price--sharpest bit I've found so far.

I prefer to use the router for the cavities too -- I use cheap straight bits and a collar guide to hog out most of it, since they cost me less than a forstner bit. Then I use the template bits to clean things up.

Hey, awesome! I was actually looking at those before, so maybe I'm not half as stupid as I think I am. But probably not. Hahahah. Thanks for the link, I'll be ordering the bit as soon as my dad gets back on Thursday.

so ya finally took the big leap!! =] =] Yeah I'd go for making it all yourself! Most definitely you'll be so much more proud of your project once you're done with it plus the learning experience is alot of the reason for doing everything yourself. Take your time, don't do anything if you don't think it will come out like you expect! I dunno where you're located at but I have a bandsaw/belt sander/router/planer/scrollsaw etc etc all the major stuff you'd need.. if yer close O_o if not I'd gladly help you out with anything I can MINUS finishing ha that takes way too long =]

peace dude, good luck!

I will, man! I'm all the way out in Massachusetts, so it's a bit far off. But too many thanks for all the finishing advice and offers - it's unbelievably helpful! Expect clarifying questions from when the guitar is nearing completion, because I'll definitely want to double-check all the finishing stuff with you. Once again, thanks, and I'm excited to see your guitar reach completion as well! There's no doubt in my mind you're going to get a LOT of people asking you "where'd you get that guitar?" or "what brand is that?" if you just walk through a music store with it.

I don't recall spending too much time on it. Maybe an hour at most. Most of your time is spent setting up and moving the supports around to avoid cutting them with the jigsaw.

CMA

Alright, sounds good then! Thanks for the tips!

Here's what I have of the parts right now. I'm missing the neck, body blank, and a couple shielding and wiring kits. I'll be ordering the finishing supplies when I'm closer to that stage of the guitar. :D

5-08-Someoftheparts.jpg

Also, quick question. This is my friend's horribly mutilated (and now disassembled) MIM Strat. What on earth are those holes to the right of the middle and neck pickups? I've seen them on the American Strats, even the American Jazz Basses, too. Surely something as small as that can't serve as a kind of resonance chamber or something, right?

5-08-Whatarethoseholes.jpg

Hi guys, this is the first time I've logged on to the site in ages I guess. Anyway, I didn't realize that you couldn't see the Making of a Strat tutorial anymore. I got it in a PDF format now, and I don't mind posting a link so people can download it. That is if anyone is interested in it. Good luck on your project, and go ahead like Mickguard said, and build the whole thing, you'll be proud you did!!!

Hi guys, this is the first time I've logged on to the site in ages I guess. Anyway, I didn't realize that you couldn't see the Making of a Strat tutorial anymore. I got it in a PDF format now, and I don't mind posting a link so people can download it. That is if anyone is interested in it.

I'm in. :D

+1

I recently checked a link I had for it as I wanted to check something and couldn't bring it up, I was bummed. That'd be great if you could bring it back into circulation. J

GUITARFRENZY!!

It's like seeing God descend down in front of me - looks like I chose the right time to post this topic. Having a PDF copy of that would be so incredibly helpful, since your tutorial is excellent. Thanks, man!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody! It's been 9 weeks since I ordered them, but the stuff from Carvin is finally here! I'm going to hopefully head out to the woodshop this weekend and begin!

Some teasers:

IMG_1560s.jpg

I can't take my hands off the neck. It's just too awesome! :D

IMG_1552s.jpg

BEAUTIFUL piece of swamp ash. I can't wait to use it. I'm really happy with Carvin's work.

IMG_1551s.jpg

The thing weighs an ounce, too!

Also, quick question. This is my friend's horribly mutilated (and now disassembled) MIM Strat. What on earth are those holes to the right of the middle and neck pickups? I've seen them on the American Strats, even the American Jazz Basses, too. Surely something as small as that can't serve as a kind of resonance chamber or something, right?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/StO...ethoseholes.jpg

the general consensus is that they are CNC registration marks for their template cutting. it indicates to the machine which body style the blank is for.

I'm hoping to get started this weekend (finals week is approaching, and I've got a lot of work to do :D), and I aim to be done cutting out the body and if I'm lucky, routing the cavities as well.

Dana - thanks for that clarification! Our bass player (who is a Fender freak) was convinced that they must have been some kind of ingenious compact resonance chambers, and we all sort of stared at him blankly. Good to know!

IMG_1634s.jpg

On a note of progress, the bridge pickup arrived! It's a Dimarzio Steve's Special (DP161). I'm curious to see what it sounds like, apparently it's very mid-scooped and has little to no breakup on notes even when heavily distorted.