How do I get better tone?

sjaguar13

thanks for pointing that out Saber,yes 80-110 liter after the speaker is in there and this was refering to a closed back cab 1x12.I am only quoting what was in the book I got from Eminence on cab building,they sell these books through the speaker dealers and I think they are around the $80 area,which would explain the reason why they are not on the site anymore($$$$)

the 1960 vintage cabs have 4 30 watt vintage celestions in it...killer tone and huge bottom end.plus it has a baffling system which brings the power handling up to 280 watts.that's what i use with my mode 4.it sounds great

u really like that amp eh? i've heard it's really tight and pronouced on one channel and one of the other ones sounds just like the old plexi's, i'm really considering selling my current solid state rig and going for a mode 4 half stack.. but i duno, even if i sold everything i have now i'd barely get enough for the head...

yeah i like it.i run an eq through the effects loop to scoop it and run my zoom driver through it for the crunch into the clean channel for my main sound,and just turn the zoom off for clean ,and i have the rest of the amp set up so that at the punch of a button i can get 5 different sounds(from raging metal to van halen to b.b. king or clean blues)or i can turn the effects loop down and it cuts off the eq,then i get 5 more.plus the rverb is deeper than a fender twin reverb

i have a marshall 100 watt mg100 head with effects and an ibanez tone blaster cab. not great not bad. great price. the cab has some nice bite. mostly for punk fu**ers and power chords and what not. eh. i hate them. the crunch channel tastes great through the cab. pedals work incredibly. but with the "creamyer" pedals the sound isnt as sweet as lets say as a 69 reverb. heh. but for 700 its worth it for a live setup.

i have a marshall 100 watt mg100 head with effects and an ibanez tone blaster cab. not great not bad. great price. the cab has some nice bite. mostly for punk fu**ers and power chords and what not. eh. i hate them. the crunch channel tastes great through the cab. pedals work incredibly. but with the "creamyer" pedals the sound isnt as sweet as lets say as a 69 reverb. heh. but for 700 its worth it for a live setup.

yucky.... i have one of the first MG heads that i just use as a slave cause that thing sounds like the distorition channel was made out of some old radio parts, a metal garbage can and an blender that was found inside of it *puking smilie* might be good for punk, but i'll never know

mmmmmmm mode 4

i tried the mode 4 out at the local mega store (guitar center). i liked everything except channel 4, way too much distortion for me, too much bottom end also. i liked the 3rd channel best, but it seemed to me that the clean was too clean. i did however like the gain control, usually on marshalls you can turn all of the knobs to 10, or 5 or 1 and it still pretty much sounds the same, but the mode 4 definatly had many different tones. i still like my 5150 though.

wes is the mode 4 a hybrid? the sales guy said it has a solidstate power section, if so it doesn't affect the tone any. thats a big step in technology.

How many watts do I need? I found a 60 watt Crate Blue Voodoo. I should really go somewhere where I can play some of the amps mentioned, but the closest place is an hour away. I am planning on going soon. I like the idea of a combo amp with 1 12". It seems cheaper, lighter to carry, and I can turn it up for distortion. My band broke up. I'm doing live sound for some local bands, and if I ever got a band, I would have one of my friends who helps run our sound. I would have my amp mic'ed running through the main PA speakers. That's how all the clubs do it, too. Think the 1 12" 60 watt Blue Voodoo would work?