How do I get better tone?

sjaguar13

5150 combo, echoplex, boss dd-2 delay. alder guitar with seymore jb in the bridge.

less is more.

tones is from you, not your gear.

i like tubes and reverb, neo-classical as it gets, just ask Yngwie.

well peavey does have all those old monotoned combo amps from the 70s and 80s which didn't really sound good for anything except perhaps country(not really then either)

they only recently started catching up to the present.i still am not a fan.try the crate blue voodoo.or the carvin legacy

Start at the beginning of the tone chain and work your way thru. 'Shotgunning' the whole thing may be more than you need to do (and by isolating and testing out the different components, you'll learn a bit along the way. Shotgunning doesn't teach you anything)

First, I'd take the guitar into a store or run it thru a friend's rig that you like and make sure the guitar has a good tone to start with. Stay with the guitar until you're sure it sounds the way you want it to, no matter what rig you're going thru.

Crap tone processed and amplified = processed and amplified crap tone. :D

If you're sure the guitar isn't the source of your tonal dilemma...

Have you used your cab with a known head you like?

Have you used the head with a known good cab?

Separate these two out from each other, see what results you get, then decide which you like (if either)

Is your cab closed back? What kind of speakers are in it? If you're going for metal/classical yada yada yada, hopefully then it's a closed back.

Speakers make a WORLD of difference. To me, they make far more difference than the cab itself. What ya packin' in there?

I've never tried that head before, I have no comments on that, that one's up to you.

But, you might want to make the leap to tubed amps, that's all I use, and lots of em!

I'd like to hear the reports back from separating everything out and what you find.

...Unless, of course, you just got GAS pure and simple,...then you are new-amp bound I'm sure. B)

What about the Warhead and Cyclone....do those suck? I played through my frined's pratice amp and liked it. Also, my guitar through my teacher's amp is sweet, too. I've upgraded the pickups with a JB at the bridge thanks to Wes. I'm positive my guitar is not the problem.

The speakers came hand made from some guy I met on eBay. He used $20 speakers. It's closed back. I have used with a different head and it really sucked, that's why I got the Peavey. Never used anything I liked with it, though.

The head is a Peavey Revolution. Here's a review of it http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data...on_Head-01.html I never tried this with anything else.

The POD and MT2 pedal might also be the problem. I never liked anything I played with them. My frined's amp and my teacher's had their own distortion, so I needed need any effects of my own. Even with headphones or my Boss practice amp and the pedals, I still hate the tone.

well that pedal you have ,I also have and it sux and the preamp you are using I have but the rack mounted version and it sounds very good.I dont use a distortion pedal cause this thing has enough of it own distortion(try holding the tap button and turning up the drive this will give you more distortion on the pod),if you want huge sound you are going to pay for it.You will never get the same sound out of a pedal as an expensive rack or floor unit.

Warheads are nice but expensive and I dont think you will get a neo classical tone out of it, more the neo-thrash tone of Dimebag.

200311291442050850699064.jpg

200311292876254044658766.jpg

here are 2 pics of my rig,I can get any tone I need,but most of it comes from the pod pro.

you said that you got a handmade speaker from ebay well that could be your problem cause the box itself has to the right size and everything,its a science of its own(mesa boogie has custom made speakers from eminence, about $100 or so per speaker)

hope i could help you a bit.

you said that you got a handmade speaker from ebay well that could be your problem cause the box itself has to the right size and everything,its a science of its own(mesa boogie has custom made speakers from eminence, about $100 or so per speaker)

I remember reading on the Celestion website (before they changed it) that the speaker box dimensions were not that critical. Look at any 4x12 box (sealed ones anyway) and you'll notice that they're just big enough to hold the 4 speakers. What speakers you put in the box is more important. It's not rocket science (as compared to hi-fidelity speakers where the woofer resonant frequency and other factors are critical.). It is preferable though to use thick rigid ply-wood (3/4" is good) to avoid unwanted panel vibrations.

Can you pull the back off and give us all the information listed on the speakers?

Uhhh, hand-made speakers ain't gonna cut it I'm afraid. This might be the place to start. It sort of sounds like someone tried to recone them by themselves, again, not a good idea at all. Could be anything by what you said they said about the speakers, I'd like to know what's in there.

The only way you'd see a crappy re-cone job is to actually pull them off the board tho...

Also, are you blasting this cab w/band, or trying to play at 'residence' levels?

Maybe you could/should use a 2-10 or 2-12 closed back cab if you are using it in an enclosed space so you can pump the amp up more, but that philosophy comes more from pumping my tube amps, they gotta be to a certain point before they start dancin'...maybe that wouldn't affect your amp so much...just a thought...

PS, Yes Wes, Birch Plywood is the ****. If you look at birch and regular plywood sideways, the plys on birch are far far superior (and so is the price) to regular plywood, it's really good stuff, I've used it to re-baffle several amps so far.

But for this case, I think it's more the speakers so far...

I'd love to see a pic of the inside of that cab.

Hi Saber,

I have a book from Eminence for building different cabs and a 1x12 should have no less than 80 cubic liters and no more than 110 cubic liters after the speaker has been put in it,so ya no rocket science but a bit of math has to go into it for a halfway good sound and if you are trying to tune it.If it was so easy everybody would be making there own speaker cabs.

just save your dough, and buy a jcm900 cab. it has celestions, and it can be run 4, 8, 16 ohms, and it has casters, and it's made of birch plywood. it's also cheaper than a boogie cab. i have a 5150 combo that has a closed back 212 set up, and i run a jcm900 412 at the same time via the extension jack. i like it. plus with a separate cab, you can try any head, or pre/poweramp set up thru it, until you are happy with your tone, but if your like me you won't be satisfied long.

Hi Saber,

I have a book from Eminence for building different cabs and a 1x12 should have no less than 80 cubic liters and no more than 110 cubic liters after the speaker has been put in it,so ya no rocket science but a bit of math has to go into it for a halfway good sound and if you are trying to tune it.If it was so easy everybody would be making there own speaker cabs.

Cubic liters? With all due respect, you must mean just simply liters or cubic centimeters, because there's no such thing as a cubic liter. That's like talking about cubic quarts. 1 liter is 1000 cubic centimeters if I'm not mistaken. And were you referring to open back cabs or sealed ones? Just curious. I wish that Celestion hadn't removed that cabinet building part from their website when they revamped it. I even remember them writing that tuning a guitar speaker cabinet wasn't important like it is for Hi-fidelity speakers.

Edit: The main flaw in the argument of having a specific volume for a guitar speaker cabinet is that it would mean that you would have to dismiss any open-backed cabs because they are mathematically considered as being of infinite volume. So while you could make arguments for a minimum size, history demonstrates that there is not necessarily a maximum size for good sound.

I'm liking the idea of a small 2 12 combo instead of a head and half stack. The JCM 900 doesn't look bad. The Blue Voodoo looks pretty sweet, too. What about any Line 6 amp? I seen a band last night and that's what they used. The sound guy sucked and I couldn't hear the guitarist at all, so I don't really know what it sounds like.

Should I get rid of the POD and MT2 pedal?

keep the pod, but definitly the MT2, thought u actually liked it, cause i've known people to like the metal pickups from boss..... that and a new cab might be a good place to start tinkering around... course i really have no idea, just what i'd do first.

the 1960 vintage cabs have 4 30 watt vintage celestions in it...killer tone and huge bottom end.plus it has a baffling system which brings the power handling up to 280 watts.that's what i use with my mode 4.it sounds great

u really like that amp eh? i've heard it's really tight and pronouced on one channel and one of the other ones sounds just like the old plexi's, i'm really considering selling my current solid state rig and going for a mode 4 half stack.. but i duno, even if i sold everything i have now i'd barely get enough for the head...