Walnut Scroll 4-banger - Cm#1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its ease of application your looking for, try the wipe-on poly;

its a wipe on varnish with some poly for protection, it looks like a hand rubbed finish that comes in satin or gloss; but i just buy gloss and take the sheen off with 0000 steel wool, if you build up a thick top w/o buffing it off with wool or 2000 (on the neck) it does tend to have that tacky plastic feel.

Carousel, be careful about using Tru Oil on cedar. I think it will look great, but it will not provide much ding-protection for such a soft wood.

I know there are folks who shoot TO through sprayers, and I think this could be a good way of applying thinned TO. Birchwood-Casey also sell Tru Oil in a rattle can (which I am certain is thinner than standard TO).

• 7 months later...
why did you put a zero-fret on your guitar?

seriously, this thing is beautiful beyond comprehension, but that one little feature, that one little mistake, does not do justice to this instrument.

maybe if you want to discuss the pro's and cons of zero frets maybe it would be wise to start a discussion on it (or search for an existing one) rather than insult others work!

welcome to the forum!

i am not insulting this piece. i know my statements might come off as such, but i am not insulting this piece.

thats the difficult thing with forums, we only really have your written statements to let us know what you think. I think the word 'mistake' may be an overly emotive way of describing somebody's personal design choice.

I can take or leave zero frets, i dont generally make guitars with them but i do own a couple. i certainly dont view them as bad