Need Your Opinions On Inexpensive Guitars

rrobbone

You don't mention what amp you're going to use -- that's equally as important as what guitar you choose.

If not more important. When I was testing my Line 6 in the store (before I bought it :D ), I tried ALL guitars (well...almost) and the expensive guitars sounded awesome, and the el-cheapos sounded awesome too. Plug the same good guitar in my old amp, and it's mediocre at best.

I'm bigtime guilty of overlooking this, too. I use primarily modeled amps on the Line 6 TonePort (no way to crank up the Garnet 50W I inherited, and it needs servicing besides) so I always semi-forget the importance of a proper amp. Some day I might even own one. :D I only have the Marshall MG30 for a practice amp, and I loathe it more than words can possibly express. Worst. Amp. Ever.

I'm bigtime guilty of overlooking this, too. I use primarily modeled amps on the Line 6 TonePort (no way to crank up the Garnet 50W I inherited, and it needs servicing besides) so I always semi-forget the importance of a proper amp. Some day I might even own one. :D I only have the Marshall MG30 for a practice amp, and I loathe it more than words can possibly express. Worst. Amp. Ever.

Well that must depend on what style of music you are playing then. i use it for Thrash metal, and it couldnt sound better. just as good as any other amp out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_sqDgkbsCQ

it couldnt sound better. just as good as any other amp out there.

It "could" absolutely sound better. :D The distortion is very artificial sounding, and there's a constant... er... don't even know how to describe it... "overtone" that's a product of the distortion circuit which I just loathe.

Perhaps "worst. amp. ever" was an exaggeration, but let's face it, it's a $2xx.00 amp. It's not a great amp.

I feel for you,Greg...I had an MG before I upgraded to the Mode 4...I thought I was in heaven then,until I set up my powerball...now I really know the difference an amp can make.

Greg...A huge rackspace eq can make that amp sound almost passable...Can't do much for the horrible gain though.

Killemall...I play thrash as well as some heavier stuff...and all I can tell you is if you ever get a nice tube amp(like an engl or similar),you will never go back

Ironically, now that I'm moving into a house and could theoretically make a bit more noise, I won't have the money to buy an amp. Maybe I should at least get the Garnet serviced. ;-)

To me, single coil pickups not only sound better, but are more versatile in their tone combinations than humbuckers. This is especially true of low impedence (6k or lower) 'vintage' singles. As another poster pointed out, it's hard to get authentic single coil sounds from a humbucker. While the opposite could certainly be stated, it does seem like one can get closer to the sounds of humbucking pickups by rewiring singles (to get series combinations) than the other way around. I guess what I'm saying is that, since you've admitted that you don't necessarily need a bunch of axes, you could choose one that would get the most sounds...right?

My recommendation would be start with a Grizzly strat style kit and rewire it. Mine came with amazingly vintage sounding pickups (alnico 5 low impedence), alder bod, rock maple neck with indian rosewood FB, bent steel saddles... the whole shmazool for around a buck fiddy.

I moved the middle PU down by the bridge so that they're side by side and wired up as a 'slantbucker'. I changed the 5 position switch for a 20 pole mega switch, added an on/on/on DPDT mini toggle to switch the slantbucker to; parallel, series and single for a total of 13 possible combinations. With the two coils of the slantbucker in series, the sound is still 'strat-ish' but decidedly louder, fatter and with cojones. With the slantbucker in series with the neck single, the impedence is in the 15k range and amps complain nicely. Put this axe in the hands of a shredder and you'll have to pry it out.