A Guitar Is Born

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

i finally realised what that headstock veneer technique reminded me of.

dop.jpg

mostly because of the curve of the veneer near the nut but the shape isnt too far removed either - i use a similar shape i borrowed from my teisco bass!

i think metalhead is right - that horn would be more practical if it left more room for access

i think metalhead is right - that horn would be more practical if it left more room for access

:D I picked it up and i have a plan B (which i learned is a good thing to have when building a guitar) ... i really like it though and I hope that the right cut-away options will minimize restrictions.

Now.... can you match the exposed-veneer-line technique you have on the headstock, with the bottom horn? Realyl round over and sculpt back the edge to get the white line of the body wood to show when looking flat at the body? That would seriously tie the whole design together.

MAN this is getting better and better.

Now.... can you match the exposed-veneer-line technique you have on the headstock, with the bottom horn? Realyl round over and sculpt back the edge to get the white line of the body wood to show when looking flat at the body? That would seriously tie the whole design together.

Looks like he did that already.

blinkknot, this is a really great build. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

MAN this is getting better and better.

thats what i have in mind, my arm just gets a bit numb after 3 or so hours of sanding... hopefully this weekend ill be able to get alder to show.

thats what i have in mind, my arm just gets a bit numb after 3 or so hours of sanding... hopefully this weekend ill be able to get alder to show.

For serious body carving, get a rasp or a spokeshave. It'll take you a few minutes to rough out a carve.

About fret access... I would leave that lower horn alone. You can always build another guitar with a perfect cutaway and 24 frets if that's what you need. This design is so good aesthetically, I would let that impracticality slip. This isn't the last guitar that will be built in the world. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dude... :D That control cavity is HUGE! Sorry if I missed it, but are you using active pups? That would explain the massive cavity - battery space. Otherwise, what's the deal?

Spot on. EMG 60 and 81. Another reason is that this is my first build and im planning on wiring it myself and i dont want to work in small cramped space.

• 5 weeks later...

I saw the rough outline at the start of this thread and thought, what the &*#!, but viewing the finished product you turned my impression 180 and you are really bringing this project home. Great shape, lovely finish and the three knots in the walnut top look so beautifull and unique.