Seven String Strat Deconstruction / Reconstruction

I have had a vision in my head of a 7 string version of the SRV battered Stratocaster & have set on a project of first acquiring a Squier 7 string Strat .Then basically rebuilding it from the ground up trying to capture a vintage Fender vibe along the way with some thrown in pluses .

cde1_1.JPG

d1c6_1.JPG

notice a big plus is the quartersawn neck :yesway:

c660_1.JPG

The guitar was a ebay find at 132.00 & was in mint condition original build date was june 2000

The guitar sounded great stock in the humbucking position & has very long sustaining charactistics

The guitar seemed to have trouble staying in fine tune which on disassembly I found out was due to the loose tuners .Which had much play & lightly installed

I have stripped the body to find very pleasant wood underneath . It has the appearance of Alder & has a yellow orange hue to it. The body is well matched 3 piece construction & would be suitable for a translucent finish. The only problem I see is the large routes for hum buckers & the body has much weight to it similar to Maple. I have decided what the hell go with a whole new body. I purchased A very nice one piece Alder guitar body blank. Blank measures 2" x 13 1/2" x 21". Blank is kiln dried, surfaced and ready to use. Very light weight at 9.2 lbs! On ebay for 72.00

2668313603_418f3d807e_o.jpg

ca07_1.JPG

I plan on upgrading the logo as well all the parts to Fender parts

Stratocaster70-76.jpg

Not sure if I should go with a Gold lettering or the black lettering with gold outline ??

The Neck : along with a vintage nitro finish I plan on changing the dot inlays more to the vintage clay dots & a refret to larger frets.

Not sure if I should change the fingerboard radius ? What is some of your opinions ?

"I plan on upgrading the logo as well all the parts to Fender parts"

...but it'll still be a Squier guitar..... :D I feel that putting a nice new Fender sticker is almost like false advertising. Why not just give the sticker the same wear and tear as the rest of the body?

I think your fine putting the logo on the Squire as long as your not making a business out of it and cranking out fake Fenders to customers. If your just doing this for your personal preference then its fine. And if you decide to sell it down the road, just let the person know its history.

PS. I didnt even know Squire made 7's. Cool. $132 isnt shabby either. :D

Legal or not legal (which it isn't), it's also a question of morals....

The excuse "but it's only for myself" is pure BS.

Since you know that it's not a Fender, then why bother putting a Fender logo on there?

Simply to show off to others that it's something it's not...

I've seen countless threads about adding logo decals on this and other guitar websites. I've just got to ask the folks here, what about the other way around -- big company puts their logo on a guitar that is not their product, for a celebrity to sell their brand. For example, Jake E. Lee's white "Charvel" was a Fender with a Charvell logo in order to go with his real Charvels from his endorsement.

I've seen countless threads about adding logo decals on this and other guitar websites. I've just got to ask the folks here, what about the other way around -- big company puts their logo on a guitar that is not their product, for a celebrity to sell their brand. For example, Jake E. Lee's white "Charvel" was a Fender with a Charvell logo in order to go with his real Charvels from his endorsement.

Same thing with Slash's les paul not actually being a Gibson. I would say its a different situation, at least with slash, not sure if the jake e lee one would apply. For slash's it was a ghost builder who was paid to put the gibson logo on the guitar, so that, while being somewhat unethical, would be legally fine.

i think JEL's room mate did enough to that 74 strat to make it a charvel. new finish, all new hardware, new headstock shape and probably loads of other stuff besides... putting the charvel logo on it after all that is only really the same as someone here using there own logo on pre-made parts

probably no-one would even realise if they hadnt left the 3 bolt neck plate on... clearly they were not trying to fool anyone

Modify guitar, add logo -- that is trying to fool Jake's fans.

i thought all his fans knew it was a charvel modified fender, certainly any that might be in the market for a JEL guitar know the difference. my point is that charvel did at least have a hand in that guitars creation before they added their own logo!

i dont see it as the same as putting a fender logo onto a guitar thats never seen the fender factory

nor would i have a problem if the OP put his own logo onto the squire after he has modified the guitar.

look at the little les paul in the WIP section for an idea how to get the right look without this issue being raised

Back when I first saw Jake with that guitar (way before the internet), I, along with other young guitarists, assumed it was a Charvel. Charvel accomplished what they intended -- I thought Jake's playing was cool and his guitar was cool, therefore I wanted to buy a Charvel, not a modified 74 Strat. The point is, everyone is down on individuals using logos that did not come on parts, but no one seems to have any problem with the companies doing the same thing.

my point is that charvel did at least have a hand in that guitars creation before they added their own logo!

i'm not sure about the other guitars you mentioned so i didnt comment on them, if the ESP never saw the ESP workshops then i definately disagree with it having the logo on it.

as for the whole ghost builder thing, its a grey area for me.. i know if gibson asked me to make a guitar for slash then i could just consider myself an employee of gibson whilst working on that guitar, we would all be making money from it and my employer could put their logo on the headstock. my issue with the situation is that gibson sell 'signiture' models that are not actually played by the artist

The guitar George Lynch has that is skull and bones was made by a luthier that goes by J.Frog. When Lynch became an ESP client, "J.Frog" on the headstock became "ESP", but ESP did no other work on the guitar.

I don't like the ghost builder ideas or a lot of the "celebrity model" guitars, because what you can actually buy is nowhere near as well made as what is actually in the artist's hands.

I just wish companies applied one standard, but they won't because they just care about the bottom line. Both "lawsuit" LP's and Slash's LP are legal violations, Gibson cared about "lawsuit" models because bought them and therefore fewer Gibsons. Gibson didn't care about Slash's fake because fans thought it was a Gibson, and GnR's sucess sold a ton of real LP's.

I am not positive, but I am pretty sure that when it comes to endorsed guitarists, they do what the endorer says and that is it. I know that Criss Oliva of Savatage played an ESP that had the headstock reshaped and a Charvel logo put on when he signed with them. My understanding is he was pretty much told either his guitars said Charvel or they wouldn't sign him. Is it false advertising, yes. The reason ESP would let something like that slide is because ESP would do the same thing to someone with a Jackson guitar. So Fender wouldn't care when JEL played a Fender with Charvel logo, because they would do the same thing right back to Charvel.

True, big companies overlook each others infringements since they turn around and do the same thing. However, this means little guys like J.Frog get screwed here, since he doesn't have endorsement deals.

Back to the OP, how does labeling a Squier a Fender harm Fender? If he doesn't sell it or play out, no one will even see it. If he plays some gigs, becomes a local hero, etc. -- his fans will see "Fender" on the headstock and want a guitar like his -- so they will go buy real Fenders.

if he is replacing all the parts other than the body and neck with authentic fender parts then it will become harder to destinguish that its not a real fender without taking it apart. thats makes it easy to rip someone off by charging a fender price for an upgraded squire... its essentially a counterfeit guitar, maybe not a serious case of couterfeiting since i presume this is a one off and not a large operation :D

True, big companies overlook each others infringements since they turn around and do the same thing. However, this means little guys like J.Frog get screwed here, since he doesn't have endorsement deals.

Back to the OP, how does labeling a Squier a Fender harm Fender? If he doesn't sell it or play out, no one will even see it. If he plays some gigs, becomes a local hero, etc. -- his fans will see "Fender" on the headstock and want a guitar like his -- so they will go buy real Fenders.

True my intentions is for my personal use & it also is going to be a reliced vintage SRV vibe version. If anything it would help create interest in Fender persuing bringing the 7 string back.Also this is being developed from a Fender product not a total scratch build.

True my intentions is for my personal use & it also is going to be a reliced vintage SRV vibe version. If anything it would help create interest in Fender persuing bringing the 7 string back.Also this is being developed from a Fender product not a total scratch build.

original body stripped

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

ofcourse what you should have done is just heavy relic the original body as it was thus creating your own interpretation!

I don't care what you do as to the logo. But why put in all the work just to say its a fender when you are done it won't be a fender it won't be squire it will your own guitar be proud of what you do slam your name all over it!

"my flick o flasho ocaster" sounds alot better than "my squire i totally changed and then stuck a fender logo on it caster"

I just doodled you user name in fender style it looks pretty cool! and you get double F most men would kill for that!

Edited by joshvegas

• 3 years later...