Re: Guitar Of The Month August

Hey all,

Just want to say a large THANK YOU to everyone who gave me a vote in this months comp!

This was my first build, and my first entry to GOTM.

I would've been thrilled to have gotten a single vote, so to get 7 was simply incredible!! :D

pukko's guitar was a worthy winner, and I would have voted for it myself as well. (Out of fairness I cast a null vote)

I'm so impressed with the variety and standard of all the guitars there. I'd be proud to have any of them!

A great experience, and I'll certainly be back! (And I'll make better use of the "only post 4 photos" rule too! :D )

I loved the way that some members (avengers63, wezV and others) gave a detailed reaction to each guitar.

I think that should be encouraged. They pointed out things I hadn't previously noticed, in some cases. Very worthwhile info IMHO.

DJ

Hey DJ, yours was well worth every vote it got, as well as a few it didn't.

It's really tough to compete with the clear finished quilted/sunbursted/exotic guitars that win nearly every month. I just looked through the GOTM archives. (side note: there isn't a link to the 2008 archive on the home page) From August 2005 through the end of 2007, only 3 GOTM winners were painted a solid color. I don't remember any in 08, but w/o the archive, I can't verify. 3 out of 32 were either natural, bursted, or stained quilt/flame.

Thaing THAT into account... I think you made a great showing for yourself. Like I said, were it not for pukko, I'd have voted for you.

Sometimes its nice to see a clean nonfancy wood/paint effect guitar in a classic style. It stood out for because of this!

Like you say I would have walked away with most of them but it got my vote. :D

I loved the way that some members (avengers63, wezV and others) gave a detailed reaction to each guitar.

I think that should be encouraged. They pointed out things I hadn't previously noticed, in some cases. Very worthwhile info IMHO.

it seems to be the point of GOTM to me. I suppose its my teacher side that tries to find something good and bad about each one but i started doing the detailed thing for each one because its really what i wanted when i entered

It's kinda the same for me. If I enter something into any given contest, I'm hungry for what's going through the judges minds. Generally speaking, ANY constructive criticism is a good thing and should be welcomed with open arms. I know I want as much as possible. Fresh ideas or different perspectives will only serve to help me. Since that's what I want from folks, I try to give it whenever I can.

it seems to be the point of GOTM to me. I suppose its my teacher side that tries to find something good and bad about each one but i started doing the detailed thing for each one because its really what i wanted when i entered

It's kinda the same for me. If I enter something into any given contest, I'm hungry for what's going through the judges minds. Generally speaking, ANY constructive criticism is a good thing and should be welcomed with open arms. I know I want as much as possible. Fresh ideas or different perspectives will only serve to help me. Since that's what I want from folks, I try to give it whenever I can.

Amen to all that, bruthas!

DJ

I work in call center quality so giving feedback on the plus and deltas are normal for me. I always try to pick out points of interest for me. I'd also like to thank those who threw a vote myway. The winner this month...excellent guitar bro! I'd buy it!

Yeah, there were things I liked about all the entries, even though they were diverse guitars!

May as well have a wee run-thru myself:

scottyd: finish and wood choices are awesome! The covered pickups look very sleek. I'm not a fan of the large upper half, but maybe it needs it to balance the design??

Canuck Brian: well, it's a big ol' bad-ass seven! Yeah! Love that nut, never seen that before. EMG's rule my world, that's for sure! Whole design kinda reminds me of the Dave Weiner Ibanez 7 string. (Maybe cos of the large inlay??) Loved it the second I saw it.

zyonsdream: (are your photos down now??) loved the mixing of styles, v.cool for a Tele (not normally a Tele man as such)

[can't really comment on my own entry ;) ]

RFR: reminds me of a Westone from waaay back, and that's a GOOD thing! That top is beautifully done and finished so nicely, it really suits the colour too! I'd really want to hear this one! Not normally sold on double cutaways like that, however I do like this one.

eveguitars: very much my kinda axe! Pointy! EMG's! METAL! :D Loving the wood choice! Design reminds me of the ESP George Lynch one, the baritone, can't remember the model name. Very clean execution of the hardware etc. I could easily have voted for this one.

pukko: wow, where to start??!! TBH, my heart kinda sank when I saw this one entered! :D ("Doomed, we're all doomed!")So many nice touches: the matching truss rod cover, the pickup selector knob, the pickup rings, the jack plate, the flame, the way the volute wraps the tuners, the inlay front n back. Not sold on the lower cutaway I have to say if I'm honest. I also would have not chosen that particular bridge as my first choice. But really nice headstock design - thought I'd seen all the nice 3+3's I was gonna by now! The binding really sets it all off so well. Worthy winner, no mistake.

jjucius: better quality photos would have helped I'm sure! Anyway, looks like a beautiful maple neck. The colour of the hardware really suits the colours of the woods. Top looks a little "sided" from the photos, maybe it's not really?? Like the stripe through the ash body visible on the rear.

Just some thoughts!

DJ

Wow, a big thank you to all that voted for me and for all the nice words! I’ve been out of town with no computer available, so I had to follow the voting via my cell phone. Ssssloooowww connection, therefore no previous comments from me, better late than never… Some really stiff competition this month, and it’s wonderful to see all the different styles of instruments on display. I also cast a null vote just because I was in the competition, if I hadn’t been I would’ve had big problems choosing which one to vote for!

scottyd: Really really beautiful work, both workmanship and choice of woods! I was actually thinking about having the back on my build satin finished too to match up with the oiled neck. How did you do that? There are no edges on your body to give a natural border between gloss and satin, but on your bass it looks great anyway!

Canuck Brian: The zebrawood top is really nice as well as the padauk neck, but I don’t really think their colours go together that well. A black headstock would have been my choice, maybe an ebony veneer? The padauk and mahogany on the back match up much better to me. And what is that inlay/nut material? Looks really cool!

zyonsdream: I found the pics on your website, I can’t see the ones in the GOTM thread. You write that you set out to make something wild that really meshed well with the board. I would probably have done the opposite to highlight that wild grain. The front looks a little to busy to me, different shades of red/brown competing with instead of complementing each other. All the woods are beautiful, it’s the combinations I don’t like.The back is much cleaner in that respect, I love the padauk/limba combination there. The non recessed covers look a little rushed…

djhollowman: This one is great, I love everything about it! A really clean look, that Jaguar colour is really classy looking. The headstock has grown on me, I didn’t like it that much at first but I’m starting to now. Can’t say much more about your guitar than: I want it!

RFR: Another classy looking guitar! It reminds me a lot of my dad’s Ibanez Artist, which is basically the same carve top LP to DC shape. You’ve managed to take a classic design and make it look modern but still retaining the classic feel. Does that make any sense? Beautiful work! Just one thing to complain about: More pictures please! Would love to see more details, headstock shape, back side etc.

eveguitars: The shape is not my cup of tea at all, I just don’t like when there are all those pointy bits (yours isn’t as pointy as an ESP though…) on what is basically an ordinary modern doublecut shape. I totally like the V’s, Explorers, Deans, BC Riches etc, but this one kind of gets stuck in no man’s land between classic and radical. That said, I would love to play it just to feel that incredibly smooth looking finish. Beautiful workmanship and woods too!

pukko: Pretty half decent looking guitar, but can you play it? Nah, didn’t think so…

jjucius: I’d really like to see clearer pics of this one as well as of the back of the neck. That maple looks great! Also, some more info on hardware/pickups/finish would be nice. I’m not very often a fan of gold hardware (black LP Customs are the exception) but it works well on your guitar. As previously pointed out, that neck pocket looks a little strange. What is the string anchor on the back, almost looks like a tremolo block or something?

i am glad every one is joining in on the critique thing and i am really glad so many of the entries seemed to have cast null votes... you wouldnt believe the amount of hassle i have had in the past for saying winning wasnt important and sportsmanship was!!!

i make a point of voting for someone else when i enter, the same as i would in any competition

but why would i do that if i want to win??? thats the question i have been asked before and the simple answer is that taking part and receiveing good feedback is always more important!!

I actually stopped making comments on why I had voted the way I had. Got a couple of flames for having an opinion.

I agree though, when I get the chance to enter I want to get feedback on what people like and loath about my work. It will obviously help with future builds.

and naturally as a brit you feel it would be bad form to actually win!

"Welcome to England - winners of the 1963 world cup"!

I actually stopped making comments on why I had voted the way I had. Got a couple of flames for having an opinion.

If you have an opinion which is useful to share (some aren't, of course) then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to feel you can't add it to the discussion. These people obviously feel that their opinion is such much more important than yours, when in fact their is less important due to it being pushed I guess.

Edited by Prostheta

Aahhh yes, the classic 1963 World Cup final....England [ ukfg ]v. Austria [ :auss ]wasn't it? Yeah, yeah, and that George Hurst fella scored 5 goals didn't he? I remember! And who could forget that famous commentary from Kevin Wolstenholme: "some people are on the field....they think it might all be done soon....oh it is....righty-ho then"

Still, as a Scot I like to look back and reminisce over Scotlands many great sporting moments as well, for example.....um.....well, there was that time......erm......what about that guy who, oh no............eh.......aye, and we won that thingy for.......... :D

[Curling!!! I knew there was something!]

Anyway, back OT:

I agree with you, you newly-appointed Moderator that you are! [Nice new avatar BTW! Suits you sir]["ooooh!"] B)

I think it's an awful shame to feel that you can't put a sensible opinion here for fear of being flamed! :D

DJ

cycling you tube!

Graeme Obree was so ground breakingly brilliant that they had to ban his non conventional cycling style twice because he won everything!

and three of the best racing drivers of all time Colin Mcrae Jim Clarke and Jackie Stewart.

Edited by joshvegas

Aahhh yes, the classic 1963 World Cup final....England [ ukfg ]v. Austria [ :auss ]wasn't it? Yeah, yeah, and that George Hurst fella scored 5 goals didn't he? I remember! And who could forget that famous commentary from Kevin Wolstenholme: "some people are on the field....they think it might all be done soon....oh it is....righty-ho then"

Still, as a Scot I like to look back and reminisce over Scotlands many great sporting moments as well, for example.....um.....well, there was that time......erm......what about that guy who, oh no............eh.......aye, and we won that thingy for.......... :D

[Curling!!! I knew there was something!]

Anyway, back OT:

I agree with you, you newly-appointed Moderator that you are! [Nice new avatar BTW! Suits you sir]["ooooh!"] B)

I think it's an awful shame to feel that you can't put a sensible opinion here for fear of being flamed! :D

DJ

I didn't realise Australia had a football team....IIRC, Finland win more curling and GOTM titles than Scotland ;-)

Edited by Prostheta

If you have an opinion which is useful to share (some aren't, of course) then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to feel you can't add it to the discussion. These people obviously feel that their opinion is such much more important than yours, when in fact their is less important due to it being pushed I guess.

i dont think we have had as much of that stuff recently, seems to be a lot less flaming going on around here

cycling you tube!

Graeme Obree was so ground breakingly brilliant that they had to ban his non conventional cycling style twice because he won everything!

and three of the best racing drivers of all time Colin Mcrae Jim Clarke and Jackie Stewart.

Aw man, I was hoping you were getting the joke bro'! :D

Yeah, I used to be such a F1 fan back in the day. Sir JYS was my big hero. Was there when Coulthard so nearly won his first GP at Silverstone in '95! That was the big year for McRae too! I was genuinely upset when he was killed, he was such an inspirational guy. Jim Clark winning Indy at his first attempt: class.

2 things have dulled my interest in the sport recently: having kids (have so many better things to on a Sunday afternoon!), and the lack of proper racing!

Still, I'm well-impressed by young Mr. Hamilton!

DJ