Banana Bass

Just finished my latest build, the "Banana" bass. Not quite as "pointy" as some of my other designs, but still unique (as far as I know, anyway).

Specs:

4-string lined fretless

set-neck

11-piece laminated neck: maple center, African mahogany, black walnut, Honduras mahogany, yellow-dyed birch veneer

accent stripes

cocobolo fingerboard with 26 yellow-dyed birch veneer position markers; canarywood "banana" inlay at 12th position

and nameplate at 24th

top: mostly African mahogany, except upper horn (mineral-streaked poplar); canarywood FK "spider" logo and accent

inlays

back: reverse of front; canarywood "banana" plate at neckjoint; cover plate- Honduras mahogany

headstock: Honduras mahogany wings with poplar veneer top

hand-rubbed satin poly finish

perforated aluminum nut (hand-made)

EMG J-bass pickups

EMG 18-volt 2-band BTC system eq (and I plan to replace the stock black knobs with chrome)

Gotoh bridge and tuners

Nutrik locking jack

Dunlop strap locks

DR "Mellow Yellow" strings

Haven't played it on the full Ampeg rig yet, but on the practice amp it sounds very woody, but with the EMG aggressive edge- just what I was hoping for!

(Sorry about the quality of the pix, I'm not the greatest photographer! :D )

bananabassfront.jpg

bananabassrear.jpg

bananabassbodyfront.jpg

bananabassbodyrear.jpg

I'm not too big on the shape...but you seem to have your own style, and that's cool. :D But, I LOVE the details! The wood choices are beautiful, and I like the use of the different wood inlays throughout the body and the neck transition. Great job! :D

That is wild and very interesting. For example the upper horn area, the whole area is in reverse of the body, top wood on bottom, bottom wood on top. Very neat and amazing how clean it was done. So cool. If you look at it sideways it looks like an elephants head with two tusks grabbing a banana with its trunk. How wild is that. I love that bass, just because its so unique, plus how intricate it is. Very cool stuff. Congrats on a wicked build. Jason

Thanks for the comments everyone! I appreciate the feedback. I was experimenting tonight with the tonal possibilities, and it really has a very wide range of timbres, from a low growling boom to a full-bodied nasal drone, and that's just with the practice amp. I'm REALLY happy with the sound and the way it plays, and I'm dying to plug it in to my regular rig! I'll try to record a few sound samples in the next couple of days and either post them somewhere or have them available for email.

I recorded a few minutes of me doodling on the bass. It's not a great recording, but I just wanted to demonstrate some of the variety of sounds it gets. I don't see anywhere that this forum allows mp3 uploads, but if anyone wants to hear the clip, email me (see link below) with your regular email address and I can send it to you.

My Email