My First Bass Build

This is my first in progress post, so hopefully I don't bore you all with the details. I did a couple guitars 7 years ago or so and am having to relearn some things, but this build is a four string with the body of alder, walnut and flame maple. The maple is a cap over the alder as can be seen. The body is not the most exciting shape, but is much better than the body that this will be replacing. The neck is from a cheap bolt on and I put some ears and a face plate and backstrap on the headstock so that the headstock doesn't looke like the lame pointy thing it was. Well, enough of my yapping, here are some pictures.

DSCN0027.JPG

and the new headstock

DSCN0062.JPG

Go ahead and let me know what you think. I figured that since I have gotten a lot of good info from this place, I may as well show what I am doing. I haven't routed the pickup or control cavities yet (kind of slow going using an offsite shop). I am waiting to route the pickup cavities until I get the pickups and I can't get the pickups until I get the money. Anyway, it's coming along. Thanks in advance for any input.

• 1 month later...

It has been a long time since I posted anything here, but that is because between graduate school, a one-year old and work, the builds get put on the back burner. Since I last posted, I have all my routing and sanding and carving done and the Tru-oil is curing. The roundover on the top is all hand carved with carving chisels. I like the look and feel of it much better than a router bit, but maybe that is because I just haven't found the right router bit. The logo on the headstock is a personal design. The only disappointing thing about it is that I didn't seal the wood underneath, so the gold paint got sucked into the walnut grain. I guess it just serves to give it a little more "vintage" look. The gouge you see near the bridge mounting holes is a little tearout from when i was drilling the hole to the control cavity for the string ground and for the piezo pickup leads.

Anyway, here are the pictures. Let me know what you guys think. Hardware is gold, jack plate is walnut and control cavity plate is alder.

DSCN0103.JPG

DSCN0116.JPG

Alright, I have finally finished this one. The finish didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted, but it was my first time and you live and you learn. The pictures aren't the greatest. I wish I had one of those nice cameras, or at least some decent lighting around this place. It plays great, though the action is ever so slightly higher than I would prefer (the bridge is already at it's lowest setting, so I would need to shim the neck pocket). The sounds are amazing, blending the p pickup with the piezo gives an amazingly punchy sound that fits a lot of what I like to play. This was a fun project. Next up, converting the first guitar I built into a sustainer...

DSCN0147.JPG

DSCN0143.JPG

DSCN0145.JPG

DSCN0138.JPG

Let me know what you think.

Thanks for the support. I am not sure how long the next projects will come along, seeing as how grad school, a wife, a one year old and another on the way can tend to distract you. But I have one in the works that should be done in another couple weeks I hope.