Short Scale Guitar

Hi!

Just wanted to share the project i started the weekend, its a 19.7" scale guitar for my 4yr old son (one wasn't enough for him :D ).

Borrowed some design elements from METAL MATT :D

ellioth.jpg

Anyone knows where to buy necks in this scale and other small parts?

//Martin

Edited by -martin-

I've decided to try to make my own neck for once :D

Going for a carbon fiber rod, seems simple.

Forgot to mention the woods in the body. the middle part is rosewood(jacaranda) and the outerparts is scrap wood i found lying around. Probably Spruce.

the neck will be maple with a rosewood fingerboard (maybe skull inlays or something like that).

Edited by -martin-

For a truss rod, I used some threaded rod from the hardware store. Cost a couple of bucks. Works like a champ.

I put three nuts on the one end, and torc'd them against each other to lock them in place. Then 5 minuted epoxy'd them in the channel. The other end has a washer and nut.

Carbon fiber will cetainly give you rigidity, but you could add a truss rod fo two or three bucks just to be on the safe side.

Oh, I just ran it into the pickup cavity. You have to remove the neck pickup to adjust it. Take a minute or two but I can get a wrench on it.

I did the truss rod because the neck is pretty thin. I wanted to be able to pull it back if the strings put too much force on it. I don't know if the shoter neck means you need more or less tension to put the strings at standard pitch, but I didn't want to take any chances.

-John

• 4 months later...

Ahh, so you were planning to paint it. I didn't realize that. Looks good.

I'd go with the inline headstock but cut a curve from just past the high e tuner to the point next to the tip. Sort of a scalpel look. My kids bang the headstock into everything (including my guitar) so I think that'd be safer and still look really cool. I used a non adjustable steel truss rod in my son's short scale, but the string tension is so low, a carbon fiber rod would probably have worked fine.

Looking forward to seeing more progress pics

I think the left hand head would work better. But both look like they would be capable of impaling someone. If you don't want to buy a carbon fiber fixed truss rod then you could get a half inch square steel bar and use that instead. It should be easier to work and the dust wont be as bad for you. Just an opinion.