Fretboard Suggestion For New Project

ok,

this project is probably still over a month away, but i want to be ready.

here is the plot

i am going to make a Rhoads V body, regular ESP headstock, alder or poplar body, maple neck,

paint scheme: Jackson Crimson swirl all the way around (set neck, swirl on neck also) all black hardware (floyd equipped)

black knobs with red pearl tops to match

and here is where i cant get a good match. i want to use black mop zig zag sharkfin inlays, but i cant figure out what to use for the fretboard. anything dark wouldnt look good with the inlays. i could change the inlays to pink mop, but im not sure.

i am open to all suggestions regarding the fretboard/ inlays.

I think black MOP can still look good on dark rosewoods, but I'd probably avoid ebony if you want the inlay to really stand out. My favorite fingerboard feel to play on is bloodwood, and that could look nice with black MOP.

Ooops - I just looked up a Jackson Crimson swirl, and it's not what I'm imagining at all - a reddish fingerboard wood might look a little weird with that - too much red. I can see how a pinkish MOP might be kind of clashing with that sort of red as well.

I'd go for something like a lighter coloured rosewood or Pau ferro - it all depends on the piece you get. ziricote could look good too.

i love bloodwood also

i think that would be my best bet.

but then again, that black mop sharkfin set is pretty expensive. i can get the pink mop set for 12 bucks shipped off ebay

or i could get the regular mop and use a different fretobard wood too.

but i hate indian rosewood with a passion.

I would suggest either bloodwood, paduak or pau ferro. I think they would go well with the crimson color scheme. I know paduak can be a little hard to come by and can darken over time, but it is a great wood and I love working with it. Another fun option is koa. I used that on a fretboard and absolutely loved it. The oils in it really make it look great.

Edited by Ripthorn

Alder is $3.50 a bf...that means your body would cost you $2 more to go with alder...

Poplar is not harder than alder....at least not to any significant degree.But if you want your guitar to be lifeless...

Every single guitar I have ever had from poplar was inferior to every single guitar I have had from alder...

If you are looking for alder, you can look at woodworkerssource.com. They are phoenix based and have no minimum order. Shipping is also very reasonable, so you could get enough for a single guitar for pretty cheap. That is where I got my alder for this current build. Great looking stuff. That way you aren't buying 18 bd ft of whichever you go for.

If your still looking for a fretboard check our www.ormsby.com they have a few there.

What colours the rest of the guitar going to be? I'd try looking for something similar in colour to the guitar...

not being rude or anything,

but did you even read my initial post? i gave exact details on the whole guitar including colors hardware color and stuff.

it seems you just post random stuff on any thread sometimes.

and my question was what kind should i use, not where can i get it. i have many options, i just need to decide.

not being rude or anything,

but did you even read my initial post? i gave exact details on the whole guitar including colors hardware color and stuff.

it seems you just post random stuff on any thread sometimes.

and my question was what kind should i use, not where can i get it. i have many options, i just need to decide.

Oh yeah sorry.... :D

I dont know to much wood species unfortunatly :D But with the crimson swirl a reddish wood or ebony would look nice for the fretboard although the inlays wont stand out. A maple fretboard would make the black inlays stand out but the maple wont go to well with the body colour... Maybe if you use the pink mop inlays on a ebony or reddish wood fretboard. I think pink mop inlays would look nice on a red fretboard but maybe not with the body colour?

Good luck anyway B)

that would be cool, but i would for sure screw that up.

Well, you know what they say, you miss 100% of the shots you never take.

(I'm ribbing on you, here, sorry - painted boards can be cool, but I'm not sure it's the thing for the build you're describing.)

I've seen reconsituted stone like this used as inlay before (in fact, I just used some turqoise material of a similar type for some fretboard dots) I think using something like this could open up more possibilities to go with the finish you've described. Might be worth looking into. I know you can this material or similar one eBay as well. It cuts fairly easily and polishes up pretty nice.

I'm thinking some of the red shone in the knife handles on that website might look pretty keen on an ebony board with the finish you're talking about, although maybe that's too much red and black going on.

That's just the first site that showed up, I know I ordered from a different one in the past for a project I was working on.