Where Can I Buy Parts For My Bandsaw

Cam

ok..

When you open up your bandsaw to replace the blade there are those rubber bands which go around the wheels on which the blade runs on, where can i buy these? Mine hasn't been used for a while so they have all fallen apart. I live in AUS, does anyone know where I can purchase these?

Thanks

Hello,

a friend of mine had the same problem and he had to make those parts himself as he could not find a suitable replacement (they seem to work!)

I live in Spain and we also have a hard time when we need some items like this. I know Woodcraft has many options but they don't ship internationally (outside the US). Good luck anyway!

Hello,

a friend of mine had the same problem and he had to make those parts himself as he could not find a suitable replacement (they seem to work!)

I live in Spain and we also have a hard time when we need some items like this. I know Woodcraft has many options but they don't ship internationally (outside the US). Good luck anyway!

What did your friend use?

Hello,

What did your friend use?

I didnt' know it at the time of writing my first post, but I asked him and he told me he found some rubber bands that came from a totally different machine (definitely not a bandsaw), so he cut them to length and used epoxy (?!) over the wheels to fix the bands... It works but it's not very accurate (not even very safe) and it will never be replaceable again so please don't do like him and try to find a suitable replacement if your bandsaw deserves it!

They need gluing as they stretch and come off when they get older. Glue them on with contact cement.

I have a bandsaw at school that 2 of the bands have come off and it still runs fine without them in place as I havent had time to glue them, but they are designed to help self center the blade on the curve of the band.

Those are the ones I'm looking to get as soon as my tires show any sign of wear. I think rockler has them for my 14" right now for like $25 for a pair which seems like a deal to me, considering when I first looked at them, I think they were close to that price each. I like the idea of no glue and easy install. I just put my new woodslicer on the other day and new high performance spring, wheewwee make a world of difference, the tension guage is pretty much accurate now!!

I'm still curious about using the stone on the back of the blade and its benefits. Im just worried about overdoing it and ending up with a blade with too much drift or something, I haven't read up enough on that tip. Also in watching a woodworking show (Wood Works) the guy was tuning his 20" and he sprayed the blade with some kinda spray he called a dry lubricant or something, he says it helps keep temps down, anyone else do that. If so what is the product?

Glad to hear those urethane tires are nice, been looking forward to getting some. J

I don't know, but in the hardware store I work at we carry a product that's just called The Dry Lube. It's got teflon in it I know, seems like it be helpful. It's apparently nice for usin' on the tables of bandsaws, table saws, jointer, etc. This is it http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/Produ...&click=2744

I would avoid using anything other than the right tire for your machine. The right parts are not expensive, you risk bad cuts(costly), heavy blade were or damage(blades are expensive), and possible damage to your machine(Bands also help cushion the bearings, shafts and wheels as well as the blade, you snap a shaft and you may very well have a high repair bill). Urathane tires are nifty, but go ahead with stock bands if you can't find special bands(normal bands last a long time, and the cost is not as high). Attaching fixed brushes is a good idea to help keep the tires cleaner. I never use lube on the tires themselves, although I do occasionally use lube on the blade. I have never glued a tire on, they should snap in place snuggly(if they don't you have the wrong tire), and will stay put for a very long time (unless you damage them or they have been in service long enough to wear out). Keep your blade clean also, running it with heavy build up will create uneven wear, as well as cause more heat to be generated during cutting(high heat is really bad for the blade and tires, as well as is a sign the blade is not working properly). Running fine without tires? I can say there is no way in heck I could run my bandsaws without tires(functionally), nor would I want to if I could make it work(my blades are too expensive to trash, I have no interest in damaging the machine itself, and I am no about to lose expensive wood to a sloppy cut).

Jason, You can use a stone(don't have to buy those specialty "bandsaw" stones, a regular fine stone works fine). The idea is to true up slight discrepancy in the back of the blade from welding, so that is will track smoothly. If you have a really bad weld or alighnment, I would get a new blade or have it re-welded, stones are not usually used to fix big issues.

Peace,

Rich

Iturra Design is a small company devoted completely to bandsaws. Their catalog is like a manual. Email is KALLL@comcast.net. Its worth it just to get a copy of their catalog. You can also get them from Grizzly Industrial, Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. They all have websites. Grizzly may have a Pacific location as a lot of their products come from Taiwan. I don't think the shipping to Aus. can't be too much as they are not very heavy. Good luck with your search.

By the way, you didn't tell us the brand of saw you have.

Also, check your local library for the DVD "Mastering Your Bandsaw" from Taunton Press. It's got lots of helpful hints.

I have that video. Yes, it's pretty good. Can't stand those little leaf boxes he makes, but he really knows his way around a bandsaw.

I guess I've only watched it twice. I don't remember anything about the "tires" in it, but I do remember him showing how to align the wheels.

Edited by soapbarstrat

I used to work for a company that makes return conveyors for woodworking machinery(edgebander, shaper.... )

We often used urethane belt that was very similar(if not the same) as the bandsaw tire. It came in rolls and we cutted it to length and soldered it together with a simple 100watts soldering iron. Then we trimmed the excess with some cutters. it was very strong. Too bad i don't remember the belt brand...

It took me about 15 seconds to Google Australia and bandsaw tires (not rubber bands)

Urethane tires ebay Aus follow the link he has a store with many different sizes of tires. I suggest not buying rubber as the urethane will not fall apart over time and you generally don't need glue which is sweet.

I don't see how anyone in Europe cant find bandsaw parts (Spain) since Italy is the bandsaw manufacturing capital for high quality bandsaws?????