8 String Build

Im Not a big fan of the headstock, it seems to smallish for that design and it could flow a bit more with the body. I do love the body design man Very cool, I cant wait to see it finished

i'm not a fan of big headstocks, to be honest. especially if they have a chance of making a guitar neck heavy. this headstock is basically the same size as a lot of 6 string headstocks... i don't think more strings should equate to more headstock realty, personally. take the headstock on your green V for instance, its big enough to have 1 more tuner on it and be used on an 8, its not that appealing, especially with the shape of the body...

DSCF5223.JPG

heres a quick mockup with tuners, put a texas ebony headcap on it, you can also see the ebony binding just a little bit. the binding isn't on the furthest part of the fretboard though, it will be tomorrow. i'm going to modify the headstock slightly, to bring the curved part under the low F# to where its quite a bit closer to the low F#. the tuners being "backwards" on the treble side of the headstock is intentional, i really liked how it looked on my Yamaha build(which is still not completed :D ).

I'm not even a big fan of more than 6 strings...but i LOVE the body on this guitar. I also think the headstock looks nice. Just thought I'd get my vote in for that.

I've never thought that you should have 20 times more headstock than you need to hold the tuners..

I can't wait to see this finished.

I wonder if it's possible to have a neck with purple heart wood as the fretboard wood?

carved the neck today

DSCF5224.JPG

also refined the headstock a bit, i'm really happy with how it looks.

http://www.elysian-online.com/8StringProto/DSCF5226.JPG

http://www.elysian-online.com/8StringProto/DSCF5227.JPG

and my hands are dirty cause i've been dealing with stain the last couple of days :D

Edited by ElysianGuitars

• 2 weeks later...

and now i see my carve idea has wound up on a Dean Zelinsky DBZ guitars digital mockup... awesome...

6.jpg

maybe he saw it posted on here in 2006, maybe he didn't, i just know its pretty weird to see something i came up with almost 2 years ago on someone elses guitar...

edit: though it is kind of flattering if its not coincidence, and dean zelinsky took inspiration from my design...

Edited by ElysianGuitars

well, i hate to burst your bubble...but

DeanSoltero-Amberburstbody.jpg

dean z used this design when he was under Dean guitars. its the dean soltero

dont worry, i had a great idea for a V and found that it was already designed (without myknowledge) by the son of the founder of BC rich....

yeah, i forgot about that soltero when i posted that last night, never liked that design though :D i was talking to mike sherman earlier though, and he told me that style of carve has been done in the 80s... i was still in elementary school back then :D

• 3 weeks later...