8 String Build

DSCF5186.JPG

body is African Mahogany, the neck blank is gluing up right now, its gonna be a 3 piece neck, birdseye maple and purpleheart. its going to have a 7 degree tilt back headstock, scarf jointed, and a flamed maple cap, half carved. its going to have a 3+5 headstock as well, and a Texas Ebony fretboard. 28" scale, its going to get a nordstrand humbucker for the bridge pup, and nordstrand single for the neck pup. bridge is going to be a hipshot 8 string fixed bridge, 0.175" thick base plate.

heres the design its based on

http://b6.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/01542/6...542522466_l.jpg

Edited by ElysianGuitars

DSCF5187.JPG

http://www.elysian-online.com/8StringProto/DSCF5188.JPG

got the scarf joint done(also my first scarf joint), i've also cut the end off the neck, the fretboard is going to be 21.25" long, basically come just past the 24th fret, and i might have to add wings to the headstock, but i've not tested the design on it yet. need to get the truss rod, and route the truss rod channel next, as well as make my 28" scale fret slot template, and then get the fretboard to shape. its going to be 3" wide at the 24th fret, and its just over 2 1/4" wide at the nut(uses Ibanez string spacing)

i know you say your set on the design, but to me it seems like the headstock leans a little to the left

other than that i love it!

cant wait to see it progress

on a side note, i just did my first 2 scarf joints a few days ago, how did you glue yours? haha

first i lined up the stripe so that it didn't look funny after carving, clamped it together without glue, and drilled 2 holes with a 1/16" bit, one on each side of the outside line of the neck, and drove a nail through them, so they stayed lined up when i did glue, then i took it all apart, trimmed the nails down so they were just nubs, applied glue, and lined up the headstock piece with the nails, clamped it up with 6 clamps and some clamping cauls, and that was that... hope that made sense :D and yes, the headstock leans a little to the left, partly because the angle the pic of that drawing was taken, it makes the whole guitar look angled, and partly because it does actually lean a bit to the left in the drawing with the rounded bit...

Edited by ElysianGuitars

thanks. i also slotted the fretboard today, and decided that the fretboard is gonna get some nice ebony binding as well. the dual action truss rod is on its way, got a 20" from this place, stewmac only offers 18 and 24, so i thought i'd give these guys a shot

http://www.doeringerguitars.com/servlet/th...2-Guitar/Detail

they haven't gotten back to me on how deep the channel needs to be, so i'll likely have to wait until i get it to be able to route the truss rod channel. and people, please don't fret because my truss rod won't be centered :D it's by design, this is a prototype build, testing quite a few ideas of mine, so thats one thing i'm prototyping. i basically want to get the benefit of a dual truss rod(where you can get different amounts of relief on the bass and treble side of the fretboard) so i'm trying an idea i had of putting the truss rod in between a different set of strings than the middle, it'll be 1 set of strings closer to the bass side, and the goal of it will be to get slightly more relief on the bass side than on the treble side. anyways.

thanks. i also slotted the fretboard today, and decided that the fretboard is gonna get some nice ebony binding as well. the dual action truss rod is on its way, got a 20" from this place, stewmac only offers 18 and 24, so i thought i'd give these guys a shot

they haven't gotten back to me on how deep the channel needs to be, so i'll likely have to wait until i get it to be able to route the truss rod channel. and people, please don't fret because my truss rod won't be centered :D it's by design, this is a prototype build, testing quite a few ideas of mine, so thats one thing i'm prototyping. i basically want to get the benefit of a dual truss rod(where you can get different amounts of relief on the bass and treble side of the fretboard) so i'm trying an idea i had of putting the truss rod in between a different set of strings than the middle, it'll be 1 set of strings closer to the bass side, and the goal of it will be to get slightly more relief on the bass side than on the treble side. anyways.

Sounds interesting, hope this works out, as it sounds like a cool idea. Also, nice job on the carving (front and back)

Sounds interesting, hope this works out, as it sounds like a cool idea. Also, nice job on the carving (front and back)

thanks, was my first time trying the flap wheel attached to my drill press, it worked quite well, though this guitar is heavy as hell(think les paul heavy), so it was pretty tough to hold up for the hour or so that it took

DSCF5196.JPG

worked on the control cavities today. this is an idea i had for taking out as little wood as possible, instead of having all the routes of say an Ibanez, it also saves me from having to make 1 more template, and is pretty easy to be honest. anything to make this easier is good with me! if i use mini pots i can make the holes even smaller, if i use a gibson 3 way instead of a blade switch, can make it even less wood taken out, i think the idea is pretty sound overall. i also did a UV style jack today.

http://www.elysian-online.com/8StringProto/DSCF5197.JPG

Im Not a big fan of the headstock, it seems to smallish for that design and it could flow a bit more with the body. I do love the body design man Very cool, I cant wait to see it finished